Animals death same as ours?

Penguin

Reaction score
Do animals go through the same process as humans when they die, from a Christian point of view?
If not, why not? A life is a life right? and I'm sure Christ would want to promote the same treatment for all his father's creations, whatever they are. Do we feel an animals/pets presence again with us in heaven when we die, after it has died long before? Does it re-unite with us?

hello penguin.

you know that is a very good question you are posing there. just to let you know, i don't believe in heaven, well at least only for the 144,000 that are mentioned in Revelation, but, that's another story! i do, though, believe that there will be a Great Resurrection of life sometime in the future. it is at this point that i believe all of God's creation will give an account of their actions. anyhow, your question reminded me of a verse that i came across in Genesis awhile back. here we go.

(Tanach)Bereishit - Chapter 9:5. But your blood, of your souls, I will demand [an account]; from the hand of every beast I will demand it, and from the hand of man, from the hand of each man, his brother, I will demand the soul of man.

(NIV)Genesis 9:5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

(KJV)Genesis9:5And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.

now if you read the verses in red, this shows that even animals will give an account. of what? i am not sure, yet. as a matter of fact, my mind could be playing tricks on me, but this is the way i understand it. unless someone else can interpret this better and can provide better insight. i have read this in context and it talks about not eating blood. seems to me that that is the account that is going to be demanded by God at sometime in the future because i don't think this has happened yet. anyhow, i don't consider myself "christian", but this is my point of view. hope this helps, somehow. thanks for reading and God be with you...

Do animals go through the same process as humans when they die...

That is where you should stop, a human is an animal.... So it is exactly the same......

But it goes on doesn't it?....

from a Christian point of view?

No for some reason, "humans" are not seen as animals and have no "soul" and are not equal.... They are equal... However there are a FEW christian groups that are starting to remove their heads from their rear ends and realise they are not the only creature to be cared for. Oh may find this interesting to read.... *pastes*

• The Blessing of the Animals, a celebration once marked by Roman Catholics on the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi (Oct. 4), is now celebrated by many Lutherans, Episcopalians, Anglicans, Methodists and the United Church of Christ.
• This year, for the first time, the American academy of religion has organized a group of scholars who will discuss the roles of animals in religion at its annual convention Nov. 22-25, 2003.
• Ministers of many denominations now offer their services for pet funerals, weddings and blessings. Some churches have established pet cemeteries in sanctified ground.
• Animal rights activists are reaching out to religious groups as allies.
• People are becoming vegetarians and vegans because of their religious convictions.
• Books by Christian and Jewish theologians, scholars and other thinkers have branched out from religion publishing houses to the mainstream publishers. Chief among these has been Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy by Matthew Scully (St. Martin's Press, 2002) and On God and Dogs: A Christian Theology of Compassion for Animals by Stephen H. Webb (Oxford University Press, 2002).
• Animals and the spiritual have made it into mainstream culture with the popularity of movies such as Seabiscuit, My Dog Skip and All Dogs Go to Heaven. Hallmark now carries pet sympathy cards, some with religious themes.

I know it isn't a Islam question but Just incase you asked.... Or wandered... Animals are muslims. ;) Meaning they are creations of God and DO go to heaven..... I could go into detail but I don't wish to derail this.

(Tanach)Bereishit - Chapter 9:5. But your blood, of your souls, I will demand [an account]; from the hand of every beast I will demand it, and from the hand of man, from the hand of each man, his brother, I will demand the soul of man.
Means that if an animal kills a human, the animal must be put to death, the same as human murderers were given the death penalty.

Do animals go through the same process as humans when they die, from a Christian point of view?

Depends on the Christian you ask, I think. In my opinion, yes, more or less. Humans and animals go through the same process. But this is more a belief I came to on my own and meshes with Druidry, my second religion, than anything I picked up from Christianity. I don't believe it is only animals, either. I believe all living beings go on in some way after their death.

I'm sure Christ would want to promote the same treatment for all his father's creations, whatever they are.

I believe that we are held responsible for how we treat all of God's creatures, and that all beings are precious to Him.

Do we feel an animals/pets presence again with us in heaven when we die, after it has died long before? Does it re-unite with us?

I believe we are reunited with our pets in the afterlife. I don't know if we all go to heaven in the sense of a land with mansions and streets paved in gold. I believe we are reunited with God, and I treat the afterlife in a rather fuzzy way- maybe some go to heaven permanently, or some sort of Summerlands place, and I believe some are reincarnated for various reasons.
Either way, I do believe that we are reunited with our pets, at least for a while. I know from working in hospice and reading various hospice nurses' accounts that it is not uncommon for people to be greeted by former pets as they transition to the afterlife, particularly in the case of children, who have often not lost an adult to help guide them over.

Means that if an animal kills a human, the animal must be put to death, the same as human murderers were given the death penalty.

very true what you say, my friend. it can be looked in that manner as well. thanks for the further insight into the text. now lets get back to penguin's original question about wether man and beast are equal in terms of life after death. how would you interpret "giving an account to God." or "God demanding an account..."? what does this mean? do you think that God will resurrect both man and beast to demand an account? thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for the responses all, very interesting. The reason I ask the question about an animals dying process compared to ours is because I was thinking how much I love my dogs and the thought of never seeing them again one day pains me greatly. I wondered if god would give me the opportunity, in my death, to sense or link up with them again, spiritually? To be aware of them somehow in that blissful state of peace. Are animals subjected to judgement, heaven or hell? Somebody asked me awhile ago, "where do animals go when they die?" "is it the same place as us". I said I don't know, but it is something I have wondered myself many times and I'd like to think they do.

hello penguin.

you know that is a very good question you are posing there. just to let you know, i don't believe in heaven, well at least only for the 144,000 that are mentioned in Revelation, but, that's another story! i do, though, believe that there will be a Great Resurrection of life sometime in the future. it is at this point that i believe all of God's creation will give an account of their actions. anyhow, your question reminded me of a verse that i came across in Genesis awhile back. here we go.

(NIV)Genesis 9:5 And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of his fellow man.

(KJV)Genesis9:5And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.

now if you read the verses in red, this shows that even animals will give an account. of what? i am not sure, yet. as a matter of fact, my mind could be playing tricks on me, but this is the way i understand it. unless someone else can interpret this better and can provide better insight. i have read this in context and it talks about not eating blood. seems to me that that is the account that is going to be demanded by God at sometime in the future because i don't think this has happened yet. anyhow, i don't consider myself "christian", but this is my point of view. hope this helps, somehow. thanks for reading and God be with you...

Thanks for highlighting that Leo, I wonder if there is other text in the bible that gives the same sort of message?

The death penalty IS the "accounting" that is demanded. The authors of Genesis had no afterlife conceptions.

hello again, bob.

so are you of the mind that each book in the bible have completely different agendas? and were never meant to support each other textually?

As for the answer to the question (The thread). Yes. (a stupid question deserves a stupid answer...I guess).

What about insects? I (and I'm sure not the only one) have killed plenty. Are insects Judged too? Are animals Judged for killing other animals (even though this part of nature)? Do any of the above have a conscience? Did Jesus teach anything to animals? Are you a vegetarian? Are we Judged for eating animals? What king of god (small g intended) teaches his children to love thy neighbour, then comdemns most of the entire human race to Eternal torture?

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Back