"Love": that beautiful language and emotion

Reaction score
Peace to you all,

I have always been impressed by those whose hearts are filled of great love to God. They are almost in non-stop connection with God. You see the light of peity shining from their faces. You feel the purity of their hearts flowing out with their language. You touch the tenderness of their emotions through their gestures.

May be I am always longing for establishing a non-stop connection with God that's why I am always following and reading the stories of those who choose to follow God's path, and fill their hearts with love, and love and love to God.

Faith is love in the first place. What's the use of worshipping God while your heart is preoccupied with someone/ something else?! The prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said that true faith, is not simply a word on the tongue, but what resonates in the heart, is reflect in one’s actions, and is affirmed by the tongue. ...

"Love" that beautiful language and emotion is what we should strive with might and mean to educate our hearts, tongues and deeds with.

Through the Quran, we find the description of the true worshippers whose hearts are overflowing in their love for God:

2:177 It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces towards the East or West; but it is righteousness -- to believe in Allah and the Last Day, and the Angels, and the Book, and the Messengers; to spend of your substance, out of love for Him, for your kin, for orphans, for the needy, for the wayfarer, for those who ask, and for the ransom of slaves; to be steadfast in prayer, and to practice regular charity; to fulfill the contracts which ye have made; and to be firm and patient, in pain (or suffering) and adversity, and throughout all periods of panic. Such are the people of truth, the Allah-fearing.

76:8 And they feed, for the love of Allah, the indigent, the orphan, and the captive, -

76:9 (Saying), "We feed you for the sake of Allah alone: No reward do we desire from you, nor thanks.

Whenever, I read the following saying of the prophet Muhamed, I feel that great amount of love in the Prophet’s heart, even to the coming generations:

When the Prophet visited Al Bakki’ (a burial-ground in Madienah next to the Prophet’s mosque) before his death, he told his companions:” I wish I could see (I miss) my brothers.” They replied:”Aren’t we your brothers?” The Prophet said:”No, you are my companions, my brothers are those who didn’t see me and yet follow me and believe in me. I’ll wait for them on Al Hawdh (the Place where the Prophet is going to give all survivors a handful water from his noble hands that will make them never feel thirsty again after this hard day-the Judgment Day- and this will be directly before interring Paradise).

It is all in Love, brothers and sisters. The aim behind creating this world life is to build a love relationship with God.

How I can obtain this love is a very important issue, but what is most important is how I can preserve this love, and keep the house of God (heart) pure, clean and in lasting connection with God.

In order to establish this relationship, one should follow God’s orders and obey Him all the time for sins create curtains between man and God. One should do good to all God’s creatures, and spread goodness whenever he/she is.

A righteous man once said in a poem:

And love your Lord by serving Him
For lovers are but servants of the Beloved

When she was giving counsel to her children, one of the women of the salaf once said to them, "Make it a habit to love and obey Allah, for those who have taqwah take their obedience to the point where their body experiences aversion for anything other than obedience. If the cursed one (shaytan) tries to tempt them to do something wrong, the wrong actions is ashamed and avoids them because of the way in which it is rejected by them."
Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak recited:

You disobey Allah,
and yet you still claim to love Him.
By Allah, such behaviour is disgusting,
by any standard!
You would have obeyed Him had your love been true.

For the lover is always obedient to the Beloved!
Source: http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/love.htm

Brothers and sisters, let this thread be a small oasis for us wherein we can, even slightly, fill our hearts with more love to God by providing each other with some Quranic verses, the Prophet’s sayings, the Holy Hadiths, the Salaf’s quotes, and one’s experiences about love to God. Thanks

(Best Thread Ever)

I think the Sufis got it right when they said that in order for a person's heart to fully be opened for the "Love" of God to enter, his heart must first be broken... to be completely shattered. The reason why this must be is because the first stage of love, is always the love of the world, or some the opposite sex, or your wealth, or children etc.... When real desire is awakened in one's heart, it is like a flood that drowns everything else. It is uncontrolled and uncontrollable... vicious, possessive, jealous, lustful, and proud.... However, one crucial piece of knowledge which you can gain during this period is an understanding of what "bliss" can be, that it does indeed exist. This is the closest the seeker has been to "happiness" yet, in his or her life. For now at least, he actually believes it might last forever. But the seeker is still not satisfied, and wants more. It is important to note however, that the seeker does not necessarily want the wrong things, human desire is not evil, it is natural. But it is the world around us which is a lie, and this deception is what separates it from the actual Paradise.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chapter 18: Verse 07[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"That which is on earth we have made but as a glittering show for it, in order that We may test them - as to which of them are best in conduct."[/FONT]

