What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

DO NOT READ THIS POST. THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR THE DARK KNIGHT!!!

hey alex
i will have you know that i am a huge comic book fan. especially the batman.

as for the movie the dark knight, it is the best movie ever. it is amazing how chris nolan took this story to another level. he basically took the sopranos and added batman, joker and two face into the mix. the result was pure genius.

it wasn't campy like the dreaded joel shumacher versions (batman forever and batman and robin: nipples anyone?) as for the tim burton ones, i could never stand the fact that they made the joker the killer of bruce wayne's parents. that was never in the comic books. and a fat joker? c'mon! heath ledger was a total bad arse in the dark knight. mass murderin' villainy at its best and he was in total control. apart from that, they never revealed his origin. no one ever knew why the joker would do the things he did but alfred said it perfectly," some men just want to watch the world burn." this is one point i liked so much because even to this day, not even the bat knows joker's origin. no one knows in the comic books and that to me is terrifying because it is a mystery.

batman himself? don't even get me started. throughout the movie he is growing as a super hero and most famously, a detective. in the comic books, batman is a genius. he doesn't need lucius fox anymore because he practically created that sonar machine at the end all on his own. this foreshadows batmans reasons for not being trustworthy in the comic books because batman is merely a man who just has way too much power. and when he single handedly takes out a swat team with superhuman precision? then his white eyes? all this is faithful to the comic book.

then we have two face. it was pure amazment on his character. wasn't like in the books but was a rare case where the movie is waaay better than in the comic books. the special effects on his face was just jaw dropping. it was weird watching that lidless eyeball turning when his normal eye would turn to look. and his obsession with the coin. also faithful to the book.

i can go on and on, bro, but i won't. i was reading your previous posts about not being into comic books. since you are an artist, i think you should give the medium a chance because of the artwork that is utilized to present the story. you won't regret it. if you want to start make sure you check out the artwork for jim lee in the storyline of batman:hush. i am pretty sure you would love it. he draws an awesome batman and the villains are just amazing. also if you can check out alex ross' painting interpretations of super heroes. especially for books like kingdom come or justice. sorry if i rambled on but you asked, man. hasta luego, mon ami!

its pathetic. i know. 29 yrs old and still reading comic books. "why can't i leave you!!" *shakes fist into the air*

No! Not at all. It is your hobby/entertainment... That is far from pathetic. It just seemed like I pushed a button or something when I mentioned I wasn't a comic reader lol... Nothing agaisn't comics nor those who read them, no matter what age or sex or whatever.. Just not for me, reading is a weak point in me... And I really cannot focus long enough to read a book or comic... lol... I have trouble keeping focus with audio books.... But, improving slowly...

Without a doubt there is some great amazing writing from comic book authors level par to that of book authors.... Such as Frank Miller... 300? Sin City? Haven't read the comics... But his stuff is pure genious!$£!$£! lol.

Alex P,

thank you for the post.

like most books which are turned into movies, a great deal is lost in the translation. if you've liked his <Frank Miller> movies then you'd really enjoy, i think, the books he's written. he's a truly gifted writer irrespective of the genre, imo.

metta,

~v

just saw Harold and Kumar 2. it was pretty entertaining but rather formulaic which, i suppose, cannot be helped on movies like this.

we've been on a movie watching binge lately... we've finally got our son to sleep in his own bed by 1900hrs so we're enjoying some adult time for the first time in a few years :)

i'm getting close to the end of stuff that is even remotely interesting to me though there are many movies which i've still not seen, so i can't say that there's nothing on but... there's nothing on!

metta,

~v

just saw Harold and Kumar 2. it was pretty entertaining but rather formulaic which, i suppose, cannot be helped on movies like this.

~v

The first one was better.... Had it's moments but no where near as funny.. Then again I am no longer a pot head, that may have something to do with it... I loved the farmer guy in the first one... And his wife ;)

know what you mean about there being nothing on ;) We do not have TV broadcast in our home.. Got a big ass plasma lol but that is my computer monitor, and entertainment we watch is downloaded... :D And I still have to pay those b'tards at the bbc liscense... One day they shall fall to ruin... One day.

alex
That is far from pathetic. It just seemed like I pushed a button or something when I mentioned I wasn't a comic reader lol...
is that how you saw it? wasn't like that at all. if you're not a comic book fan, that's fine of course. i was merely warning you that i have a lot to say about comics. its my plesha... man!
Without a doubt there is some great amazing writing from comic book authors level par to that of book authors.... Such as Frank Miller... 300? Sin City? Haven't read the comics... But his stuff is pure genious!$£!$£! lol.
300 was awesome. but frank miller's artwork is not really my taste. its an acquired taste that i just haven't acquired. but if you also want a kick ass frank miller story, read return of the dark knight. the artwork is amazing there for some reason because to me, his new stuff just isn't. weird. but in the story batman is retired but has to return to being batman because gotham city is being overrun with crime again. the rest of the story is just jawdropping. especially in the end when batman is pitted against superman.

now you want artwork that is easy on the eyes, look up jim lee or alex ross. google it, bruh. as an artist myself, i usually need references for my artwork and these two have been a huge help in learning how to draw. i'm curious though, do you use references?

Son of Rambow...

