dialogue about dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
me too:(.......I do not want to being missionaried to , or whatever way that may be interpreted

Im not shoving anything down anyones throat.. If you dont want to read what I have to say you dont have to read it. :)

I have no problem being guilty of loving you. Ive been guilty of worse. Trust me on that.

gosh, this thread's been popular while i've been away this weekend!

ardenz said:
What this brings up, as Wil, in the above post mentions, is what going on in this persons mind? can we help? writing off someone as on the lunatic fringe discounts what they may actually be going through.
we are not mental health professionals. i cannot take responsibility from someone who wishes to use CR instead of going to see his doctor or therapist. we're just not here for that. fortunately, it is not a very common problem.

Obviously a site like this is going to continue to attract people who may have a mission, personal or otherwise.
well, that's as may be, but CR is not here to support such people. CR has its own mission, which is to support dialogue - not personal crusades, jihads or anything else, with all that that implies.

I certainly believe that doing "witnessing" (a christian practice, I believe) with someone who has serious problems is a "crazy idea" - I would sooner suggest someone visit to a medical doctor, or psychiatrist.
i agree - and we have done this on a regular basis, to shadowman, for example. he doesn't seem to have taken the hint as yet, unfortunately.

Tao_Equus said:
Why not just a simple 7day blanket ban from posting? Then someone has the opportunity to reflect rather than find ways to continue an argument through moderation.
hmm. i don't think this is too bad an idea. what do you think, brian?

Dondi said:
You might ask, would it be proper to have this kind of separation in say the Judaism boards, since there are distinct flavors of Judaism? I dunno, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem there since there are currently two jewish members on board. For the Islam board, I have no answer, for I am less familiar with distinctions in that faith. But how these boards run are not really my concern, since I'm not a part of them.
there are actually more jewish people here than that - but dauer and i are mods, plus we are very visible and vocal. i would answer that both dauer and i, for all our ideological and theological differences, have a certain amount of common ground when it comes to issues of judaism as a group. i think i can speak for both of us when i say that we'd both like judaism to be as inclusive as possible, whilst still maintaining some standards - obviously we disagree on what those standards are, but at least we agree we have them. it's that we really see the benefit in maintaining a civil dialogue relationship despite the fact that we really disagree on a lot of stuff. there is also a principle in judaism known as "klal yisra'el" which is, on some level, about the importance of jewish unity - although this should not be taken to mean that we actually agree on anything! i think it's more about a sort of family feeling in environments like this.

traveler said:
I see religion as an artifact of not closely examining the true nature of our personal beliefs. I know that sounds strange, but often we coast along in autopilot, spouting the party line, knowing what we stand for because we are standing in a certain group. When we take the leap of truthfully examining our real inner terrain, what we in fact believe, what truly motivates our actions, is often quite different.
ok, traveler, but you could drive a rather large coach-and-horses through the holes in this statement, such as your qualifier of "i see", your generalisations about other peoples' inner experience and your glib assumption that what "truly motivates us" can in fact be extracted and analysed. philosophically, that just doesn't stack up.

wil said:
is just that on the regular Christianity board we couldn't discuss whether or not hell or heaven or Jesus or the trinity exists.
in jewish terms, there are certain subjects and ways of approaching them that i believe are not conducive to dialogue. when a neo-nazi, or a holocaust denier, for example, as has happened, shows up and starts spouting his line, i fail to see what is to be achieved by engaging with him. similarly, people who show up and start making statements about what other people are alleged by them to believe, or dispute the honesty of personal statements of faith are, i believe, flying in the face of dialogue. there's just not enough common ground there for a dialogue to start if one person treats it as a diatribe. niranjan was a case in point imho.

lunamoth said:
For goodness sakes, the main Christian forum includes JW, LDS, YECs and SDAs
really? who are the LDS, YECs and SDAs? i've never noticed them!

People may not like or agree with what someone like Spong or Tillich has to say...but what they are talking about is Christian theology.
that's kind of why i think you ought to be able to have everyone in the christian forum - if only to show newbies that our christian forum is not only conservative-friendly. the trouble is for me when as has happened, the forum membership tips too far one way, so a sizable minority end up schisming. i suppose it's the church in miniature - plus ça change!

Sunny C. said:
I think it's more likely that the Theosophists and neo-Gnostics were the thorn in the side of the conservatives, and since Liberal is such a pervasively pejorative term to them they stereotyped and mislabeled all the heretics in their rush to retain hegemony over the symbolic capitol of Christendom on the Abrahamic board. I'm just guessing.
hmm. it seems to me that theosophists and neo-gnostics seem to make a point of enjoying dancing around in front of conservatives and saying "HERE i am! i'm a HERETIC! boogy boogy boogy! listen to *me*! don't i annoy you? don't i? don't i? your beliefs are a bunch of DOGMA - only *we* are clever enough to see through all that!!! am i annoying you yet??? here's a....TRACT.... from our voluminous *writings*!!" and then acting all "ooh, look at me..i'm a MARTYR now!!!" - and, at any rate, if you have no petard to hoist, then you're in the minority as far as our theosophists and neo-gnostics are concerned.