At this point, if Allah wills it, the heart is broken, and the trial begins. There is a reason why this must happen. Because that is the only way the seeker will understand what the world really is: A chimera... A fool's paradise. It is a way to fully experience the depth of the deception, that is this world. Because when you are in love... for you, the entire world resides in that state of love. Because love, as we know is the most passionate form of attachment. If you are not in love, you are not fully attached to whatever it is that you may want or have. When that heart that yearns is crushed, that world you believed in and hoped for, crashes. And with it go all your hopes and dreams... but most importantly, your understanding of what you thought the world was. What is really taken away from you is the little "happiness" you had, and the prospects for more. The most important step in this process is the acceptance of fate by the seeker. The desire to rebel against God is greatest in this fit of madness, because all he wants is to get back to the point where everything seemed to fit. But he or she, must willingly let it go, and submit to God's will. You must give up what has been taken away from you, without struggle.

Chapter 3, Verse 92

"By no means shall you attain to righteousness until you spend (benevolently) out of what you love; and whatever thing you spend, Allah surely knows it."

This is when real progress begins. Because the next stage that comes, is the mystical "Dark Night of the Soul". It is a dreadful, yet absolutely necessary experience that the seeker must go through at some point in his life. This is the time when your ego gets shredded. You are called to face the one thing which you feared the most... your fear of loosing everything... And this night, stretches... on, and on, and on... what seems like forever. Food looses its taste. Sleep, when it does come, fails to refresh. The body is drained of all energy and spirit. And when the sun comes up, it might as well be the moon, because its light reaches you not...

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chapter 3: Verse 142 [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"Do you think that you will enter the garden while Allah has not yet known those who strive hard from among you, and (He has not) known the patient?"[/FONT]​

Chapter 64: Verse 11

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]No kind of calamity occurs except by Allah[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]'[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s leave: And whoever believes in Allah, Allah will guide his heart [aright]: For Allah knows all things" [/FONT]

Chapter 3: Verse 172

"Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Messenger, even after being wounded, those who do right and refrain from wrong, have a great reward."

There is a purpose to the suffering one experiences during this stage. Even when one is in it, and everything seems pointless, you realize that something new is happening within you, the seeker recognizes that his most creative and sensitive senses are wide awake and fully active. I have a sneaking suspicious that most of the greatest art in the world has been born in exactly this stage of life. But there is a great price, because the heart is so fragile at this stage, and the pain is raw. It literally feels as if there is constant pressure in your chest, you might even be afflicted with illness, because your immune system almost shuts down during such psychological conditions. This, believe it or not, is good. It is exactly what is supposed to happen. There is just something about the pain which one experiences which forces us out of our slumber and forces us to see things as they really are. Slouching forward, this is the period in which one has no choice but to establish a direct connection to God. The situation is just so perilous, the path is so dark... and you are so alone... that you have no one else to turn to. Like a traveler lost in the desert, or in a ship caught between the waves, this is when one's heart is finally opened, through the pain, to the point where the it is finally drowned. And this... is death. The Sufis attribute the following saying to the Prophet: "die before you die"... To die is to leave your attachments of everything you love behind you. This is what is meant by those words. So in this sense, your material self is what dies here, while your spiritual self is awakened. Away go all your fears, nothing in this world scares you now because the only Master you recognize is The All Powerful God, in front of Whom, you tremble. This, is the true beginning of Love/Fear of God.

Chapter 8: Verse 24

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"O you who believe, answer Allah and Messenger when He calls you to that which
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]will give you life, and know that Allah comes in between a person and his heart and
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]verily to Him you shall (all) be gathered."
[/FONT]

Dialogue ... c0de ...

Brothers and sisters, let this thread be a small oasis for us wherein we can, even slightly, fill our hearts with more love to God by providing each other with some Quranic verses, the Prophet’s sayings, the Holy Hadiths, the Salaf’s quotes, and one’s experiences about love to God. Thanks
Whilst threads such as this exist, then indeed there are sparkling waters to be found in the desert that can quench the deepest spiritual thirst ... events of the world aside, the greatest loss Islam has suffered, in the eyes of this Catholic at least, is the loss of the voice of the heart-intellect, of the Ibn'Arabi and the Rumi, drowned out by the baying of the mob, driven by the goads of bitterness and intolerance.

