Music

T

Tao_Equus

What is the relationship between the music you listen to and your beliefs, spirituality and worldview?

tao

What is the relationship between the music you listen to and your beliefs, spirituality and worldview?

tao
I'd say zero. I like side b 60's rock, nothing from disco and punk era on, no bubblegum. Also appreciate blues, jazz, western (vs. country), and opera.

I'm a Christian fiscally conservative libertarian with a bent on personal responsibility in regards to most things including the environment.

(hmmmm now that I look at it in beliefs and music maybe eclectic is appropriate?)

Music is the most spiritual thing I do. When I was coming up there was a choice between the purity of blues rock and the impurity of disco. It was a big deal in the late seventies. I still feel that certain kinds of music are sacred while others are commercial and profane. Of course I'm white, middle aged, and jaded.

Chris

Before I started my search for ultimate truth, I listened to jazz and pop music. This was back in 1965 so that you will understand the kind of pop music that was in vogue -- it included Elvis Presley just as one example. My favorite jazz artist was Dave Brubeck. Inspired by Benny Goodman I attempted to learn the clarinet.

However once I got on the spiritual path I was only interested in classical music and for nearly four decades that was all I listened to.

Finally I think I am an integrated being and can enjoy most kinds of music in the appropriate setting. For example I occasionally dance to pop music of the past few decades which is quite unfamiliar to me, but I can tune into the rhythm.

I would say now that my taste is catholic. I still love classical, I still love jazz, I love the R & R of the 1950s and early 1960s, and I love the evergreens such as George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Harry Warren etc. In fact at a local hotel I sing on karaoke night a diverse assortment of music.

In summary, I found classical music the only kind that gelled with spirituality, but now that I have "found myself" I see that all forms of music have their place.

Incidentally I read somewhere that in testing how plants responded to various kinds of music, tomatoes (I think it was) grew towards classical music and away from rock music. I think there is a message there somewhere.

I find music can move me spiritually and my tastes are fairly eclectic: from electronica to classical.

:)

You know, even though I love a wide range of music, I really relish silence when it comes to spiritual practice.
The Sounds of Silence-how true.:D I tend to associate spiritual practice with a sense of spaciousness of heart and mind and do find that certain types of music do that for me-the type classed as "New Age" music. However, I don't use music as a form of spiritual practice. Seems like if I have to choose between New Age and Miles Davis most of the time I'll pick Miles. :) earl

tao

well... i enjoy Asian dub which is only related to my spiritual practice due to proximity.

there are certain types of music, say deep house or acid trance, which can be rather mind expanding but that isn't really part of my practice.. something i enjoy as a lark more than anything else.

metta,

~v

I will add that listening to Russian orthodox choral music gives me delightful thrills. On the other hand, I once listened to Tibetan overtone chanting because I heard it was supposed to be mystically, magically uplifting. The stuff drove me nuts. Musical taste/effects seem highly individual. earl

I seem to have missed this.:eek:

Can we take a step back; I think the question assumes something. How about starting with:

Is there a relationship between the music we listen to and our beliefs, spirituality and worldview?

s.

I seem to have missed this.:eek:

Can we take a step back; I think the question assumes something. How about starting with:

Is there a relationship between the music we listen to and our beliefs, spirituality and worldview?

s.

Now that is the question isn't it?
I would hazard a guess that people will reinforce their outlook with a certain type of music.
For those of us with a very eclectic taste in music, the outlook could be somewhat fluid. I will listen to heavy metal sometimes, and jazz at others. Sometimes an old song will make me feel mellow. And nothing helps me focus better than classical, except Moonlight Sonata which seems to make me daydream :)

I enjoy all kind of music. I was trained as a classical musician, and I do enjoy classical music to a great degree.

Is there a relationship between the music that I like and my spiritual life? I do not know. My spiritual training did include devotional chanting, but I prefer silence or the sounds of nature during my spiritual practices.

But I will confess that I have once and a while sat in meditation while listening to Christian Gregorian Chants.

Hermano Luis
Moriviví Hermitage

I would hazard a guess that people will reinforce their outlook with a certain type of music.

Here I am hoping for a good long thread to get to the bottom of it all and you go and hit the nail on the head. Now I'm grumpy. :mad::p

s.

I'll be back with more questions....

I enjoy all kind of music.

Me too. Except opera of course. And reggae. :)

Oh and hello if I've not said hello. :)

Why kind of hermitage is that then? (Off topic is par for the course here. Or at least it is when I'm posting :D)

s.

Here I am hoping for a good long thread to get to the bottom of it all and you go and hit the nail on the head. Now I'm grumpy. :mad::p

s.

I'll be back with more questions....

Ummm yes but I might be wrong you know, couldn't we wait for a group consensus? SG, you out there???

:D

Ummm yes but I might be wrong you know, couldn't we wait for a group consensus? SG, you out there???

:D
Huh? Group consensus? Heck, there are people whose spiritual practice consists of mostly chanting. That is musical, no? (I guess this is what the OP was after?)

I still prefer silence for my meditations, or maybe the sound of the rain falling outside. Any other time, I enjoy all sorts of music, even Reggae. I even have the Phillip Glass opera Ankhnaten on CD. (The lead is a counter-tenor. :eek: Many of the pieces are sung in the ancient languages of that time. I really have to be in a mood to listen to it, but I wouldn't call it spiritual.)

Back