What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

My "computer" at home is a tablet; not enough memory to download. I might have to get another desktop or laptop if/when I can. :oops:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Does your Tablet use micro sd cards or have a USB port for a thumb drive? Most do and a 90 minute video downloaded as an MP4 is less than 500mb at 720dpi. That's pretty much how my wife and I watch TV these days. Download everything to a thumb drive and watch it later.

I walked out of The Astronaut's Wife because I couldn't suspend my disbelief. I'm going to watch one of my DVDs later (just have to choose one) to get the foulness out...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Breakfast at Tiffany's was the movie of the week in the community room last night for the seventh time (as far as I know.)

I don't mind it, but pretty much all of the main cast had other movies that are readily available through the public library, especially Audrey Hepburn (Roman Holiday and Sabrina spring to mind immediately sans effort!)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

I love this movie! I read the book awhile back and thought it was excellent!

This is a continuation of my previous post.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (it was the seventh time in the community room.) I don't mind the movie, but what about the other movies by the main cast? I mean, Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Wait Until Dark, My Fair Lady and Charade are just a few of the late Audrey Hepburn's, and then we have the late George Perpard and the late Buddy Epson... The only actor that doesn't have any other roles as far as I know is the :kitty:, and that's questionable.

If the guy who's "in charge" of "movie night" has a library card for the county library system, he can get all of the movies that they have.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I just watched "Silver Lining Playbook" - Robert De Niro, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawerence - its a great movie! I love it!

Mary Poppins (again! :rolleyes:)

I wish that the guy who "runs" the apartment complex's "movie night" would take more chances with his choices instead of just going with the same old routine ("I like the movie because it has actors whose names I recognize.")

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

"Mother!" With Jennifer Lawrence

Very weird & good.

It's supposed to be an allegory for Religious and environmental themes according to many.

A portion of Justice League from 2017 (not worth the time that I spent watching imho.) Why does the guy in charge of movie night at the apartment community refuse to look outside "famous" actors for his movies, especially if there are many animated/anime movies that are much better as well as relevant biographies (like I Am Not Your Negro.)

I apologize for my rant here.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The Shape of Water. Ok. Not sure if it was best picture worthy, but I’m still working my way through the other nominees from the latest Oscars.

The Shape of Water. Ok. Not sure if it was best picture worthy, but I’m still working my way through the other nominees from the latest Oscars.

This might make you feel validated in your opinion: The Shape of Water won several Golden Schmo(sp?) awards (as did Justice League.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

This might make you feel validated in your opinion: The Shape of Water won several Golden Schmo(sp?) awards (as did Justice League.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
Yeah, that helps a bit. I saw Justice League. It definitely deserved Golden Schmo and Razzie Awards.

Finally watched Suicide Squad, and I liked it.

I am a big D.C. fan, so it's hard to not like it. The bad guys weren't "bad" enough, and although Margot Robbie did a good job, it wasn't quite the Harley Quinn that I know, but movies always deviate some - giving a new interpretation, which is fine.

Watched "Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri" last night and it kicks a large amount of buttocks! Definitely lived up to the hype for me.

"Annihilation", a mind-bending psychological/sci-fi thriller from director Alex Garland, starring Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriquez, Oscar Isaac, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny, et al.

According to biologist Lena (Portman), during some half-serious pillow talk with husband Kane (Isaac), God has made a "mistake"-- that the Hayflick limit which ensures senescence and eventual death is not natural, but due to a fault in our genes. If it could somehow be circumvented, a young Lena jokes, "I could look like this forever".

Enter, "The Shimmer" (aka Area X). It starts with a small meteorite striking a lighthouse. Witnesses report a "shimmer" surrounding the lighthouse. From there it begins to spread and shows no signs of stopping, altering all forms of life in its path at a cellular/genetic level. There are mutations, sometimes beautiful and sometimes cancerous, and "duplicates" of form: doppelgangers if you will.

Is it destroying (annihilating), or creating something new? Perhaps both.

Some quotes from the movie:

Dr. Ventress: "It's destroying everything."
Lena: "It's not destroying. It's making something new."

Kane: "I thought I was a man. I had a life. People called me Kane. And now I'm not so sure. If I wasn't Kane, what was I? Was I you? Were you me? My flesh moves like liquid. My mind is just... cut loose. I can't bear it... I can't bear it."

Contains some horror elements... Those who have an aversion to horror might want to skip this one. Not a feel good movie or one which neatly ties up all the loose ends. Ambiguous, very little of the good guy/bad guy formula in it. I found it captivating.

I saw Won't You Be My Neighbor?, the documentary about Fred Rogers (of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood fame.) There were several rather interesting things that I learned about the man, and I highly recommend it.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Back