New members cannot post links

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
We've recently been targeted by a persistent Russian spammer, who keeps joining to post links for sites, sometimes of an adult nature.

I've therefore taken the proactive step of installing a script that will prevent new members from being able to post links until they have made more than 10 posts.

This will probably be annoying to newer members - smilies are sometimes accidently treated as links - but we need to stop this spamming problem before it gets any worse.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

As if anyone needs my approval...regardless I say "Here...here" or Huzaaah, or whatever you one is supposed to say.

Sounds like a good move, well handled. The new member threw me...I thought folks were labled as new for 100 posts and thought that a little much....
I said:
We've recently been targeted by a persistent Russian spammer, who keeps joining to post links for sites, sometimes of an adult nature.

I've therefore taken the proactive step of installing a script that will prevent new members from being able to post links until they have made more than 10 posts.

This will probably be annoying to newer members - smilies are sometimes accidently treated as links - but we need to stop this spamming problem before it gets any worse.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

The same spammer has been hitting a few of the other religious forums that I frequent as well. Your idea is a great one and I might recommend it (if you don't mind).

lunamoth said:
Speak softly and carry a...

just kidding :) .

Quality over quantity Bruce. :)

luna

Hmmm, as I recall the same orator who coined the phrase above, loved to talk...alot...what was his name? Oh yeah, Theodore Rooselvelt. :D

Spam, comes in a square can and looks like meat. But is it ? I believe I've known people like this.

Good call Brian. This guy has been active in other forums as Aletheia said.

Ummmm... unless I'm mistaken, Jesse is still being shown as the forum's newest member.

flow....

flowperson said:
Spam, comes in a square can and looks like meat. But is it ? I believe I've known people like this.

Good call Brian. This guy has been active in other forums as Aletheia said.

Ummmm... unless I'm mistaken, Jesse is still being shown as the forum's newest member.

flow....

Hey! Spam in a can will keep one alive (I am very familiar with spam in a can...it's called K and C rations). :D

Uhhhh...in some ways then one might call you a Spamman, or Spamaramaman, or the Spamminator, huh ?

Please forgive me. I said elsewhere here that one should not be labeled until fitted with a toe tag while lying on a stone slab soon after life has left them..., but I just could not resist.

flow

I have the script running on a few of my other forums, and when I tried to turn it off to test, they were simply hit with constant spam runs. So it will more likely than not become a regular feature here...

wil said:
yes the only 'meat' pre 1980 that is still Y2K compliant....

Having subsisted on MRE's for an extended period of time the only advice I can give is: don't eat the brownies! I always liked the fruit salad, though. It's like a small, hard sponge. Crunch it up, take a swig from your canteen, and it magically transforms into fruit salad in your mouth!

Chris

No, I believe that some of the people here believe that esoteric foods are relaxing. Just think of this as a relaxing gathering of foodies in the lounge.

OOOps, I just realized that we're not in the lounge, but in the news area. Well, some people do have to munch on things to help digest the news.

flow....:D

Back