For you the time is now, but you are not alone in that trial brother ... let no-one tell you it is a 'Moslem' problem ... and I would regard it as a privilege and an honour to be invited to drink at your wells.

Peace to you.

Thomas

@ Thomas

Salam :)

For you the time is now, but you are not alone in that trial brother ... let no-one tell you it is a 'Moslem' problem ... and I would regard it as a privilege and an honour to be invited to drink at your wells.

Peace to you.

Thomas

And let no one tell you that you will not be welcome at our tables. Ever.

A beautiful post, but my belief is that the world around us literally *is* paradise and we only have to be awakened to it to experience it as such.

peace and blessings,

qj

Adherents to most major world religions feel that theirs is a religion of love. My sense is that the Sufis see the experience of love as a means...

1) to get past the usual ego drives
2) to learn tawakkul (G-d dependence)
3) to grow toward sincerity in prayer and repentance
4) to sharpen conscience
5) to add motive force for right action

(Best Thread Ever)

I think the Sufis got it right when they said that in order for a person's heart to fully be opened for the "Love" of God to enter, his heart must first be broken... to be completely shattered. The reason why this must be is because the first stage of love, is always the love of the world, or some the opposite sex, or your wealth, or children etc.... When real desire is awakened in one's heart, it is like a flood that drowns everything else. It is uncontrolled and uncontrollable... vicious, possessive, jealous, lustful, and proud.... However, one crucial piece of knowledge which you can gain during this period is an understanding of what "bliss" can be, that it does indeed exist. This is the closest the seeker has been to "happiness" yet, in his or her life. For now at least, he actually believes it might last forever. But the seeker is still not satisfied, and wants more. It is important to note however, that the seeker does not necessarily want the wrong things, human desire is not evil, it is natural. But it is the world around us which is a lie, and this deception is what separates it from the actual Paradise.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chapter 18: Verse 07[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"That which is on earth we have made but as a glittering show for it, in order that We may test them - as to which of them are best in conduct."[/FONT]

At this point, if Allah wills it, the heart is broken, and the trial begins. There is a reason why this must happen. Because that is the only way the seeker will understand what the world really is: A chimera... A fool's paradise. It is a way to fully experience the depth of the deception, that is this world. Because when you are in love... for you, the entire world resides in that state of love. Because love, as we know is the most passionate form of attachment. If you are not in love, you are not fully attached to whatever it is that you may want or have. When that heart that yearns is crushed, that world you believed in and hoped for, crashes. And with it go all your hopes and dreams... but most importantly, your understanding of what you thought the world was. What is really taken away from you is the little "happiness" you had, and the prospects for more. The most important step in this process is the acceptance of fate by the seeker. The desire to rebel against God is greatest in this fit of madness, because all he wants is to get back to the point where everything seemed to fit. But he or she, must willingly let it go, and submit to God's will. You must give up what has been taken away from you, without struggle.

Chapter 3, Verse 92

"By no means shall you attain to righteousness until you spend (benevolently) out of what you love; and whatever thing you spend, Allah surely knows it."​

This is when real progress begins. Because the next stage that comes, is the mystical "Dark Night of the Soul". It is a dreadful, yet absolutely necessary experience that the seeker must go through at some point in his life. This is the time when your ego gets shredded. You are called to face the one thing which you feared the most... your fear of loosing everything... And this night, stretches... on, and on, and on... what seems like forever. Food looses its taste. Sleep, when it does come, fails to refresh. The body is drained of all energy and spirit. And when the sun comes up, it might as well be the moon, because its light reaches you not...

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chapter 3: Verse 142 [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"Do you think that you will enter the garden while Allah has not yet known those who strive hard from among you, and (He has not) known the patient?"[/FONT]​

Chapter 64: Verse 11

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]No kind of calamity occurs except by Allah[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]'[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s leave: And whoever believes in Allah, Allah will guide his heart [aright]: For Allah knows all things" [/FONT]

Chapter 3: Verse 172

"Of those who answered the call of Allah and the Messenger, even after being wounded, those who do right and refrain from wrong, have a great reward."

