End Times Survival

lunamoth

Episcopalian
Reaction score
Imagine the world enters a cataclysm of End Times proportions (no one has been raptured). A large meteor has struck the side of the earth opposite of you, essentially destroying 1/3 of the planet and throwing up a dust cloud that threatens sustained food production for the next 100 years or more. Financial markets are in disarray, there's a small amount of energy resource left in gas, oil, and electricity, but it's also not sustainable and running out. Hospitals are running out of resources to help the sick and new medicines and surgical supplies are dwindling fast.

Your town, being on the opposite side of the globe, has not been destroyed but the air is getting hazardous. The only type of broadcast communication is ham radio and reports are so sporadic it's hard to tell what exactly is going on elsewhere. So far violence and crime have been sporadic in your town, but it's getting worse daily. It's obvious that the police are going to have to use ever more force and even then it will be a losing battle.

What do you do? Will you stay or will you go? If you go, what will you take with you?

If something like this were to happen today, how prepared are you to deal with it?

Just a fun thread for discussion on a Friday. :)

BTW, I put this thread here because it seemed too heavy for the lounge, and too far-fetched for Politics and Society. Was not really sure where it would fit best, but since I believe that spirituality is about our choices, relationships, and how we order our lives, I figured that this forum would be suitable.

I hope to have access to all the survival guides including herb for health and healing especially for caves. You bet I'll go on. God? Fates? Dumb luck? who cares if I made it there must be more.

Good question, Luna. Such a scenario of catclysm, though, seems to be a magnification of fears of dying. Such fears always put our approach to living in high relief. It ultimately doesn't matter where I go or what I "do," so much as how I do the living I've got left. Seems like I heard somewhere that all we ever take with us is the love we've found and offered.:) Hi Epper. earl

Good question, Luna. Such a scenario of catclysm, though, seems to be a magnification of fears of dying. Such fears always put our approach to living in high relief. It ultimately doesn't matter where I go or what I "do," so much as how I do the living I've got left. Seems like I heard somewhere that all we ever take with us is the love we've found and offered.:) Hi Epper. earl

Oh my, I wonder what it says about me that I love stories and movies set in TEOTWAWKI scenarios, The Stand, Legend, about half of all Stephen King novels :).

I think it's fascinating to think about how dependant we are upon so many artificial things that could easily be lost. Sometimes I find myself holding on to things 'just in case,' as if having that one thing (usually something really silly like old clothes I no longer like to wear or mugs I never use) will stave off (death) disaster for a few days should things get bad.

No wonder so many elderly people are found in their homes surrounded by stacks of years' old newspapers and rooms literally packed to the rafters with bottles and empty cans (you know this happens!). We cling to stuff as if by doing so we can cling to life. When the truth is you have to let it go to have eternal life.

The Stand, though about the first novel King did, is still 1 of his best & made a great TV mini-series. earl

"If something like this were to happen today, how prepared are you to deal with it?

Just a fun thread for discussion on a Friday"

Well I dunno if it's a "fun thread"????

We seem to be entering an economic melt down though where the economy and related financial institutions seem to be struck by a large massive economic "meteor"...

Where can you run or escape? Will you stay? Do you have a choice?

- Art;)

Imagine the world enters a cataclysm of End Times proportions (no one has been raptured). A large meteor has struck the side of the earth opposite of you, essentially destroying 1/3 of the planet and throwing up a dust cloud that threatens sustained food production for the next 100 years or more. Financial markets are in disarray, there's a small amount of energy resource left in gas, oil, and electricity, but it's also not sustainable and running out. Hospitals are running out of resources to help the sick and new medicines and surgical supplies are dwindling fast.

Wow, luna. The highlighted part sounds pretty much like the situation we've got, no meteor or huge dust cloud needed.

There's nowhere left to go. We all have to hunker down where we are and respond creatively and cooperatively to the circumstances. Localize, localize, localize.

Time to put the Atkins/Lecter diet to the test.

Anyone for lunch ?

:p

tao

I do have the survival guides and I know some people who know more than me about medicinal plants and traditional lifeways. I think I'd be OK, provided there isn't a massive die-off from the dust in the air (which there probably would be, and so agriculture and also hunting-gathering would be futile and we'd all die).

Realistically, a meteor that size would kill off pretty much all life on earth that was sizeable. The one that did in the dinosaurs was a lot smaller but look at the damage it caused.

If I imagine a smaller scale disaster- something that caused severe turmoil in basic social systems but still allowed some natural stuff to grow, my plan would be hunting and gathering combined with (if I could manage it) small-scale pastoralism for protein (not from meat, but rather from blood and milk products). If there were any hope for survival on earth, my immediate family would all be with me and we have a combined knowledge base and some books to (I think) get us through.

