What I like about other religions

Lecter

Fundamentalist
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

Please make a list of religions other than your own and state what you like about each one of them.

What a wonderful thread Lecter, thank you.

Buddism - lack of violence, harmony

Judaism - respect and sense of humour

Christianity - gospel music

Hinduism - rich and colourful culture

Paganism - love of nature

Quakers - simplistic life and community spirit

Scientology - well, we all need a good laugh

oo, i like this one:

islam: art, architecture, music, language and philosophy
hinduism: ditto, plus yoga and food
buddhism: ditto, plus all that advanced meditation stuff
christianity: ditto, plus all the literature
paganism: open-mindedness and concern for nature
scientology: has been responsible for several amusing episodes of "south park"
quakers: open-mindedness and compassion
baha'i: gentleness combined with ability to annoy people with logic
sikhism: the *best* kit yet, plus you get a sword *and* a massive beard
theosophy: astounding ability to quote an enormous chunk of verbiage - plus a diagram - for almost anything
satanism: humour and just the sheer contrariness of everything - oh, the music and don't even get me started on all those scantily clad young ladies
animism: best folk tales!
jws: most bloody-minded determination
atheism: best at keeping us all on our toes!

b'shalom

bananabrain

baha'i: gentleness combined with ability to annoy people with logic

:D

Islam - the Qur'an, especially where it says, "Let there be no compulsion in religion."

Christianity - the Beatitudes, blessed are the meek, etc.

Judaism - the Ten Commandments, the Book of Micah, etc.

Zoroastrianism - Naw-Ruz!

Buddhism - detachment

Hinduism - Krishna!

I like this thread, too, it's a good thread :)

Islam - Allah'u'Akbar!

Christianity - Gloria in Excelsis Deo! (sp?)

Judaism - Monotheism, I love monotheism - and Abraham

Zoroastrianism - A Persian religion like mine (Baha'i)

Buddhism - Eightfold Path - Enlightenment

Hinduism - India is great place, very great place

I like most religions once I get to know them... :D

Off the top of my head, aside from just loving a variety of music, art, and so forth...

Judaism- the history, the depth of discussion about everything

Islam- the art and architecture of mosques (all that geometric stuff is so beautiful), the way prayer is called many times a day, the structure of it all appeals to me as it does in Judaism- the integration of daily life with spiritual life

Indigenous/Animistic/Shamanistic- the often lack of boundaries between human and nature, and human and the spiritual realm. Great, interesting myths and legends, lots of cool ties between places and spiritual stuff.

Hinduism- the complexity of it all, and yet merged with simple paths such as devotion to a god/dess, the interesting variety of portrayals of god/desses (those many-armed ones to remind us that the Divine always has a hand ready for us when we need it), yoga and a spirituality that can so encompass the body as well as the soul

Buddhism- meditation, compassion for all beings, peacefulness. Zen art is particularly appealing to me in its simplicity. The dedication of the monks and nuns, and their purposefulness, is amazing to me.

Taoism- the Tao Te Ching is one of my all time favorite texts. It is gorgeous, poetic... The non-resistence, the learning from nature.

Universalism- the open-mindedness and excitement about other religions.

New Thought- the focus on thinking positively, on changing one's perspective, and on gratefulness.

There's a few... :)

Islam- the art and architecture of mosques (all that geometric stuff is so beautiful)

I do too, I love mosques.. there's one that's blue that's my favorite.. I think it's in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, but I'm not sure. I also love the golden-domed mosque in Iraq that was unfortunately blown up. I hope it gets re-built.

That is a simply gorgeous mosque (the blue one). I love old churches with stained glass for the same reason. When I went to Notre Dame, I was just floored by all the intricate stained glass, the nameless artists whose work went into the place. Art is one of the primary ways I feel close to expressing a connection to God- in creating, I feel close to the Creator. In all religions, I am very interested in the art and material culture. Each is so unique and lovely. But something about art in Islam, particularly, just really moves me.

Hinduism -- Vedanta, yoga, jyotish, ayurveda, bhagwad gita, trying to study tantra & kundlini yoga right now.

Buddhism -- Life of Sidharth Gaotam, his sayings, the stress they give to personal evolution

Shamanism -- Their closeness to nature, spirits, potions, spells, brooms, bones, skulls , witches, mythology

Taoism -- Taoteching, kungfu, Everything other than ointments made up of human urine.