FaithfulServant said:
This is in the context of us not allowing
the judgement of others to sway us from our carrying our cross.. which ironically is the issue right as we speak.. lol I will take that as a confirmation
Tao_Equus said:
I do not see your ideas as benign and well meaning, far from it. It is grandiose ideas of superiority that drive such beliefs. It is ego.

i suppose the above exchange between TE and FS above really rather illustrates the point, which is that it is extremely difficult to maintain a space in which people who insist on clear definitions, labels and domains can interact with people who see precisely those things as intrusive, tendentious and limiting. as you both know, i agree with both - and neither - of you! however, i don't see why that means we can't be civil to each other, which i suppose is brian's point.

I said:
Civility, I think is an essential requirement of interfaith dialogue. Because of the nature of the subject matter, things are always going to get rocky sometimes, or people will post in the heat of the moment and regret it, and that's always going to be taken into account. There needs to be a general acceptance I think that making one or two mistakes doesn't a bad person make.

However, I absolutely draw the line at people who want to turn CR into their own personal marketing channel. It serves the interests of a minority, and the internet allows these people to set up their own marketing in their own space, under their own rules.
*claps loudly*

If I'm in a pub or restaurant, and someone starts shouting at the clients and won't calm down and generally acts disruptive, I expect that they will be ejected from the premises - else I'll be the one to leave and not return. If the behaviour is tolerated, how many people will care to visit such a place? Who will be motivated most to visit it if aggressive behaviour is openly accepted?
precisely!

b'shalom

bananabrain

Hi Brian,

I would like to make it clear that it is not my intention to attack Faithfulservant as a person but that my objection is very firmly centred in this notion of Judgement. A core belief of mine is that concepts of Judgement by one group on another are the cause of all conflict in the world. Too often this is elevated to Divine Judgement and that is when it invariable becomes not a belief but a dangerous propaganda weapon. As a humanist inclined individual I feel it incumbent on me to raise this issue where I see such a declaration of superiority made. Not because I have any desire to insult Faithfulservant or attack her on a personal level but because I find the concept abhorrent.

Faithfulservant,

Maybe I have come across a little too aggressively and should have taken the time to question you further and define what you initially stated. You have told me some things but not enough really for me to be clear where you are coming from with your statements. Do you support the Moral Majority movement? For example. Your statements on Judgement seem very akin to those. Do you understand my recoil at the concept of Judgement and why I have reacted so heatedly?

As I said above to Brian I find the concept of Judgement unacceptable. It is the skeleton of many evils perpetrated in all land in all times. So tell me, you are awaiting me in the here-after. I have not come to your ideas, I remain unbaptised, dismissive of religions in general. What is my fate at your hands?

TE

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out." Luke 19:40
[/FONT]

really? who are the LDS, YECs and SDAs? i've never noticed them!

SDA? That's me.
hmm. it seems to me that theosophists and neo-gnostics seem to make a point of enjoying dancing around in front of conservatives and saying "HERE i am! i'm a HERETIC! boogy boogy boogy! listen to *me*! don't i annoy you? don't i? don't i? your beliefs are a bunch of DOGMA - only *we* are clever enough to see through all that!!! am i annoying you yet??? here's a....TRACT.... from our voluminous *writings*!!" and then acting all "ooh, look at me..i'm a MARTYR now!!!" - and, at any rate, if you have no petard to hoist, then you're in the minority as far as our theosophists and neo-gnostics are concerned.
:D

bb said:

And this is the very thing I want to avoid. Because if left unchecked, the Christianity board will become so diluted with this kind of drivel as to make it unrecognizable. If anyone can come in and claim themselves as a Christian and not even believe that Jesus Christ existed, much less believe that He is the son of God and is the salvation for sin, what possible business does he have in being in the Christian forum. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

And this is the very thing I want to avoid. Because if left unchecked, the Christianity board will become so diluted with this kind of drivel as to make it unrecognizable. If anyone can come in and claim themselves as a Christian and not even believe that Jesus Christ existed, much less believe that He is the son of God and is the salvation for sin, what possible business does he have in being in the Christian forum. There has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Just being the Devil's Advocate (he he). Someone could surely come along to that forum to ask questions, even if they didn't really believe couldn't they? Y'know you might ask about stuff in the Buddhist forum (don't deny it) and think the answers are a lot of hog wash but people can still be (mostly) nice can't they?

s.

Yes ta, that's what I quoted from:)

And I'm still none the clearer therefore....

"Evangelising is against the CoC. Except when it's not."

s.

Apparently aggressive promotion is against the code, but not witnessing in the context of sharing your experience and faith.

Yes ta, that's what I quoted from:)

And I'm still none the clearer therefore....

"Evangelising is against the CoC. Except when it's not."

s.

There is nothing in the CoC that says Evangelizing is against the rules. You dont see me "aggressively" promoting my faith..Or going on other forums and attacking anothers faith.. I mostly stick to the Christianity forum. Anyone thats on that forum is fair game for scripture and the message of the gospel. On any other forum I will always say.. "I believe" or my 2c.. I respect the lines established and I dont cross them.. that is why Im still allowed to post here and I will stay here as long as Brian allows me to.