If there were no hope, like a meteor that size, I'd just take the time I had and enjoy it to its fullest. Gather everyone 'round, hike out into the woods, and sing and dance 'round the bonfire until we died. To avoid a slow and really icky death of starvation, once we couldn't find food anymore I think I'd choose to OD on prescription narcotics. But like I said, this would only be in the case where it was obvious all higher level life would die and there would be no hope for any food source. If there was hope, I'd migrate to whatever area seemed to offer the most food.

The States has a lot of resources, not a lot of people, and even fewer people that have half a clue about survival strategies and wild foods and that are healthy enough to trek across the landscape. My guess is massive riots and high death tolls in the cities, but a relatively unpopulated countryside. Our system of national parks, forests, etc. would provide lots of food provided it was a reasonable sized disaster and not another dinosaur-extinction-sized one.

I am old enough to remember when this doomsday survivalist mindset started--in reaction to fear of nuclear annihilation--a real, deep-seated fear for many of us for decades that went away when the Soviet Union collapsed. But it seems people need to scare themselves silly so doomsday scenarios will always be popular. Now that I know the Truth that God loves the world, sent His Son to save it, not destroy it, I chuck all the gloom and doom stories out my mental window but still, I do love a good scary movie!

I think the continents most likely to survive the nukes are Africa and South America. They don't have nukes, so they won't attract nukes.

Theres a series called earths children by Jean M Auel.. I must have read these books a million times since I was a child. She did extensive research on herbs and plants for food and medicinal purposes. The book was placed back in the time of neanderthals but she was as acurate as she could be by placing it in Europe and what plant life would be like in that region. Its amazing how much Ive learned as far as what to use for what illness.. Some are easy like willowbark tea for aches and pains and foxglove for heart problems. It teaches how to start a fire without a lighter or matches.. how to cure hides and dress wounds. How to smoke meat and what to use if you dont have soap and shampoo.. I know Im going on about this but this is what I loved about this series. What if the world ended would I be ok?

As always, to go on growing in the undeserved kindness and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 3:11, 12, 14, 18)

its the only way to salvation

Welcome to IO, Epper!

(I still can't get used to that, it just doesn't flow like "CR")

Anyway, after losing an hour long composition, I decided to give my abbreviated version:

Most city slickers cringe at the thought of killing, skinning and gutting Bambi prior to making him into supper. There is this illusion of strolling through the park picking berries to survive. Not only impractical (berries don't grow all year), but would give the person the worst case of trotts they ever did have...and no matter how many times you tell 'em, there will always be a percentage that will try to wipe with poison ivy.

You don't cook with oleander skewers...or if you do survival will no longer be a concern for you.

A person can live for several days without food. Water is a more pressing concern. There are no Coca-Cola cows to milk. There are no beer trees to tap. Competition for water supplies would be fierce (defined as competing with well-armed militia types). And you can't drink salt water...it will kill within hours, a very painful death of kidney failure, as I'm sure Q could attest.

Last edited:
Since 9/11 Ready.gov - Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed. has been up and running and updated regularly.

So who has their emergency kit as asked for by the US gov't?

Now of course the Israelis have had theirs handy for decades, including gas masks for everyone in the house.

Who has multiple locations to meet?

And who is relying on just that one book?

well, i pick tasmania to go to. and i can survive in the wilderness there for a bit as long as i have warm clothing/shelter. anyone who wanted could come but i would be queen and i would hve a gun.

theres nothing wrong with that is there. LOL

what you have described is known as an extinction event
at this point individual survival is more or less irrelevant
a large percentage of death and destruction would happen at impact or imediatly after
in the next several years most of life on earth would starve, humans included

thinking about survival in terms of, "iv got a gun and have a suply of canned beans" is somewhat pointless, unless you can lock yourself up in a bunker with clean water suply and have enough canned food to last you at least 10 years, and some realy good ventilation sistem, so as not to gas yourself to death

the best chances of longterm survival are two complementary forms of society, one sedentary, centered around a powersource, lots of neon lights and intensive greenhouse agriculture, sorounded by a concrete wall and artilery, in combination or interaction with the other, seminomadic, scavenging trough the rich and abundant remains of what was, basically surviving of reciclation and whatever one can find or grow that can be eaten, wich might be more than one would think, as manny species of plant and animal would thrive in this new, competition-free enviroment, not to mention the posibility of keeping small herds of grasing animals, as some grass, moss and weeds would still be around
growing mushrooms would be big buisness, hunting them also

so its not all bad, perhaps up to 10% of the human species might survive, besides, they say human tastes like chicken

and yes there would be a lot of that too

i liked the part on financial markets, being in disaray and all that

Back