I download anything and everything.... I got this thinking it was going to be like an action movie spoof... As it was in comedy... It couldn't have been further from that... But, It grew on me and I really enjoyed this film...

IMDB: Son Of Rambow:

SON OF RAMBOW is the name of the home movie made by two little boys with a big video camera and even bigger ambitions. Set on a long English summer in the early 80's, SON OF RAMBOW is a comedy about friendship, faith and the tough business of growing up. We see the story through the eyes of Will, the eldest son of a fatherless Plymouth Brethren family. The Brethren regard themselves as God's 'chosen ones' and their strict moral code means that Will has never been allowed to mix with the other 'worldlies,' listen to music or watch TV, until he finds himself caught up in the extraordinary world of Lee Carter, the school terror and maker of bizarre home movies.

Carter exposes Will to a pirate copy of Rambo: First Blood and from that moment Will's mind is blown wide open and he's easily convinced to be the stuntman in Lee Carters' diabolical home movie. Will's imaginative little brain is not only given chance to flourish in the world of film making, but is also very handy when it comes to dreaming up elaborate schemes to keep his partnership with Lee Carter a secret from the Brethren community. Will and Carter's complete disregard for consequences and innocent ambition means that the process of making their film is a glorious rollercoaster that eventually leads to true friendship. They start to make a name for themselves at school as movie makers but when popularity descends on them in the form of the Pied Piper-esque French exchange student, Didier Revol, their unique friendship and their precious film are pushed, quite literally, to breaking point. Written by Hammer & Tongs

alex
is that how you saw it? wasn't like that at all. if you're not a comic book fan, that's fine of course. i was merely warning you that i have a lot to say about comics. its my plesha... man!

lol ;)

300 was awesome. but frank miller's artwork is not really my taste. its an acquired taste that i just haven't acquired. but if you also want a kick ass frank miller story, read return of the dark knight. the artwork is amazing there for some reason because to me, his new stuff just isn't. weird. but in the story batman is retired but has to return to being batman because gotham city is being overrun with crime again. the rest of the story is just jawdropping. especially in the end when batman is pitted against superman.

I like his style ;/ lol Like the sin city where it is black white and then a touch of red or yellow here and there... Groovy lol...

i'm curious though, do you use references?

I guess sometimes in the past I have, but no I don't tend to use other artists for reference.

I watched The Matrix: Revolutions with philosopher commentary by Ken Wilber and Cornel West.

You watch films with people yapping their faces off all the way through the entire film?... I've always wanted to meet someone who puts narration on... What do you get out of that? lol. I'd get p'd off cause I wanna listen to the film not someone talking the entire movie.

Hey Alex.

This is the only time I've done it, mainly because I was interested in the philosopher's commentary with Ken Wilber and Cornel West. I liked being able to see some of the deeper symbolism in the matrix elucidated. Actually, one other time I did it was with Season 1 of Da Ali G Show. That was pretty good too, funny.

-- Dauer

Ali G lol... Big it up, respect! I sold that guy a TV for a wedding gift to a friend of his... :p

Tonight I plan on watching Lost boys I and II and maybe Journey to the centre of the earth (2008 one) Although I do not hold my breath... I think Monday we watched the original one... Which was very entertaining and excellent... We then watched the first remake... Which lacked detail, and was poor... I feel it was diluted... And I have this feeling the more and more you remake a film the more it becomes diluted... So I don't hold out big hopes for the new one... BUT!!! I will let you peeps know how it goes!

But for now gotta run and get some pizza!! And finish watching an episode of "monster hunters" The history channel hunt and documentary of many mythical creatures (werewolves loch ness aliens heavyfoot yeti giant snakes and so on and so forth) real cool :D

There was a second Lost Boys? :O The one with the vampires?

The day after tomorrow and Austin Powers, the agent who shagged me.

The first one mentioned was tedious but interesting (not any contradiction here, huh?) and the latter was stupid but hilarious. I go for Powers.

...with philosopher commentary by Ken Wilber and Cornel West.
I'm guessing this is the interviews with the cast and crew? Matrix isn't my particular cup o' tea (boo, hiss, yeah I know...). Recently I did watch a lot of the commentary interviews in the Bourne series (Identity, Conspiracy, Ultimatum). Bought the "extended" version of the first movie and was disappointed, I am truly glad they didn't use that version as the primary. But a lot of the scene set-ups were pretty cool. They sure went through a lot of Mini Coopers and Trabants in the first two movies.

And I have this feeling the more and more you remake a film the more it becomes diluted... So I don't hold out big hopes for the new one...
Watched the new King Kong last week, was kind of impressed. The effects have certainly come a long way, even if the acting left some to be desired (Jack Black? As the hero? c'mon...). Sure beats the first remake, which I have no intent to purchase. On the other hand I did buy a collector's edition of the original black and white movie a few months back, and I thoroughly enjoyed the commentary by the crew members still alive. They pointed out a lot of really cool back story about how they made the movie, which way back then was really ground-breaking as far as effects go.

BTW, have you seen the new X-files movie, and is it worth the price of a theater ticket?

Anybody here familiar with an oldie "Billy Jack?" I have it (tape and disk), but I'm looking for the sequel, "the Trial of Billy Jack."

Back