There is a purpose to the suffering one experiences during this stage. Even when one is in it, and everything seems pointless, you realize that something new is happening within you, the seeker recognizes that his most creative and sensitive senses are wide awake and fully active. I have a sneaking suspicious that most of the greatest art in the world has been born in exactly this stage of life. But there is a great price, because the heart is so fragile at this stage, and the pain is raw. It literally feels as if there is constant pressure in your chest, you might even be afflicted with illness, because your immune system almost shuts down during such psychological conditions. This, believe it or not, is good. It is exactly what is supposed to happen. There is just something about the pain which one experiences which forces us out of our slumber and forces us to see things as they really are. Slouching forward, this is the period in which one has no choice but to establish a direct connection to God. The situation is just so perilous, the path is so dark... and you are so alone... that you have no one else to turn to. Like a traveler lost in the desert, or in a ship caught between the waves, this is when one's heart is finally opened, through the pain, to the point where the it is finally drowned. And this... is death. The Sufis attribute the following saying to the Prophet: "die before you die"... To die is to leave your attachments of everything you love behind you. This is what is meant by those words. So in this sense, your material self is what dies here, while your spiritual self is awakened. Away go all your fears, nothing in this world scares you now because the only Master you recognize is The All Powerful God, in front of Whom, you tremble. This, is the true beginning of Love/Fear of God.

Chapter 8: Verse 24

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]"O you who believe, answer Allah and Messenger when He calls you to that which [/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]will give you life, and know that Allah comes in between a person and his heart and [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]​

[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]verily to Him you shall (all) be gathered." [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]​

[/FONT]

Wonderful post, c0de. Thanks, brother:)

Dialogue ... c0de ...

Whilst threads such as this exist, then indeed there are sparkling waters to be found in the desert that can quench the deepest spiritual thirst ... events of the world aside, the greatest loss Islam has suffered, in the eyes of this Catholic at least, is the loss of the voice of the heart-intellect, of the Ibn'Arabi and the Rumi, drowned out by the baying of the mob, driven by the goads of bitterness and intolerance.

Peace to you.

Thomas

Peace Thomas,

As c0de said,Thomas, you are always welcome.:)

yes, Thomas, this not just a Muslim problem, but I am now trying to shed light about love in Islam.

Ibn Arabi and AL Rumi represent philosophocal sufism, that's why they recieve understanding only from intellectuals. It was,and still is, very hard for the masses to understand their writings.

The concept of love in Islam is very simple: Fill your heart with God's love, and hence when God' love really spreads inside, then a believer always makes what pleases God. The Prophet Muhamed peace be upon him said:
"All creatures are God's children, and those dearest to God are the ones who treat His children kindly."

Also, he said:
" None of you [truly] believes until he loves for his brother that which he loves for himself."

A beautiful post, but my belief is that the world around us literally *is* paradise and we only have to be awakened to it to experience it as such.

peace and blessings,

qj

Peace, qj

I am happy to know that you live in paradise. May your paradise last forever.......:)

We would be grateful if you share with us what makes your world a paradise

How to gain God's love? what shall one do to gain God's love? The following Quarnic answers give us the answer:

"And yet there are some people who replace God with rivals,loving them as God is loved. But the believers love God more intensely"(2:165)

"It was made attractive to people, the love of things they crave;women, sons, heaped-up heaps of gold and silver,branded horses, cattle and will-tilled land.But that is for the enjoyment of this worldly life,But God, with Him is the beautiful homecoming"(3:14)

As for the Prophet Muhamed peace be upon him's sayings, there are a great number of them which talk about love between God and his srvants, or among people:

""God Almighty said: If My servant loves to meet Me, I love to meet him, and if he hates to meet Me, I hate to meet him." (narrated by Bukhari)

"God loves kindness when you deal with any matter" (narrated by Bukhari and Muslim)

"You will not enter Paradise until you have faith and you will not have faith until you love one another. Do you want me to tell you something you can do to make you love one another? Make it a habit to greet one another with "Asalamu Alaykum" - peace upon you".(narrated by Muslim)

"Give gifts to each other, as this will make you love one another." (narrated by Muslim)

"A man came to the Prophet (may God's peace and blessings be upon him) and asked him "O God's Messenger, tell me of something I do to win God's love and people's love". The Prophet answered "Do not love this world, God would love you and do not have a longing for whatever people have, people would love you".[SIZE=-1](narrated by Ibn-Majah)[/SIZE]

"Visit one another from time to time, your love for each other will increase." (narrated by al Bazzar)

"When a man asked the prophet, may God's peace and blessings be upon him, "O Messenger of God, when will the Day of Judgement be?", the Prophet replied, "What have you prepared for it?" he said, "I have not prepared for it a great deal of prayer, fasting nor charity, but I love God and His Messenger intensely," the Prophet said, "You will be with those whom you love."(narrated by Bukhari)

Adherents to most major world religions feel that theirs is a religion of love. My sense is that the Sufis see the experience of love as a means...

