The Holy Spirit

FLOWERGIRL

Reaction score
I hear Jehovah's witnesses believe that the Holy Spirit isn't God. therefore I have a question. Only God has existed eternally, so when was, and how was, the Holy Spirit created?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

FLOWERGIRL said:
I hear Jehovah's witnesses believe that the Holy Spirit isn't God. therefore I have a question. Only God has existed eternally, so when was, and how was, the Holy Spirit created?

According to Genesis, already was, just like the Father and the other part of "Us" and "Our" that is not defined but seems to manifest itself as always been. Except for one small detail...the Holy Spirit "hovered" over the waters, at the time that "God" was getting ready to make the Earth (universe). Infact, the "Holy Spirit" is specifically identified as doing just that while "God" is contemplating the beginning of the Earth...

Interesting.

FLOWERGIRL said:
the holy spirit is part of god, so it exists eternally as well.

FLOWERGIRL said:

As you have mentioned JW i will also mention them in relation to Gods ACTIVE FORCE(holy spirit) .
just as the manifestation of God’s holy spirit was on the early disciples so it is manifest on JW .You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me . . . to the most distant part of the earth." (Acts 1:8) Jesus’ promise to infuse his disciples with "power" and "holy spirit" in order to carry out their God-assigned work still applies today. and the holy spirit (active force) is well and truely working among them.
And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. matthew 24;14 when Gods active force is behind a work great things are acomplished.

Thanks for your replies. Interesting!

Mee, Thank for your reply also, however may I ask you the question again as it doesn't appear that you actually addressed the question?

Only God has existed eternally, so when was, and how was, the Holy Spirit created?

Thanks Mee :)

FLOWERGIRL said:
Thanks for your replies. Interesting!

Mee, Thank for your reply also, however may I ask you the question again as it doesn't appear that you actually addressed the question?

Only God has existed eternally, so when was, and how was, the Holy Spirit created?

Thanks Mee :)

The Scriptures themselves unite to show that God’s holy spirit is not a person but is God’s active force by which he accomplishes his purpose and executes his will.

Dor said:

I love that reply.

I assume this is a reference to the standard doctrine "God in three persons". Three persons, one God. It's a paradox, it is an impossibility. I think ours is the only religion that enshrines a total impossibility at the heart of its understanding.

I like that. It's an admission that we can't understand the composition of God. If we could we would be God. Are we trying to build a tower to reach Heaven?

Actually it was to Mee saying scripture uniting to show that God's holy spirit is not a person, cause the Bible in my hands if anything shows he is. :)

mee said:

The Scriptures themselves unite to show that God’s holy spirit is not a person but is God’s active force by which he accomplishes his purpose and executes his will.

I'm sorry if I haven't made my questions very clear, so in light of what you have said (above) I will ask you some questions concerning the active force.

Is the active force part of God?

Has the active force always existed like The eternal God has?

Or

Is the active force another of God's creations?

FLOWERGIRL said:
I'm sorry if I haven't made my questions very clear, so in light of what you have said (above) I will ask you some questions concerning the active force.

Or

What an excellent question!

I truly look forward to the varied answers that might come of it.

res
mee said:

What Bible verse is that? Even after isegeteting scripture, you still cant come up with that heresy.

Dor said:
Actually it was to Mee saying scripture uniting to show that God's holy spirit is not a person, cause the Bible in my hands if anything shows he is. :)

Yes. That's what I said. Three PERSONS. The creed goes "I believe in the Holy Ghost, WHO proceeds from the Father and the Son, WHO with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, WHO spoke by the prophets..."

This is standard Christian doctrine. Blame those fourth cenmtury dudes if you must. Jesus said - I will send a comforter - and I don't think he mant a bottle of JD. He spoke of the Holy Spirit as a person. Of course our experience of the Spirit as a person is not to say that this is his essential nature, and Jesus may have expressed himeself in this way to make it easier for us to understand. But definitely part of God I would say.

THE Bible’s use of "holy spirit" indicates that it is a controlled force that Jehovah God uses to accomplish a variety of his purposes. To a certain extent, it can be likened to electricity, a force that can be adapted to perform a great variety of operations.
In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word most frequently used for "spirit" is ru´ach, meaning "breath; wind; spirit." In the Greek Scriptures, the word is pneu´ma, having a similar meaning.

is it just me or is someone unable answer the questions asked :confused:
i thought it was pretty clear.. it was in english... hmmm

electricity or an active force does not grieve when we sin, nor does it groan to god our prayers, nor does it reveal truth, nor does it know the depths of our soul, even the depths of god the father. the downgrading of the holy spirit to electricity or an active force does not jive with scripture.

He said it could be likened to electricity, not that it is electricity. It's like a simile or metaphorical explanation of something that cannot be explained in absolute terms.

Anyway, to answer the question, and keeping in mind that I am on the Christian board: The Holy Spirit has existed for as long as God because it is part of God, apparently. That's the standardly accepted answer, but in taking the definition of the Holy Spirit as an active force (which I see no problem with), then it has only existed per se when there was something passive to mold, e.g. the Creation.

Yeah, "heresy, blasphemy!" I know.

mee said:
THE Bible’s use of "holy spirit" indicates that it is a controlled force that Jehovah God uses to accomplish a variety of his purposes. To a certain extent, it can be likened to electricity, a force that can be adapted to perform a great variety of operations.
In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word most frequently used for "spirit" is ru´ach, meaning "breath; wind; spirit." In the Greek Scriptures, the word is pneu´ma, having a similar meaning.

Hi Mee, I appreciate you taking the time to post on this thread but it appears your posts aren't really answering any of the following the questions. which are;

Or

An answer to any of the three above questions would be great. Thanks Mee.

moseslmpg said:
He said it could be likened to electricity, not that it is electricity. It's like a simile or metaphorical explanation of something that cannot be explained in absolute terms.
lol.. although i appreciate your generous explanation, i assure you i understand what he was saying quite clearly and i understand what a simile and metaphor are without a doubt.

Back