Let The Dead Bury The Dead

T

truthseeker

Hello All,

It's been awhile for me - I missed you and hope all is well.;)

What does Jesus mean when He says "Let the dead bury the dead" - Philosophically and/or Literally?

It was an idiomatic expression in Aramaic. The guy asks "Let me bury my father." This was an idiomatic expression (like our expression "time flies"). He did not literally mean that his dad was dead and he just needed to organize the funeral. In Aramaic in that area the expression means something to the effect of: "My father is elderly and could die soon. How about I hang out until he is gone, and then I'll come follow you around." Now what did Jesus' reply mean... I have some ideas, but you can see how this makes the exchange much more meaningful. (Not to mention understandable- before looking up the Aramaic on this I always wondered why Jesus couldn't give the poor guy a day or so!)

I never kniew the aramaic phrase....I just knew it didn't make sense to me litterally. And anytime anything in the bible doesn't make sense to me litterally I start exploring in my mind.

I took it to be along the lines of seperating brother from sister, son from father. We are on a new path, we've got old ideas that we can cling to, comforting notions and habits we need to break. If we are to choose the new path, we need to leave that baggage behind and move forward.

Didn't take it to mean anything regarding a physical death of a family member....but the time for a virtual death of an archaic ideal, one which is holding us back that we must release. The biggest issue on this path is carrying crap from the old ways...and giving time and homage to it.

my thoughts.

peace and blessings.

Interesting - I'd actually presumed that it really was the death of Joseph being refered to. I'd actually thought that's why Joseph of Arimathea (the uncle) had paid to bury Jesus, instead of Joseph the father - whom we seem to see precious little of in the Gospels.

he is giving insight to what your priority should be to follow him.

path_of_one said:
It was an idiomatic expression in Aramaic. The guy asks "Let me bury my father." This was an idiomatic expression (like our expression "time flies"). He did not literally mean that his dad was dead and he just needed to organize the funeral. In Aramaic in that area the expression means something to the effect of: "My father is elderly and could die soon. How about I hang out until he is gone, and then I'll come follow you around." Now what did Jesus' reply mean... I have some ideas, but you can see how this makes the exchange much more meaningful. (Not to mention understandable- before looking up the Aramaic on this I always wondered why Jesus couldn't give the poor guy a day or so!)

As always Jesus gave us "parables" and inuendos, meant for those who wanted to learn the truth (dig deeper). There seems to always be a two part/fold meaning to what He told people.

To follow Christ means, one can't look back, to what used to be. Else the struggle between spirit and "flesh" would distract the "follower" from what Jesus wanted to show them, and wanted them to achieve.

It makes perfect sense actually. Can't drive a car, while constantly looking in the rear view mirror...

v/r

Q

Thanks for your responses. Everyone's response brought on an interesting chain of thought, especially Chris':D

Thanks, Path. I understand what you're saying in general, but about the idiom, not quite. I'm studying Aramaic this semester, so I'll pay close attention and ask questions about this thing.

Jesus was not saying you cannot bury your dead love ones, but there is never anything in this world no matter how important,to stop us being a follower of christ. that is how i see it , but there may be more to it. i dont think the man was meaning that his father was really dead at that time,But the man meant that his father was old and sooner or later would die; and he wanted to be around at his deathbed, so the man was maybe postponing being a follower of christ . by making exuses, i might be wrong about this , not quite sure.

mee said:
Jesus was not saying you cannot bury your dead love ones, but there is never anything in this world no matter how important,to stop us being a follower of christ. that is how i see it , but there may be more to it. i dont think the man was meaning that his father was really dead at that time,But the man meant that his father was old and sooner or later would die; and he wanted to be around at his deathbed, so the man was maybe postponing being a follower of christ . by making exuses, i might be wrong about this , not quite sure.

Had nothing to do with the dead. He was stating one can't look behind himself, while trying to follow Christ. He said the same thing to the Apostles (follow me and I'll make you fishers of men).

When one retires after so many years, we aren't to look back and pine for what was, because that chapter is over. We should be looking ahead for what is new for us...that is where we will do the most good, not sitting in a chair, remembering what was...(lots of inuendo in Christs' message about letting the dead bury their dead).

v/r

Q

Back