1) to get past the usual ego drives
2) to learn tawakkul (G-d dependence)
3) to grow toward sincerity in prayer and repentance
4) to sharpen conscience
5) to add motive force for right action

Peace, Netti

Thank you for joining in for discussion.

You said adherents to most world religions feel that their religion is that of love. I think I didnt get you clear? Do you want to say that love in religions isnt a reality?!

What you said about the sufis experience of love and its motives might be true. But, for me, the ultimate aim of love for sufis or for any devout believer is to get closer and closer to God, and preserving this love by continuous monitoring of one's ego.

@ Dialogue + Netti

The way I understood Netti's point is that love seems to be the goal itself, for most other religions, while the sufis in Islam consider it more of a means to reach the ultimate goal, which is nearness to Allah. Maybe Netti can elaborate.

Peace, qj

I am happy to know that you live in paradise. May your paradise last forever.......:)

We would be grateful if you share with us what makes your world a paradise

I believe that we are called to live as if the Kingdom of God were already here - and yet it is said that the Kingdom of God is within you. Certainly the world we live on is finite, but it seems to defy complete description - there is no sign that science will ever be complete (despite the claims of some that we will soon know the mind of God). So what is the cause of the imperfection which we assign to the world of our perception? Perhaps just a childish insistance that everything should go our way. But it is surely easier to re-orient our world view than to forcibly change the minds of nearly 7 billion other souls.

I believe Islam has a lot to offer our shared civilization on the subject of letting go and "letting God". God carries out his will by the faithful actions of his believers. Because I studied physics I sometimes think of the human world as a kind of spiritual superfluid - a tiny point of condensation and the whole world suddenly changes phase. I believe this is the true aim of Christ's teaching - to get us to behave in such away that the evil of the world collapses and the great lie vanishes. That lie holds that good can never overcome but though it may be slower and steadier, love wins always because it knows the value of sacrifice. Jesus knew this whatever you believe about the crucifixion. The important thing for me is that the Christ-spirit that he promised us all, that is accessible to all will change the world into an outward paradise as well as an inward one which it always was by being spoken into existence by the Word that was with God in the beginning.

And yet have you never looked up at the clouds passing by or the stars shining at night. Doesn't it fill your soul with majesty and awe, a wholeness that makes our human struggle to determine who shall be greatest seem futile and misguided.

No, in the words of Mary Dyer, the Quaker martyr hanged by order of the Massachusetts legislature, "Yea, I have been in Paradise these several days...".

So abandon fear of the death of ego, open your soul to the light of the Christ spirit, and uphold with gentle hands the fragilities of your neighbours and yourself for all may be purified before God.

peace and blessings,

qj

The way I understood Netti's point is that love seems to be the goal itself, for most other religions, while the sufis in Islam consider it more of a means to reach the ultimate goal, which is nearness to Allah. Maybe Netti can elaborate.
I suspect other religions incorporate love in a similar way. I wasn't trying to do a comparison and contrast.

The first two sentences of my post should probably have been separated, Sorry about that. :)

@ Quakeyjase + Netti

Quakeyjase

That is beautiful QJ. I remember I held views similar to these as recently as three years ago. I am interested to know, how do you keep such lofty sentiments alive? What I mean by that is: how do you perceive the evil that is present in the world, and within us? Do you recognize it as an illusion? A necessary part of the system maybe, while trying and do whatever you can in your power to right the wrongs and fix the problems which you can?

Netti

Yep, that does lessen the ambiguity. :)

cOde

That is beautiful QJ. I remember I held views similar to these as recently as three years ago. I am interested to know, how do you keep such lofty sentiments alive? What I mean by that is: how do you perceive the evil that is present in the world, and within us? Do you recognize it as an illusion? A necessary part of the system maybe, while trying and do whatever you can in your power to right the wrongs and fix the problems which you can?

Here are some random thoughts from simone Weil on love:

"The love of truth. An apparent paradox: one is presented with the two ideas: 'love' and 'truth'. Now 'Love' is something which belongs to the emotions, and 'truth' to the mind. The main difficulty here is: 'Something which belongs to the mind gives rise to feeling.'" (*1)

"The love of truth then is in itself very weak indeed. What is loved, is not the truth, but what gives pleasure; one believes that what is pleasing is true, and believes it sincerely." (*2)

"Descartes thought that whenever someone loves, he is in the same physiological state as he was in at the time when he was in his mother's arms."

