The Holy Spirit

moseslmpg said:
Well, that makes sense doesn't it, being that the Holy Spirit is God as well.
sometimes the more simple, less-wordy, straight to the point explanations are the best.
How's this one... this holy spirit is the Holy Spirit of God.

In the Scriptures it is not unusual for something to be personified. Wisdom is said to have children. (Luke 7:35) Sin and death are called kings. (Romans 5:14, 21) At Genesis 4:7 The New English Bible (NE) says: "Sin is a demon crouching at the door," personifying sin as a wicked spirit crouching at Cain’s door. But, of course, sin is not a spirit person; nor does personifying the holy spirit make it a spirit person.
At Matthew 28:19 reference is made to "the name . . . of the holy spirit." But the word "name" does not always mean a personal name, either in Greek or in English. When we say "in the name of the law," we are not referring to a person. We mean that which the law stands for, its authority. Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament says: "The use of name (onoma) here is a common one in the Septuagint and the papyri for power or authority." So baptism ‘in the name of the holy spirit’ recognizes the authority of the spirit, that it is from God and functions by divine will.

mee said:
In the Scriptures it is not unusual for something to be personified. Wisdom is said to have children. (Luke 7:35) Sin and death are called kings. (Romans 5:14, 21) At Genesis 4:7 The New English Bible (NE) says: "Sin is a demon crouching at the door," personifying sin as a wicked spirit crouching at Cain’s door. But, of course, sin is not a spirit person; nor does personifying the holy spirit make it a spirit person.
At Matthew 28:19 reference is made to "the name . . . of the holy spirit." But the word "name" does not always mean a personal name, either in Greek or in English. When we say "in the name of the law," we are not referring to a person. We mean that which the law stands for, its authority. Robertson’s Word Pictures in the New Testament says: "The use of name (onoma) here is a common one in the Septuagint and the papyri for power or authority." So baptism ‘in the name of the holy spirit’ recognizes the authority of the spirit, that it is from God and functions by divine will.

sorry dude. There are over 100 specific points where the Holy Spirit is specifically stated to have personification (that is to say, a personality,character), not a "holy force". Water can be a holy force to the ones it benefits, as can wind, or an earth quake.

edit: I just realized what you were pointing out, that is the spirits of deceipt. Or 'demons' if you will. They too have character and personality. They are real spirits, that we wish to avoid. In fact, the Bible tells us at one point there were so many in one man that they identified themselves as "Legion" (for we are many).

So, why would one down play or denounce the viability of the Holy Spirit of God, if in fact there are spirits of antithapy?

edit: just curious of your point of view, I should add.

Last edited:
mee...my questions is... how can you blaspheme the Holy Spirit.. or grieve the Holy Spirit if its not a person???

Blue Jay said:
Mee, what Bible are you using? I am looking at Gen. 1:2 in five English translations and not one uses the term "God's active force."

Welcome to the New World Translation....the Watchtowers own personal bible translation.

Dor said:
Welcome to the New World Translation....the Watchtowers own personal bible translation.
yes that is correct ,this translation gets to the original meanings,and that is what a good translation should do, that is why i really like the NWT because i like to have an accurate knowledge about the word of God. because then it will lead me to everlasting life. yes the NWT is published by Jehovahs wittnesses and getting to the truth of Gods word is very important to Jehovahs witnesses.

Quahom1 said:
sorry dude. There are over 100 specific points where the Holy Spirit is specifically stated to have personification (that is to say, a personality,character), not a "holy force". Water can be a holy force to the ones it benefits, as can wind, or an earth quake.

edit: I just realized what you were pointing out, that is the spirits of deceipt. Or 'demons' if you will. They too have character and personality. They are real spirits, that we wish to avoid. In fact, the Bible tells us at one point there were so many in one man that they identified themselves as "Legion" (for we are many).

So, why would one down play or denounce the viability of the Holy Spirit of God, if in fact there are spirits of antithapy?
yes, you are right there are real spirits but that was not the point i was refering to.

mee said:
yes that is correct ,this translation gets to the original meanings,and that is what a good translation should do, that is why i really like the NWT because i like to have an accurate knowledge about the word of God. because then it will lead me to everlasting life. yes the NWT is published by Jehovahs wittnesses and getting to the truth of Gods word is very important to Jehovahs witnesses.

But Mee how do you explain away that JW truth changes constantly.

Dor said:
But Mee how do you explain away that JW truth changes constantly.
the bible never changes , that is truth.
God uses his spirit to enlighten those who serve him. i think it is great when new understanding comes along. it is just as the bible says ,the light will get brighter and brighter and then our pathway become clearer and clearer. but if we leave the illuminated path we will only be on the dark gloomy road .and then we will not get any spiritual light at all . and yes many have lost sight of the lighted path and they have only got them selves to blame.
The prophecy at Isaiah 2:2-5 shows that in our time God is gathering out of all nations people who want spiritual enlightenment so that they can learn and practice true worship. Verse 3 says: "He will instruct us about his ways, and we will walk in his paths." Verse 5 invites truth seekers: "Come and let us walk in the light of Jehovah."

at 1 John 5:6-8 (NE) not only the spirit but also "the water, and the blood" are said to be "witnesses." But water and blood are obviously not persons, and neither is the holy spirit a person.

"And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in you." ... "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him, and make Our abode with him." (John 14:16-17, 23)

if the spirit has the ability to come to you and dwell in you teaching you things, assisting you in your walk with god, and revealing truth about god to you, then it is evident that when jesus says "we will come to him and make our abode with him", he is saying that the father, the son, and the holy spirit are one, because God is one, and by accepting christ, then you accept the father who sent him, and when you accept the holy spirit that christ sent, you have in actuality accepted the father, the son, and the holy spirit into your life as the holy spirit dwells with you.

the holy spirit gave Jesus and other servants of God the power to do what humans ordinarily could not do

Seems the Holy Spirit is in fact "a force to be reconed with". :eek:

Oh, by the way, isn't the ultimate blasphemy that which one takes credit for what the "Holy Spirit" has done? I read that somewhere...

Ironic that a "force" would take offense to anything.

Back