No idea where to put this... so here goes.

17th Angel

לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות
Reaction score
Have you seen the little piggies crawling in the d
I have just come across a site, I just, had to share.....

Voodoo dolls black magic Revenge spells love spell , Love spells, voodoo spells haitian voodoo love spells to contact the dead

What do you people make of things like this?? They claim to be of Voodoo yet they have a satanic star in the top left corner..... Anyway... back to what I was saying, I think things like this really do not help the idea that magic is "real" looks like a big ass scam.... Who'd buy a spell from that site out of interest? Also gives real followers of Vodu a bad name and helps feed the urban myth of what true vodu people do do. ;)

tis true true,
i have heard that vodu is an earth religion similar to paganism. i think like paganism it has been demonised by the church and media. i recall that james bond film with i think it was scaramanga and that black voodoo chap with the skull painted on his face. certainly convinced me voodoo was bad at the time... j

lol, I think the black vodu chap is trying to represent Baron Samedi, One of the loa, he stands at the crossroads ;)

But indeed if you say vodu or pagan or whatever it instantly tingles the nerves doesn't it? Media has a nice way of making things what they are not.

In every religion, in every vocation, in every society, there are those that do there best to mislead or turn folks away...not saying it is always intentional...it just is.

Ah, it's forever interesting to me how the intrigue generating factor of magic inevitably functions as a limiting mechanism. It's a perrenial theme in novels of the genre, but no one seems to understand that the fascination with the gee-whiz aspect guarantees you'll never progress past the lounge. That's where the paying customers hang out. Kinda like a titty bar in that respect! Come to think of it, that's probably a good thing!

Chris

As Wil said, in every community there are going to be some who will be in it to make money in rather disreputable ways -- or else to satisfy their own greed of one sort or another.

Voudou does have its honourable and beautiful and deep parts, but just like other religious communities there are some who are superficial who are using it as part of a scam. It's the same with other Pagan and magickal religions, as well as mainstream religions like Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. There are one or two bad apples in every barrel.

In regards to Vodu, and you using the word "scam" A few say, that Vodu was created by slaves, to scare/intimidate their "masters"..... Thoughts?

There are scam artists in most religious communities. There are always going to be people who will exploit something in order to get things from those who are gullible enough to be parted with their money or possessions.

I'd never heard that Voudou was created to try and scare or intimidate the slavemasters. What I have heard is that it was an attempt to preserve traditional African religions (remember the African slaves were not all from the same cultural groups or the same religions) right under the noses of their slave masters who insisted the slaves convert to Christianity. That's why Voudou is called a syncretic religion -- it's a blend of various African religions with Christianity.

It's so small I can't see the detailing within the star itself. But it's always been my understanding that the 5 pointed star was a pagan symbol that satanism adopted and inverted to represent the Devil. Voodoo, again as far as I understand it is a blending of (as says in above posting) many different African religions and traditions, Christianity (particularly Roman Catholisism) and satanism- so you should find a lot of images and symbols within it that have 'cross over' into other religions/faiths. Although to be honest you'd probably be better off asking a real practicioner of the religion...

I assure you that is a Satanic symbol of Satan, and his (goat) head. Indeed a 5 pointed star that -isn't- inverted is Pagan. A symbol... of protection. This is inverted, anything inverted means something 100% different. The points represent the devils ears (2) horns (2) and chin (1) It being inverted shows that you need no protection that you are to fear nothing, being set in the mind what you call upon is there under your command you are the master.

Although It has nothing, to do with Vodu. I feel as if it was placed upon the site to make it look all "ooooh spooky" Which is to add to the scam of buying spells.... I also believe (maybe someone if they wish can clarify this.) If you believe in Vodu... then you can be effected by spells of Vodu, if you do not believe you cannot cast nor be inflicted by spells from Vodu... Something along the lines of Peter pan and tinkerbell... "Clap your hands if you believe." So if you have no true faith and belife of Vodu... How can someone cast a spell upon you that will be effective... I emailed with more details than this to the spell caster of the site... He hasn't replied... Strange.

I think any web site that says I will cast the spell for you (whether they take money or not) ARE scam artists. And the reason I feel this way is due to the fact every spell is personal, every spell is one that the caster wants to happen. And the only way for the spell to actually work is for the one that wants to happen cast the spell.

I think any web site that says I will cast the spell for you (whether they take money or not) ARE scam artists. And the reason I feel this way is due to the fact every spell is personal, every spell is one that the caster wants to happen. And the only way for the spell to actually work is for the one that wants to happen cast the spell.

Exactly. Thinking that you, or anybody, has supernatural powers to make the universe do physically impossible things is delusional. But you can make marvelous things happen if YOU do what is necessary, and ritual can help to put you in the proper frame of mind, if that is how your mind works.

It is worth remembering that Vodou has its origins in a cargo cult. Assimilation of aspects of other belief systems is an integral part of what Vodou was.

It is worth remembering that Vodou has its origins in a cargo cult. Assimilation of aspects of other belief systems is an integral part of what Vodou was.

Could you explain why you think Vodou originated as a cargo cult?

My understanding of cargo cults is that they are when two cultures meet, and one culture (usually described as the less technologically advanced one) sees the other culture as superior and begins worship of that superior culture as a way to try and get the superior culture to give them material goods (the cargo part of the theory.)

The first recorded cargo cult was in Fiji in the late 1800s... while Vodou has been around at least as far back as when slaves were first brought to the Americas in the late 1400s and early 1500s.

I don't think that it's fair to say that Vodou adopted Christian symbolism because they thought of Christianity as superior -- it's more about hiding one's religion in plain sight since slaves were forced to convert to Christianity and were often punished for practicing their previous faiths.

In regards to Vodu, and you using the word "scam" A few say, that Vodu was created by slaves, to scare/intimidate their "masters"..... Thoughts?

Greets 17th Angel.
Voudun is one of the off shoots of the religions of an African people who were "hastily emigrated" to the New World. Whole villages of that region received this "free transportation" to the Caribbean islands with the majority going to South America. At its base it has polytheistic and trance-possessive qualities with both male and female dieties representing various aspects. The trance-possession is used to obtain guidance and cautions from their pantheon of dieties.

The "down-side" of trance-possession is supposedly that if the trance is not properly terminated violent, and or the stereo typical "zombie-like," behavior may be the result.

The largest representation of this polytheistic base, Umbanda, is to be found in South America. where it has merged with Catholicism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbanda

Last edited:
Back