Hope that helps clear matters up. :)

OK in all honesty I am confused and have no axe to grind (at the minute!)

Apologies for the confusion - proselytising is generally a pretty agressive attempt to literally convert other people to a certain faith viewpoint.

Sharing strong opinions on faith isn't proselytising; discussing your viewpoint with passion isn't proselytising; telling other people they'd better convert now, or else - that's probably nearer proselytising. :)

my objection is very firmly centred in this notion of Judgement.

To be honest, issues of Judgement are a core focus of Christianity. Just because fundamentlist Christians may be more likely to speak about Judgement doesn't mean to say the moderates aren't thinking it.

For those who feel outside of that concern, I'd say that if you can sit down and have a constructive chat with someone, then it really doesn;t need to be taken as an issue.

FaithfulServant has always made a point of stating that she's an independent Christian, so I really wouldn't start trying to affiliate her with organised groups. Whatever she believes in are her beliefs, not dictated to or proscribed by a specific body or denomination.

2c.

BB,

i think i can speak for both of us when i say that we'd both like judaism to be as inclusive as possible, whilst still maintaining some standards - obviously we disagree on what those standards are, but at least we agree we have them. it's that we really see the benefit in maintaining a civil dialogue relationship despite the fact that we really disagree on a lot of stuff. there is also a principle in judaism known as "klal yisra'el" which is, on some level, about the importance of jewish unity - although this should not be taken to mean that we actually agree on anything! i think it's more about a sort of family feeling in environments like this.

Hear hear. And I think this is a good example of that. On different occasions you or I have been able to speak on behalf of both of us with little hesitation and only a small disclaimer. I don't think that would really be possible unless we were both interested in dialogue and shared the same general goals (albeit pursuing them along quite significantly different paths.) I think it also says something about being able to not just say our piece but to hear each other and find those points where we can relate. To me that seems like a common denominator in Judaism even in those circles that might promote more lashon hara (and discounting extremists on both ends.) Even rambam's principles of faith as they are applied seem to be (mostly) about finding what everyone can agree on while leaving a lot of breathing room for radically different understandings of them. We do as a people bicker a lot amongst ourselves but I think it's more like siblings fighting than strangers.

Dauer

Just being the Devil's Advocate (he he). Someone could surely come along to that forum to ask questions, even if they didn't really believe couldn't they? Y'know you might ask about stuff in the Buddhist forum (don't deny it) and think the answers are a lot of hog wash but people can still be (mostly) nice can't they?

s.

Sorry. Devil's Advocates are not allowed on the Christian forum. That whole anathema thing.

Seriously, ask away. All I'm saying is that when some asks a simple question about the Virgin Mary, and then someone who claims to represent Christainity reponds off tangent that the Virgin Mary is really the reincarnation of Isis, according to the ancient Mayan prophesy that was retroactively revealed to Egyptian priests and laid down in Zoroastrian literature, I get rather annoyed, ya know? So then I have to unscramble all that and try to give a straight answer, which is what they were seeking in the first place.

Hi,
FaithfulServant has always made a point of stating that she's an independent Christian, so I really wouldn't start trying to affiliate her with organised groups. Whatever she believes in are her beliefs, not dictated to or proscribed by a specific body or denomination.

To be honest I had long thought FS to be a JW. And was rather surprised to find an open admission of what JW's often say between the lines but never publicly admit.
As to her independence, well frankly i have never heard of an independent fundamentalist evangelical Christian before. I believed them all to be affiliated to some group or another. But I will not presume anything and leave it alone for now and await her reply to my questions.

I will not be surprised if I dont get them.

Regards

TE

Hi,

To be honest I had long thought FS to be a JW. And was rather surprised to find an open admission of what JW's often say between the lines but never publicly admit.
As to her independence, well frankly i have never heard of an independent fundamentalist evangelical Christian before. I believed them all to be affiliated to some group or another. But I will not presume anything and leave it alone for now and await her reply to my questions.

Regards

TE

I'm glad I can teach you something you didnt know then :)

I am not a freak of nature I promise! There are a lot of non-denominational Christians. Calvary Chapel is just one of them.

These are the differences between JW's and myself. JW's do not believe Jesus Christ is God.. I do. JW's use books other than the bible to base their religion on.. I dont. I dont believe in religion.. religion is mans attempt to reach God.. JW's replace Israel with themselves..I dont. JW's believe they are saved by their works.. I dont. JW's believe that we are in the millenial reign of Christ.. I dont.

I am a non-denominational Christian that believes in the doctrines of God as listed in the bible. I believe that denominations are a diservice to the body of Christ. We are parts that make up a whole. I believe in the fundamentals of Christianity I am not a fundamentalist Christian..I do not care for televangelists and I do not support word of faith preachers... Im somewhere in between conservative and charismatic. I would call myself an apologist because I live by the word of God and defend my faith when called to and I test everything by the word. I believe in evangalism because we are called by God to share our faith

1Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;

What questions are you referring to btw.. Did I get off track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back