Confucianism -- Everything .... including the rise of China.

Christianity -- The music they play in churches, Christmass

Judaism -- History, determination, havent touched the esoteric side, I am sure I will like it too.

Islam -- Quran, life of Muhammad, philosophy, sufism, The structure/organisation it gives to human mind, body, society, poiltics, economy etc. architecture, qawwali, When thousands of people say Allahu akbar at the same time.

Theosophy -- The way they explain the esoteric, makes it look so easy

I do too, I love mosques.. there's one that's blue that's my favorite.. I think it's in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, but I'm not sure. I also love the golden-domed mosque in Iraq that was unfortunately blown up. I hope it gets re-built.
There is another blue mosque in Istanbul (Sultan Ahmad mosque), but its blue from inside, grey from outside

Domes of almost all mosques/tombs in Iraq are golden.

Some other beautiful pieces of architecture

Saint Petersburg Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Qolsharif Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hassan II Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Faisal Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shah Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Islam- the art and architecture of mosques (all that geometric stuff is so beautiful),

That is a simply gorgeous mosque (the blue one). I love old churches with stained glass for the same reason. When I went to Notre Dame, I was just floored by all the intricate stained glass, the nameless artists whose work went into the place. Art is one of the primary ways I feel close to expressing a connection to God- in creating, I feel close to the Creator. In all religions, I am very interested in the art and material culture. Each is so unique and lovely. But something about art in Islam, particularly, just really moves me.

There is another blue mosque in Istanbul (Sultan Ahmad mosque), but its blue from inside, grey from outside

Domes of almost all mosques/tombs in Iraq are golden.

Some other beautiful pieces of architecture

Saint Petersburg Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Qolsharif Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hassan II Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Faisal Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shah Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Methinks this might make a nice topic for a thread of its own. :)

Sometimes I feel that organized religion gets in the way of being religious.

I like
Baha'i
neo-Pagan
Wiccan
Scientology
all for being less monotheistic "we are right" and for being more general guidelines than strict instructions concerning faith. Somehow to me it feels more like God would want it to be.

This is an awesome idea. Unfortunately, I don't know very much about other religions, but I'll take a stab at it:

Catholicism - the liturgy, art, music, rituals, architecture
Judaism - the history, perseverance, culture
Islam - the devotion to their faith and each other, art, culture
Wicca - the realtionship with nature, open-minedness
Budddhism - the respect for everything, non-violence
Rastafari - the history, openness, endurance

What's interesting about all these attributes is I believe they reflect an attribute of God. In a small way, I can identify with each of these.

You know, I looked at this thread when it came out first of all... And I asked myself to answer honestly from the heart... you may have noticed that, I haven't posted anything on here before this... I didn't recieve any answer from my heart... I now, happy to say can answer this.... What I like about other religions, is the fact that I Love every single one of them, they are all apart of something much greater, they'll see lol.... I Love them all... They are the unsung heroes, those that care, those that wish to inspire, teach and those that wish to improve and learn. Those that sacrafice, they give, they are examples, those THAT LOVE! THEY LOVE! They mean well, they are good at heart... And that is every single one of them.. Truly I say to you, that is every single one of them.

You know, I looked at this thread when it came out first of all... And I asked myself to answer honestly from the heart... you may have noticed that, I haven't posted anything on here before this... I didn't recieve any answer from my heart... I now, happy to say can answer this.... What I like about other religions, is the fact that I Love every single one of them, they are all apart of something much greater, they'll see lol.... I Love them all... They are the unsung heroes, those that care, those that wish to inspire, teach and those that wish to improve and learn. Those that sacrafice, they give, they are examples, those THAT LOVE! THEY LOVE! They mean well, they are good at heart... And that is every single one of them.. Truly I say to you, that is every single one of them.
You mean like this? :)

WOW! That is so awsome lol! Really, I like that I see a work in progess, you know? There back then I am like NO WAI! Then when this thread started I was all like.... ORLY? And now... I am like.... YA RLY!!!

That will go down in 1337 history that speech, and for those in English:

It is great to see, what we can acomplish, but it aslo shows me hope.. That things can get better, to go from then in a very anti negative closed off way, I am defensive... Yet also offensive... Heh... I then go to a neutral stance, and then to an open.. I am really glad you brought that up! I was looking back on all the 17th posts/threads and watching from the very first day how I seem to have got better and learnt more... Do that SG... Look back from your very first post, and realise how much you have grown....

Back