"We still have to find out why these physiological states are reproduced: the first pleasure is that of sucking, the sight of the mother gives the child a feeling of pleasure; by a conditioned reflex, when he finds someone who reminds him of his mother, and therefore of a particular physiological state, he will feel love. And depending on the present physiological state and the sex of the object, it will be love in the strict sense of the word, or friendship, etc." (*3)

"Things are means of bringing something to mind; we need things which have no value in themselves to remind ourselves of those whom we love the most. Things then take on a real power. Prisoners who possess nothing of this kind write the names of loved ones on the walls of their cells, lovers on the trunk of trees." (*4)

"Love never exists without admiration; one forces the person loved to resemble the image one has of him. It is because this kind of thing happens that feelings have mastery over thoughts. A man who loves someone else will be right because he will see nothing but good in him; if someone else hates the man the other loves he will be right too. One could think of very many kinds of cases in which the attitude of the body dictates to the feelings." (*5)

"Emotions: one can make the conditioned reflex attached to a name so strong that no natural reflex will be able, later, to destroy it. Whenever a lover is in a state which is like that he is in when he is near what he loves, everything seems to him to emanate from what is loved ('crystallisation')." (*6)
"It is due to religion and art that one can arrive at a representation of what is individual; it is due to feeling (friendship, love, affection) that one human being is different from others." (*7)

Notice how love in this transcendent sense is diluted into feelings of justification for want of a better word. Mob violence is oiften an expression of justified love.

cOde

"The love of truth. An apparent paradox: one is presented with the two ideas: 'love' and 'truth'. Now 'Love' is something which belongs to the emotions, and 'truth' to the mind. The main difficulty here is: 'Something which belongs to the mind gives rise to feeling.'"

I just read this article before logging on, and how relevant it is to this first post I read here: "What is surprising is the degree to which hatred is associated with logic and planning. The researchers write in their paper:... So basically, hating somebody heightens your judgment and your ability to assess what other people are likely to do next. The researchers note that in this way hatred is neurologically unlike love, which tends to deactivate judgment." Brains: How Hatred Transforms Your Brain

So now we have scientific proof of Weil's assertion: "The love of truth. An apparent paradox"

I just read this article before logging on, and how relevant it is to this first post I read here: "What is surprising is the degree to which hatred is associated with logic and planning. The researchers write in their paper:... So basically, hating somebody heightens your judgment and your ability to assess what other people are likely to do next. The researchers note that in this way hatred is neurologically unlike love, which tends to deactivate judgment." Brains: How Hatred Transforms Your Brain

So now we have scientific proof of Weil's assertion: "The love of truth. An apparent paradox"
I wouldn't say that love deactivates judgment, but rather invokes mercy and forgiveness.

Very true. But perhaps the real source of hatred is self love which has deactivated judgment. Why hate the scapegoat? Hitler understood the logic of directed hate in support of patriotic love. The Jews became the scapegoat. But the cause is the loss of the experience of self love and someone must take the blame.

A terrorist's bombings are simply the lawful degeneration of the love of truth natural for the corrupted heart.

@ Seattlegal + Nick

Seattlegal

I wouldn't say that love deactivates judgment, but rather invokes mercy and forgiveness.
I hope you are wrong, because I desperately want it to deactivate my judgment. It is the "quietness of mind" which I want out of love. I don't know.... but as highly regarded as "thought" and intellect seem to be by everyone, I would pick "feeling" over it any day... That moment of unbroken silence, in the midst of the noises of ecstasy.... from what I remember, no part of my brain which handled "judgment" did I want to disturb that peace. It couldn't even if it tried. But such moments never last... not here anyway...

Nick A

Very true. But perhaps the real source of hatred is self love which has deactivated judgment. Why hate the scapegoat? Hitler understood the logic of directed hate in support of patriotic love. The Jews became the scapegoat. But the cause is the loss of the experience of self love and someone must take the blame.

A terrorist's bombings are simply the lawful degeneration of the love of truth natural for the corrupted heart.
Self love... that most cardinal of all the false idols. Which may be the source of all falsities present in the human condition... The tragedy of all tragedies, is it not? The one sentiment which can save the human spirit, ends up being the most dangerous and deceptive of them all!

Back