Jesus Never Was a Mystery- Jesus Himself Explains – Sigh of Jonah

inhumility

Reaction score
For one I want to make it clear that I believe in the person of Jesus, his love with one God, and God’s love with him, his message, his profound love with humanity, his sacrifice for the truth, his humility, his courage, his un-sinfulness - he is one of the outstanding personalities of the world, I really love him and the Christians.
Some of the learned members have observed in another thread in the Forum titled “Jesus-Neither Literal Son of God nor God” published in the Comparative Studies Board that Jesus was a “Mystery”. I would rather say humbly that let not Jesus be a closed book -a mystery, to me he was an open book for the mankind and please let him remain one like that as his greatness is in that. Let him not be a dogma, a myth, a fiction character, let every body see Jesus in reality, and in open broad daylight. He himself had in fact unfolded this “mystery”, if any, in the likeness of a brilliant sign of Jonah of which he promised and prophesized as a last sign. I narrate it in the words of Mirza Tahir Ahmad:-
The Sign of Jonah
“We prove from the Bible that God did not abandon him and saved him from the ignoble death upon the cross. This can be studied in the light of the facts relating to the period before the Crucifixion, as well as the facts of the Crucifixion itself and after it, as related by the New Testament.
Long before that incident, Jesus promised that no sign would be shown unto the people other than the sign of Jonah.
Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to him, ‘Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you.’ He answered, ‘a wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here.’ (Matt 12:38–41)
So before we determine what happened to Jesus, we must understand what happened to Jonah, because Jesus claimed that the same miracle would be repeated. What was the Sign of Jonah? Did he die in the belly of the fish and was he later on revived from death? There is unanimity among all Christian, Jewish and Muslim scholars that Jonah did not die in the belly of the fish. He precariously hung between life and death and was miraculously saved from that situation; while any other person in his place would have died. Yet some subtle laws of nature, under the Divine command, must have conspired together to save him from death. Remember, we are not debating the issue of that being possible or not. We are only pointing out that Jesus, when he pointed out that the like of what happened to Jonah would also happen to him, he could only have meant that what everyone understood to have occurred in the case of Jonah would occur in his case. No one in the entire world of Judaism, whether in the land of Judea or anywhere else the Jews had dispersed and settled, would have received a different message from this claim of Jesus. They all believed that Jonah, miraculously or otherwise, survived for three days and nights in the belly of the fish and did not die in that period for a single moment. Of course we have our own reservations regarding this view. The story of Jonah as told to us in the Quran does not mention anywhere that it was for three days and nights that Jonah suffered his trials in the belly of the fish. However we return to the case in point and try to bring to light the actual similarities which were predicted by Jesus Christ between Jonah and himself. Those similarities spoke clearly of spending three days and nights in extremely precarious circumstances and a miraculous revival from near death, and not of coming back to life from the dead. The same, Jesus claimed, would happen in his case.”
So Jesus did not die on cross, though he was badly injured became unconscious, went into a coma, yet he survived and was taken to a room like grave, where he was treated by his confidant disciples, when his wounds got healed up he went to spread the gospel among the lost sheep of the Israel (10 tribes of Jews) who had dispersed and settled there, this had also been prophesized by Jesus.

One of the wise members MagnetMan has rightly observed in the thread ‘Jesus-Neither Literal Son of God nor God’ and I quote “The fact that I believe Jesus was a man, makes him all the more remarkable in my view. Gods can do anything. Men struggle to establish a truth.”
The real beauty of Jesus is in that he was a man who struggled, when one deifies him his position is lessened instead of increasing.
Jesus was s/o of the Virgin Mary, she was neither touched by a man for the birth of Jesus nor did she become a wife of God, though she gave a natural birth to a son. Yes, being a man he was a metaphoric son of God as per the proverbial usage common in the OT, he was never a literal son of God.
One could say it is perhaps due to such mythology woven around the person of Jesus that it has provided ground to one Dore Williamson, in this age of rational enlightenment, science and technology, that he has proclaimed that he/she is Jesus s/o Mary, Jesus’ Return, his 2nd arrival in the latter days. One may contact him on website www.dorewilliamson.com .His e-mail address is: dorewilliamson@verizon.net
Those who believe in the first mystery logically may believe in this one also.

inhumility said:
For one I want to make it clear that I believe in the person of Jesus, his love with one God, and God’s love with him, his message, his profound love with humanity, his sacrifice for the truth, his humility, his courage, his un-sinfulness - he is one of the outstanding personalities of the world, I really love him and the Christians.

everyone loves Jesus & I love Jesus & i love you too.

inhumility said:
So Jesus did not die on cross, though he was badly injured became unconscious, went into a coma, yet he survived and was taken to a room like grave, where he was treated by his confidant disciples, when his wounds got healed up he went to spread the gospel among the lost sheep of the Israel (10 tribes of Jews) who had dispersed and settled there, this had also been prophesized by Jesus.

this part needs a little work. the tomb is what is compared to Jonah. 3 days in the belly of a whale, 3 days in the tomb - not - 3 days on the cross dying.

