Weird things are happening to me, what does it mean?

LOL- it's OK to highjack, flow. We did it above for a while about accents. It seems to be how this thread runs, since the original poster, Nevermore, has not returned to our conversation.

And fear has always been there, of course, but it seems like a few things are getting worse in the US. More and more I see the older adults (i.e., 30s-50s) taking advantage of teenagers sexually, many of it older male-younger female but a growing number of older female-younger male as well. There are also a lot of teenaged boys taking advantage of teenaged girls. I also see a lot of parents who don't seem to have a clue about what their kids are experiencing or going through, and sadly, sometimes seem to care more about the appearance of a happy family than really having one. I don't think it was the norm 40-50 years ago in the US to have kids betrayed so much by the time they graduated high school. Yes, perhaps they went off to war at 18 and found a lot of fear and death and violence there. But it is not the same thing as finding it among your own community where you are supposed to be protected and safe. Of course, the kids aren't innocent bystanders- they're bringing guns to school and getting into fights, many experimenting with drugs (an amazing number of honors students are into drugs big-time, and more often have the money to buy them), etc. But my point is that first, there is a societal reason for that. And second, that it affects even the kids who are trying to be good and responsible- no one really escapes it, because you're surrounded by it.

I understand what you ar saying but I just think it has always existed, just in different ways. What we see now as the evils of the world existed before, just in different ways. What would it have been like for a coloured child in the US 50 years ago? I feel sure their parents would be fearful. Wasn't there uproar when rock and roll came to disrupt the American dream?

I just wonder if each generation has the same level of fear, justover different issues?

sorry guys, posted late on previous (chicken ) subject. LOL. we hav e digressed (new big word for me). but that is ok. muslim woman, good to have you back, have missed you. hey there flow and love to miss(demeanour)JULIUS. yes, fear has always been there, some more so than others. My original comment was that I hoped that they hadnt felt real fear. pity alot do.

Hi Ladies...Yes I agree that it has always been there, but IMHO it has also been more analog and random in the past. In these digital days it all seems more planned, programmed, addressable, and targetable for some overall purpose.

That's just the way that I see it all from my perspective. Like Path has said, it seems to especially target the best and brightest in a lot of ways as if something was trying to purposefully ruin the future for the human race.

flow....;)

BTW, what is the meaning of the Brit term of derision, "Hard Cheese". I don't believe that it refers to the bad work habits of employees at cheese counters .
flow....:p

Certainly not!

"Hard cheese" is a classic British catch phrase that means essentially "tough luck" or "too bad." It can be used both as an expression of sympathy ("Hedgehog took your leg right off, did he? Hard cheese, old man.") and as a dismissive retort ("Don't like your gruel, boy? Well, hard cheese."). So far, "hard cheese" hasn't percolated into American usage, although it is common in Australia and probably in Canada as well. "Hard cheese" dates back to at least 1876; a variant, "hard cheddar," is more recent and first appeared in print around 1931.
Unfortunately, the mere fact that millions of people around the globe use "hard cheese" doesn't mean that anyone knows with any certainty where it came from. One theory mentioned by the great slang etymologist Eric Partridge is that gourmets generally prefer the soft, perishable cheeses. A waiter announcing, "Sorry, only hard cheese available today" would thus be saying, in essence, "tough luck."
But Paul Beale, who edited and updated Partridge's "Dictionary of Catch Phrases" in the 1980s, suggests that the "cheese" in question may not be edible cheese at all. "Cheese" (from the Persian "chiz" meaning "thing") was slang in 19th century Britain for "the proper thing" or "the tops," a usage still heard in the phrase "the big cheese." So "hard cheese" would mean "Lousy break. It could have been good but it wasn't. Tough luck."

Columns Posted March 2, 2001

Nothing definitive there, so hard cheese!

s.

well, flow if that was the case, i should have passed on years ago. I am , after all,so wonderful, and beautiful and talented but most of all I am humble. LOL.

LOL- it's OK to highjack, flow. We did it above for a while about accents. It seems to be how this thread runs, since the original poster, Nevermore, has not returned to our conversation.

Wow. The rebel with a cause. Nevermore will probably think that all we're good for is gossip. ......At least that's what he'll think when we see him again.

Oh yeah. PathOfOne let's mess up this guy's house while he's away!!!:D:eek:

Let's throw a party, get drunk, have a few boxing matches, some graffiti and play golf and footy in this guy's house. If we can't find balls to play with, we're buy some eggs. Soon the walls of the house will be covered with egg whites and yolks. We'll work ourselves into a vandalistic frenzy, break a few windows and destroy the furniture. Then we'll set the house on fire as we party deep into the night.

Thought you'd got lost in the desert.:p

I've been covering for you and hijacking wherever possible. :)

Welcome back!

s.

Well done that man, I hope you remembered to wear your balaclava?! :p

Great to be back among friends, all work makes for a very dull life.

Well done that man, I hope you remembered to wear your balaclava?! :p

Actually I'm looking to get myself an Afghan hat :)

Great to be back among friends, all work makes for a very dull life.[/quote]

Well your site looks like it's growing, so all the hard work is paying off yes?

s.

Actually I'm looking to get myself an Afghan hat :)

Oh very fetching. Anyway I thought it was time I nipped back to see what mischief you and 17th are up to.

Well your site looks like it's growing, so all the hard work is paying off yes?

Humph. I just paid a fortune for radio ads and not one new member, in a bit of a rut at the moment it seems. Am very stressed about it. I tell myself it has only been 5 weeks since the official lanch but somehow that isn't helping. :(

Although, alhamdolillah, I could be sitting there with me and 2 mates, so shouldn't complain.

Wow. The rebel with a cause. Nevermore will probably think that all we're good for is gossip. ......At least that's what he'll think when we see him again.

Oh yeah. PathOfOne let's mess up this guy's house while he's away!!!:D:eek:

Hey now, I did contribute some empathetic, (perhaps) useful advice! And besides, I didn't start the hijacking! Not my fault! Not my fault! :p

Last edited:
Snoopy:

Ummm, a silver drool cup because that's what I once saw used by an old fart in a motion picture. And we all know that whatever we see in films is truth. Not pewter, not gold, not brass, but silver. Besides, it is a noble metal which requires polishing from time to time, and as we all know polishing silver is an actiivity which brings meaning to the lives of old farts. Also I live in the Silver State and I'm for anything that supports the local economy, including hookers.

An Afghan hat is not a fashion accessory but instead is a fashion basic in cold weather. Besides, it fits in so well with the baggy courderoy pants that I prefer to wear in the winter, not to mention the bags under my eyes.

flow....:p

Back