Poetry Competition

What if
What if there was a world, just outside my door
Full of languages and cultures waiting to be explored
What if there are people just like me
Wanting to connect with others, wanting to see,
To experience, and feel life and hope and love.
What if the cards I have been dealt take on a whole new twist
What if the deck gets shuffled, why do I exist?
What if my secret longing to be known throughout the world
could transpire through a medium that didn’t exist before.
What if friends that touch my heart don’t live across the street
Across the oceans and many lands, the friendships still, are sweet.
What if I hadn’t gone online and ventured to explore
From the safety of my bedroom, asking questions , wanting more.

What if I hadn’t posted, just sat back and watched the flow.
What if I hadn’t interacted, the banter to and fro
What if I hadn’t asked the questions that had been playing on my mind
What if I hadn’t reached out, and you reached out to me
I wouldn’t have found my dear friends and the love of my life
I know that IF I hadn’t gone online, my life would be empty.

The masters of the fourth dimension shuddered, caught out by the laws of physics,
The masters of the fourth dimension were hailed as gods by the new found mystics.
And so a world was born which bore no location, a world made circular by halluncination.
Sound absorbed colour and took on form, it was given a voice and the voice poured scorn,
derision and paranoia became the norm
And yet- although signs in the heavens told of death a bell then told and it too did speak
of strange events and stranger freaks:
the primary function of the fouth dimension was invention.

Three great entries. I am very impressed.

If anyone should choose to make multiple entries I have no objection.

I want the entries to be decided by vote here and not me. I would be very appreciative of suggestions how this would be best achieved.

glowing faintly
the bluish hue of anonymity
calls out comfort in the dark desolace
we inhabit

metta,

~v

Iced Drink in a Cyber Shop

Boiling water strikes the bean, brings out its flavor.
The boiling is life, and the bean is our life.
Out comes the flavor, out come our lives.
Ice is the friendship, making it pleasant to drink.
Though brandy is too sweet, still harvest the peach..
Its all smooth on the rocks. So we are.
Hate, love, read me, daunt me. Just make me smooth.

There comes a time....
XVII
There comes a time in life, somtimes more than once.
Where we question it all, What is the significance to this existance?
There comes a time in life, where we over look the small things
Where did I come from? Where am I heading, what is the goal? The reward? The bigger meanings?

There comes a time in life, where we fear the worst and impower death.
Is this day it? Is this the day I shall take that last breath?
There comes a time in life, where we hesitate and feel alone. Dwelling for a conclusion.
But all these things are but a mask, an illusion.

There comes a time in life, where we meet a stranger, who seems to have no effect upon us.
As time goes by they grow on us, we bond, we debate, we play, and trust.
There comes a time in life, where we then reflect back on experience.
All those short meetings between two add up, and those "small things" make significance.

There comes a time in life, where we can be honoured to have the aquaintance of extraordinary magnificence.

(don't vote for me, I just wanted to give it a try lol)​

My poem has a title, unlike some of these others. I am certain Flow would pick mine.

Ummmmmm, guys, due to the fact that Tao will be absent from here, He has asked me to look after this competition. I am , tho removing myself from the competiting. (bugger, cos you all know I was gonna win) LOL.
So, dont stop creating your poetry guys, its for Flow, really, after all.

Also, I have something I want to talk about. I recently read the introduction to How to Write Poetry. Is that cheating? If it is not cheating, then why do I feel so guilty?

Also, I have something I want to talk about. I recently read the introduction to How to Write Poetry. Is that cheating? If it is not cheating, then why do I feel so guilty?
No, Dream, that is not cheating. :)

As for your feeling guilty: is poetry something you've been raised to view as inherently sinful or improper? :confused:

My poem has a title, unlike some of these others. I am certain Flow would pick mine.

Was the first rule to have a title?

Of course it is not cheating. That would be like saying a doctor getting a fellowship in neuropathology is cheating...everyone has the right to educate themselves in whatever 'competition' they are in. It not only benefits themselves but the competion.

Now if Tao had included in his requirements that only amateurs or only uneducated dullards who refuse to learn need apply, he'd get different results and that may have been cheating...and there may be others around who should be entering..did I say that?

Seattlegal said:
No, Dream, that is not cheating. :)

As for your feeling guilty: is poetry something you've been raised to view as inherently sinful or improper? :confused:
Well, perhaps I'm projecting some guilt about something else: To be honest, in antipation of winning this competition I'm feeling guilty about crushing the competition. This may sound arrogant, but its actually very humble. Just let me explain?

If you and I were to play Monopoly, you'd learn that I hate winning almost as much as losing; so I work to make the game go faster. Instead of getting a monopoly, I work hard to get one of each color! Then I make sure every player has a monopoly, which speeds up the game, shortening all of the cruelty. (Nobody offers anymore to play Monopoly when I'm around, which is a plus.) So you see, I even hate winning at Monopoly; because it causes everyone else to suffer! Is this not humility at work?

Wil said:
Of course it is not cheating. That would be like saying a doctor getting a fellowship in neuropathology is cheating...everyone has the right to educate themselves in whatever 'competition' they are in. It not only benefits themselves but the competion.

Now if Tao had included in his requirements that only amateurs or only uneducated dullards who refuse to learn need apply, he'd get different results and that may have been cheating...and there may be others around who should be entering..did I say that?
Yes, I know what you mean; but how many people are actually trying to win? They're obviously all trying to lose. Take Vajradhara's entry for instance: He humbly jots something down about the fourth dimension and infinity! Come on! I've never heard of a Buddhist who didn't write about infinity or the fourth dimension! Can you guess what number (17) Alex's poem starts with? Greymore drops out to become judge, because she feels sorry for Tao (who just doesn't want to appear to be a Simon (which he already is (because he's always annoying the faithful (and also traveling the world(which they've never seen (mostly))))). My poem is elegant, contains stunning imagery and appeals to all the senses. Its not too sappy, not too abstract, neither too Yoda, nor very Picasso, and has no run-on sentences. It definitely flows and even has onomatapoeia.

In summary: I think that in order to save a lot of angst, we should move up the judgment date. I mean, why make everyone suffer more than is necessary?

Back