The Holy Spirit

From heaven, Jesus poured out the promised holy spirit upon his followers on the day of Pentecost in 33 C.E. (Acts 1:4, 5; 2:1-11) As a helper, the spirit gave them increased understanding of God’s will and purpose and opened up his prophetic Word to them. (1 Corinthians 2:10-16; Colossians 1:9, 10; Hebrews 9:8-10) That helper also empowered Jesus’ disciples to be witnesses in all the earth. (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8; Ephesians 3:5, 6)

pattimax said:
But I am DEFINITELY a servant of My Lord and "watchtowers" and the Bible do not say the same thing.
A litral watchtower is to keep a lookout for things on the horizon,at first it is a bit hazy but as the thing comes closer it becomes more in view until it is as clear as can be .we are now in the time of the end and things are very clear indeed.

mee said:
A litral watchtower is to keep a lookout for things on the horizon,at first it is a bit hazy but as the thing comes closer it becomes more in view until it is as clear as can be .we are now in the time of the end and things are very clear indeed.

At land level a man can see for 3 miles until the horizon curves below his sight. At 50 feet above land level a man can see 10 miles. At 100 feet, only 13 miles...

At 50,000 feet a man can see for 300 miles (if he is still conscious).

However, regardless of the distance, a man can see trouble quite clearly, before it ever comes into view. He may choose to ignore it, but none the less he registered it's approach, way before he sees it.

There is nothing "hazy" about a lookout's perception. Unless the lookout is not clear of eye and/or of mind...

This, I know to be fact.

Since the Good Lord made it quite clear that none know the time of God's arrival back here, I doubt the keenest eye would catch God before He appeared. And watch towers are good up to a point, but can do nothing concrete when the enemy drops in from behind.

If I had a choice to having a far sighted man, or a near sighted man at my side, when trouble occured, I would choose the near sighted man...

Why? reality is literally in his face, not on some horizon. And he can see clearly what is before him...

Quahom1 said:
At land level a man can see for 3 miles until the horizon curves below his sight. At 50 feet above land level a man can see 10 miles. At 100 feet, only 13 miles...

At 50,000 feet a man can see for 300 miles (if he is still conscious).

However, regardless of the distance, a man can see trouble quite clearly, before it ever comes into view. He may choose to ignore it, but none the less he registered it's approach, way before he sees it.

There is nothing "hazy" about a lookout's perception. Unless the lookout is not clear of eye and/or of mind...

This, I know to be fact.

Since the Good Lord made it quite clear that none know the time of God's arrival back here, I doubt the keenest eye would catch God before He appeared. And watch towers are good up to a point, but can do nothing concrete when the enemy drops in from behind.

If I had a choice to having a far sighted man, or a near sighted man at my side, when trouble occured, I would choose the near sighted man...

Why? reality is literally in his face, not on some horizon. And he can see clearly what is before him...
yes, as you say noone knows the day or the hour not even Jesus himself knows that one. that is why Jesus said to keep looking ,keep awake. and the holy spirit directs Gods people in the right direction.thrilling times indeed.

mee said:
yes, as you say noone knows the day or the hour not even Jesus himself knows that one. that is why Jesus said to keep looking ,keep awake. and the holy spirit directs Gods people in the right direction.thrilling times indeed.

He also said "worry not"...I think He means it.

christ tells us "fear not". fear not about dates that cause people to take out all their money, quit their jobs, prepare for the world to end. fear not for fear of hell if one doesnt do a certain amount of works to be worthy. fear not about our lives and this world. fear not about the bad things that are happening and will happen. by putting my life in the hands of jesus, i fear not. fear not about being judged, if you repent to christ jesus he will forgive you. i trust in the lord, and i do not put my heart in paradise earth, or a mansion, or on a throne, or in a small group of rulers...no, i put my heart with christ because that is all that matters -- to be in the presence of the Lord. I do not care if there is darkness, fog, confusion... the Lord is the lamp at my feet, he is the light of the world, and he lights my way so i do not stumble.

What is even wrong with JW? How does their translation differ from the KJV? You guys seem to have a pretty strong opinion about it. I know its off topic but I want to understand.

