The Holy Spirit

The answer to those questions depends on your own outlook. On one hand the Holy Spirit has always existed in potentia as a part (and the whole) of God, and is thus eternal. However, technically in its role as an active force, it can be said that it began existing relatively when God wished to create Creation. However, the Holy Spirit is no more a product of God's creations than He Himself is.

I don't know how else to explain it really.

Edit: Blazn, I was more referring to Terrence's post, if he ever did post. I thought he did, but I can't really be sure of things like this. Anyway, I don't want to start anything.

power in action.
It is Jehovah’s active force, invisible and powerful, sent forth to accomplish his purpose.

At Genesis 1:2 the Bible states that "God’s active force ["spirit" (Hebrew, ru´ach)] was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters." Here, God’s spirit was his active force working to shape the earth.

a "Christian" mod. on this board takes what I say off because its preaching Christanity to people. If Jesus preached the same Christanity that some of you guys preach today, he'd never been cursified. Because of some of you, the name of God is blasmphed among the nations.

Terrence said:
a "Christian" mod. on this board takes what I say off because its preaching Christanity to people. If Jesus preached the same Christanity that some of you guys preach today, he'd never been cursified. Because of some of you, the name of God is blasmphed among the nations.

Code of Conduct (COC) for comparative-religion.com (CR)

NOTE: CR is intended to be a useful reference resource for people looking to find out more about specific religions.
In that regard, CR employs a “walled garden” approach to the individual faith boards.
This means that the individual faith boards are for persons of that faith to discuss faith issues in the context of their faith, and invite interested questions and discussions from persons outside of that faith about it.
CR does not support direct attacks on any faith, and suitable critical evaluations about any faith needs to be made on a more neutral board, such as the Comparative Studies, or Politics and Society, if it involves critical discussion of political events.
GENERAL INTRODUCTION

This is an interfaith forum, intended to allow people to discuss and learn about different religions and spiritual paths from a very diverse membership.
Although there is room for critical opinions, general tolerance and mutual respect of some degree is required, and especially the acceptance that other people can hold differing views.
We have nothing against people sharing their faith with other members, but CR does not tolerate the presence of members whose sole purpose is to preach at others of different or the same faith.
Neither does CR tolerate the presence of self-appointed modern-day prophets, nor anyone else aggressively seeking to promote their own agendas here.
CR especially does not allow self-promotional posts from new members, even if this includes links which are non-commercial.
Commercial promotions are strictly prohibited, and attempts to post affiliate links on the forums may result in your being reported to your affiliate manager.
Faith specific boards are generally a place to share thoughts, ask general questions, and enter interested discussions regarding that faith. Please note that faith boards are not intended as a place for aggressive criticism of the said faith.
The Comparative Studies and Belief & Spirituality boards offer a place to compare and contrast belief systems.
At no point does CR offer itself as a personal soapbox for people to attack other religious viewpoints.

Nuff said.

moseslmpg said:
...the Holy Spirit is no more a product of God's creations than He Himself is.
simple and smart.
moseslmpg said:
Edit: Blazn, I was more referring to Terrence's post, if he ever did post. I thought he did, but I can't really be sure of things like this. Anyway, I don't want to start anything.
no offense taken whatsoever
Terrence said:
a "Christian" mod. on this board takes what I say off because its preaching Christanity to people.
its a comparative religion forum, so diff strokes... there are plenty of good christian forums on the internet if the inability to preach and discuss with like-minded people is too frustrating.

Jehovah the Creator has power. His power operates through his spirit or active force.
As Elihu said: "The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." (Job 33:4;

Ananaias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit...?" Peter later states in the next verse, "You have not lied to men but to God.""

mee said:
At Genesis 1:2 the Bible states that "God’s active force ["spirit" (Hebrew, ru´ach)] was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters." Here, God’s spirit was his active force working to shape the earth.
Mee, what Bible are you using? I am looking at Gen. 1:2 in five English translations and not one uses the term "God's active force."

Here is the second part of that verse as rendered in these five versions:

KJV: And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

New Revised Standard Version
: while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.

The New American Bible: while a mighty wind swept over the waters.

The Revised Standard Version: and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters.

The New Living Translation: And the Spirit of God was hovering over its surface.

mee said:

power in action.
It is Jehovah’s active force, invisible and powerful, sent forth to accomplish his purpose.

Jehovah the Creator has power. His power operates through his spirit or active force.
As Elihu said: "The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life." (Job 33:4;

So the active force is eternal just like God almighty is?

Blue Jay said:
Mee, what Bible are you using? I am looking at Gen. 1:2 in five English translations and not one uses the term "God's active force."
:confused: i know huh.

FLOWERGIRL said:
So the active force is eternal just like God almighty is?
Technically, no, but in an absolute sense, yes.

Hey, what is so wrong with the Holy Spirit being an active force? I personally think it is presented as such. Would you rather have it a passive force, or is it the force that offends?

Blue Jay said:

Here is the second part of that verse as rendered in these five versions:

KJV: And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

New Revised Standard Version: while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.

The New American Bible: while a mighty wind swept over the waters.

The Revised Standard Version: and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters.

The New Living Translation: And the Spirit of God was hovering over its surface.
yes , the spirit is the active force of God,knowing what the spirit is aids to accurate understanding. it is invisible and as some translations make known it is like the wind ,force in motion

mee said:
yes , the spirit is the active force of God,knowing what the spirit is aids to accurate understanding. it is invisible and as some translations make known it is like the wind ,force in motion

Yes, in Genesis the Holy Spirit is an active force. (Electricity, fuel, wind, etc...) But as you develop a relationship, learn, and pray, this force takes on a unique and profound personality.
NRSV John 16
13When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own, but will speak whatever he hears, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

NKJV John
13However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

The Holy Spirit has an extremely wonderful personality. Please, please, please don't try to sanitize it. Just look at what it produces.

Galatians 5
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

I completely agree with the need for an accurate understanding.

I don't think mee ever said it wasn't a personality, at least that's not the feeling I got. What I got is the the Holy Spirit is God, but in His active aspect. So God says "let there be light" and the Holy Spirit flips the lightswitch, God says "separate the waters (or whatever He actually said)" and the Holy Spirit does so, yet all the while remaining God as well.

The New Testament is filled with examples of the Holy Spirit’s personal attributes, such as thinking, speaking, guiding, hearing, loving, and willing, just to name a few.

Back