there would be no gospel to spread if Jesus had not died, been buried & rose from the dead. see, Jesus gave his life for the sheep because he loves the sheep. his scars remained but there were no bandages or paramedics. He did not need that to be resurrected from the dead.
His death, burial & resurrection itself IS the Gospel.
when he rose from the grave, he had a changed body that could never never be hurt again & no one could ever kill him again, thus to show us that we will have eternal life & be like him.:)

inhumility said:
The real beauty of Jesus is in that he was a man who struggled, when one deifies him his position is lessened instead of increasing.
I think this is something deserving of consideration ...

inhumility said:
So Jesus did not die on cross, though he was badly injured became unconscious, went into a coma, yet he survived and was taken to a room like grave, where he was treated by his confidant disciples, when his wounds got healed up he went to spread the gospel among the lost sheep of the Israel
And so is this. It doesn't lessen the importance of what Jesus taught one iota. In fact, it simply makes more sense, and is in complete concert with what the Yogis of the East have been able to do for millenia. If our emphasis of faith is on the life and works, the Message, of Jesus of Nazareth ... I fail to see how alternate views of his death (or lack thereof, according to common accounts & presentations), could matter in the least.

Unless, of course, we like those whom Christ rebuked, saying "
a wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign!" If people simply want magic tricks and "miracles," there are a host of other messiahs that performed them in Jesus' day. In India, for a few rupees, you can witness what apparently to some, are miracles. Do they prove that the given Yogi is god, or the son of god? We can pronounce them physically dead, and hours or days later, they can wake up again, walk & talk. Is their resurrection proof ... of Divinity? hmmmm ....

Not so.

andrew

I take it that Q hasnt seen that post yet? lol

We've all heard this before.. its not a new idea introduced to Christians by those trying to deny Christs ultimate sacrifice. If its posted for the sake of discussion its welcomed.. but Im afraid that its not. There is a section on this forum where these ideas are more than welcomed.. I would try posting it there it might receive the response you desire... As it is now.. Its not worthy of discussion in my book because its old and tired as far as Im concerned.

Peace.

I've got to go back and find the historical background...but if I remember correctly the story of Jonah was a satyrical op/ed piece written about 400 BC...about a politician who wouldn't follow through with his appointed duties...

Again all memory....gotta see if I can find more..

and I also recall a discussion of Lazurus' rising and drugs that were being utilized to cause the three day coma...but we can't discuss this here.

this thread aint about Jonah. it aint about Lazarus either. it is about changing the story of the gospel of Jesus Christ & turning it into a lie.

it is about removing our beliefs in the death burial & resurrection of Jesus. it is about making him not the Son of God. it is about going for the throat of the core of what Christians believe & what the 27 books of the NT affirm, confirm & reconfirm happened & it is about kicking against the pricks of the heart.

Jesus did NOT need any bandages or an IV or special ambulances & firemen to raise himself from the dead.

First of all Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Christian Forum. This is not the place to di-sect Jesus, or Christianity or anything that has anything to do with Christianity.

The whole of Christianity is a mystery, and has been since day one. To attempted to pick apart the life and essence of Jesus on the Christian forum is frankly a slap in the face to other Christians. This is becoming an attack on the foundations of Christianity and it will stop here and now. I strongly suggest if it hasn't been done, that you read the Code of Conduct here at CR. It can be found HERE

Furthermore, this discussion can be continued on the belief and spirituality board.

v/r

Quahom

Faithfulservant said:
The wolves.. ACK!

*looks for the Shepard*
notta woof, just a sheep in woof's clothing that enjoys the discussion...
it is about going for the throat of the core of what Christians believe
I think the breadth of christianity goes way beyond the conventional core today...

wil said:
notta woof, just a sheep in woof's clothing that enjoys the discussion...I think the breadth of christianity goes way beyond the conventional core today...

not funny

wil said:
notta woof, just a sheep in woof's clothing that enjoys the discussion...I think the breadth of christianity goes way beyond the conventional core today...

No, it is a personal attack on a particular group's faith...and it will not be tolerated.

Q

Quahom1 said:
No, it is a personal attack on a particular group's faith...and it will not be tolerated.

Q
No, Q, you're taking things a bit personally, methinks. As have others. There is no slap in the face intended. I stand by my belief(s) ... and just because they do not concur with yours, or even those of most of the rest of the world's 2.1 billion Christians ... does not mean that they are any less valid. Or that they are necessarily inaccurate, as far as facts go.

It is indeed unfortunate, that many wear their faith pinned to their sleeves, or would stand - firm, as militiamen, daring others to disturb the proverbial chip. No one seeks that kind of confrontation, and the display of bravado is totally unecessary. Perhaps the discussion does rightly belong on this thread ... and I have practically no knowledge of the texts being discussed.