Quahom1 said:
He also said "worry not"...I think He means it.
yes,
Humbly heeding the Bible’s advice to keep our priorities in clear focus and to live one day at a time can help us to avoid undue anxiety.—1 Peter 5:6, 7.
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time; while you throw all your anxiety upon him, because he cares for you. ...........

moseslmpg said:
What is even wrong with JW? How does their translation differ from the KJV? You guys seem to have a pretty strong opinion about it. I know its off topic but I want to understand.
it changes scripture to meet their agenda. also many have called into question those that are changing scripture, and their credibility and education are questionable. changing scripture to meet their agenda shows up again in their changing "prophetic dates" to meet their agenda. yet neither their teachings nor dates are recognized by mainstream christianity.

moseslmpg said:
Well a few things...they teach against the Trinity.
Jesus is the archangel Michael and the Holy Spirit is just some force.
Jesus was the first Created being of Jehovah. Jesus did not rise in a physical body.
Jesus did not die on a cross. Jesus began his heavenly reign in 1914. Only 144,000 go to heaven and only JW qualify for that.
The watchtower is the only channel for God's truth. Only JW are saved. Works based salvation, no hell, soul ceases to exist. Some other things but there is quick run down.

Their actual translation of the Bible they change it to fit their theology.

moseslmpg said:
from a JW point of view the NWT is not clouded by religious tradition and phylosophy.
An outstanding feature of the New World Translation involved the restoration of God’s name, Jehovah. In ancient copies of the Hebrew Bible, the divine name is represented by four consonants that may be transliterated as YHWH or JHVH. This distinctive name appears nearly 7,000 times in the so-called Old Testament alone. (Exodus 3:15; Psalm 83:18) Clearly, our Creator intended his worshipers both to know and to use that name! so rather than taking that name out of the bible , as many bibles have, the new world translation has put it back into its rightful place where it should be in the first place.
Luther’s Bible was criticized because it was produced by a man who exposed the shortcomings of the traditional religion of his day. His translation opened the way for ordinary people to see the truth of much of what he said. Similarly, the New World Translation is criticized because it is published by Jehovah’s Witnesses, who outspokenly declare that many of Christendom’s doctrines are not found in the Bible. The New World Translation—indeed, any Bible—makes this evident.

pattimax said:
I'm learning new things Mee, talk about Jesus from a J.W. point of view.

No, Pattimax. This isn't the thread to discuss Jehovah Witness points of view. There are specific places within the Christianity forum that do discuss at length, the Jehovah Witness perspective.

This thread is here to discuss the Holy Spirit, and as such there have been noted concerns about the topic going off kilter.

Let us talk about the Holy Spirit, as originally intended...as a person, not a force. (though I would not want to mess with that force of spirit, for love nor money):eek: :eek:

v/r

Q

A comparison of Bible texts that refer to the holy spirit shows that it is spoken of as ‘filling’ people; they can be ‘baptized’ with it; and they can be "anointed" with it. (Luke 1:41; Matt. 3:11; Acts 10:38) None of these expressions would be appropriate if the holy spirit were a person.

pattimax said:
I'm learning new things Mee, talk about Jesus from a J.W. point of view.
as this thread is about the holy spirit i better keep it on track , or i will be in trouble .....again......:)
The correct identification of the holy spirit must fit all the scriptures that refer to that spirit. With this viewpoint, it is logical to conclude that the holy spirit is the active force of God. It is not a person but is a powerful force that God causes to emanate from himself to accomplish his holy will.—Ps. 104:30; 2 Pet. 1:21; Acts 4:31.

mee said:
as this thread is about the holy spirit i better keep it on track , or i will be in trouble .....again......:)
The correct identification of the holy spirit must fit all the scriptures that refer to that spirit. With this viewpoint, it is logical to conclude that the holy spirit is the active force of God. It is not a person but is a powerful force that God causes to emanate from himself to accomplish his holy will.—Ps. 104:30; 2 Pet. 1:21; Acts 4:31.

naw, not in trouble, just a pain in the...well sometimes.:rolleyes: :D

Do not you see?
WHO is in your Heart?
When Jesus left our Helper, he left the Holy Spirit which is a part of himself. Yes, maybe in Genesis it could be percieved as a "force", but we are talking New Testament here.

Back