But recall, if you will, that my opening line, after agreeing with inhumility, was that "It [the notion that Jesus didn't die on the cross] doesn't lessen the importance of what Jesus taught one iota." Sadly, there are those who cannot toleratethe slightest deviation from what is old hat, surely, to everyone who calls him or herself Christian. If differing ideas and interpretations, and beliefs, have no place at CR ... then indeed, proceed with the Inquisition. :( Sol Invictus!

andrew

Quahom1 said:

Q
Just because my view of the scope of what a follower of Jesus could be differs from yours, does not make mine a personal attack....Now of course if I were in the Catholic Forum or the Baptist Forum...I would have to agree... And while I feel that this discussion as the other that inhumility started could rightly be in the christian forum, it really doesn't matter. You've booted them both out....to belief and spirituality...where now my beliefs be they christian or pagan or scientific are now within the realm.

I am saying that the 2.1 billion people who make up christianity won't agree on many tenents, rituals, beliefs of their denomination v. mine or yours...the path is much wider...that is what I said...truth is their are many chrisitans in those 2.1 billion that don't believe in the virgin birth, original sin, trinity, diety of Jesus, resurection....but they count themselves as christian because they believe the value of what Jesus spoke....whether any of these are true or not...

there is a sticky thread on the Christianity forum.. its pretty clear where to appropriately post which topics.. Brian has done an excellent job in giving us all a place to call home here. He has also created a place for us all to be respected so we can have a healthy tolerant relationship with others of differing beliefs. Thats a first in history btw.. :)

Lets not be difficult and break his rules hmm? We are guests in his home.

here is the brief definition of Christianity as given from Brian for Comparative Religon.

jesus christ

Christianity is centered upon the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, as chronicled in the Gospels, and the texts of the New Testament which develop theological themes centered upon him. Believed born around 4 BC, Jesus is said to have begun his ministry around 30 AD, during the time of Tiberius Caesar. After performing great miracles he is said to have been crucified by the Romans under direction from the Jewish religious authorities.

Given the title of Jesus Christ, he has become an important figure of salvation, his death a sacrifice to atone for all human sin since the time of Adam, the first man, as chronicled in the Book of Genesis in the Old Testament.

His hebrew name is originally "Yeshoshua", Jesus being a Greek form of the word. The Latin rendering would be Joshua. The title of Christ itself comes from the Greek word for "annointed", which is a reference to the tradition of Old Testament prophets being annointed in a ritualistic manner. In the New Testament it is used implicitly as the title of the Jewish Messiah.
canon

The whole tradition is believed to have existed at first only in oral form, with various writings slowly coming into existence over the next hundred years after the death of Jesus. There is a great amount of debate among Biblical scholars as to which came first. The Gospels are often cited as having being composed from around 50 AD. However, the first time they appear in the form as we know now does not occur until around the middle of the second century AD.
The Epistles of Saul of Tarsus (Saint Paul) are less contentious, with general agreement of their origin being in in the 50's and 60's AD. They are most likely the first textual material of the accepted Christian canon. This is important as St. Paul effectively is the origin for all Christian theology.
A relatively large number of Christian texts claiming informed origin soon became read about the Roman Empire, some of which are obvious and poor fakes, whereas others present interesting philosophical angles. It took the will of the Roman Emperor Constantine to bring together various Christian Bishops in 325 AD, at the Council of Nicaea, to decide upon an authorised Christian canon for an alerady greatly diversified religion. Despite the strong will of persons such as Arius, it was Athanasius whose viewpoint essentially became dominant in deciding what core of the New Testament was accepted. By 397 AD, with the addition of Revelations at the Council of Chalcedon, the authoritive version of the Bible that we have today was complete.
themes

According to the Gospel of Luke in chapter 10, Jesus is challenged to state which he believes are the most importnat commandments of God. The King James Version translates the reply as thus: "And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself."

wil said:
Yep thats probably one of the biggest problems is people pick and choose what they want to believe and put stuff in and take stuff out and try to put their made up version of Christianity as just that Christianity...unfortunately that added stuff all takes away from the core and the watered down lets make everyone feel good version just does more bad in the long run.

taijasi said:
It is indeed unfortunate, that many wear their faith pinned to their sleeves, or would stand - firm, as militiamen, daring others to disturb the proverbial chip. No one seeks that kind of confrontation, and the display of bravado is totally unecessary. Perhaps the discussion does rightly belong on this thread ... and I have practically no knowledge of the texts being discussed.
andrew

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Sorry I was told to be either hot or cold not lukewarm by Jesus Christ the Son of God, Saviour of the World, First and Last, The Word. So I will continue to wear my faith on my sleeve and respond to anyone trying to tear him down.

wil said:
Just because my view of the scope of what a follower of Jesus could be differs from yours, does not make mine a personal attack.

Joh 15:20
Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

Mat 5:11
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

We have been warned to be ready for the attacks and most are ready and waiting on them...actually we have sorta gotten used to them.

wil said:
I am saying that the 2.1 billion people who make up christianity won't agree on many tenents, rituals, beliefs of their denomination v. mine or yours...the path is much wider...
Mat 7:13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in there at: Mat 7:14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Course we are told what the wide path leads to also...enough said.

Back