Why Judaism and Christianity reject Koran

K

koranist

Why Judaism and Christianity reject the KoranQuote

There has been many discussions by Jews and Christians regarding the Koran. In recent times there has been an emphasis on Koran and violence and Koran and freedom and Koran and women. Although I have dealt with the issue of violence and freedom in my other posts, I will talk about another issue which I think is absolutely crucial in understanding why the Jews and Christians can never accept the Koran. There are of cource many other reasons why people question the Koran, and certainly in the history and current reality of many adherents of the so called Islamic faith do raise issues regarding frredom and women and violence. But my main concern is about these two religious traditions and why the real issues that seperate them from the Koran are rarely highlited.

Though these two religions reject each other and are odds with one another but they do have one thing in common regarding the Koran. My purpose here is to explain the role of Jesus in shaping the attitude these two religioons have regarding the Koran.

Those who pay attention can notice that there is constant attempt by Christians, and here I mean the orthodoxy, to paint Islam as somehow different from either Christianity or even Judaism. Muhammad is never compared with any of the prophets you read in the Bible. There is always an attempt even to distance themselves from the God of the Koran. The reality is these differences they try to propagate are fakes. Because the real difference and point of contention between the Koran and these two religions is on what they believe about Jesus and what the Koran says about Jesus. Both these religious traditions could never accept the Jesus reality as presented in the Koran. Once again these are not the only issues, but as a Koranist who does not confirm to Sunni/Shia sectarianism, my intention is to highlight their rejection of the Koran. I will show how regardless of any other issues, the Jesus of the Koran stand in stark contradiction to the central theological core of these two faiths, Judaism and Christianity as practiced and understood by the orthodoxies.

The Koran says it came to confirm the previous scriptures:

5.46. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear God.

"It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong)," (3:3).

2.41 And believe in what I reveal, confirming the revelation which is with you, and be not the first to reject Faith therein, nor sell My Signs for a small price; and fear Me, and Me alone.

2.89 And when there comes to them a Book from God, confirming what is with them,- although from of old they had prayed for victory against those without Faith,- when there comes to them that which they (should) have recognized, they refuse to believe in it but the curse of God is on those without Faith.

If the Koran came to confirm the Torah and Gospel and speaks of them as Divine revelations, why would both the Jews and Christians have a serious problem with the Koran? The answer is Jesus.

The Christian orthodoxy is built around the divinity of Jesus, and the Jewsih orthodoxy is built on the awaiting of the Messiah and their rejection of Jesus as the Messiah and indeed of his miraculous birth. Although these are not the only issues the orthodoxies are structured around, without them the orthodoxy can not maintain itself as it is.

So what does the Koran say about Jesus?

When the angel said, "Mary, God gives you a good tidings of a Word from Him whose name is messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, -high honoured shall he be in this world and the next, near stationed to God. He shall speak to men in the cradle, and of age, and righteous he shall be, "lord" said Mary "How shall I have a son, seeing no mortal has touched me? "Even so, he said "God creates what He will". When he decrees a thing He but say to it, "Be", and it is. (Al-Imran 3:45-47)

"Then she brought the child to her folk, carrying him, and they said, "Mary, you have surely committed a monstrous thing. Sister of Aaron, your father was not a wicked man, nor your mother a woman unchaste. Mary pointed to the child; but they said, 'Hoe shall we speak to one who still in the cradle, a little child. And he said, 'Lo, I am God's servant, God has given me the Book and made me a Prophet Blessed He has made me ,wherever/may be; and He has enjoined me to prayer, and to give the alms so long as I live, and likewise to cherish my mother; He has not made me arrogant and wicked. Peace be upon me, the day I was born, and the day I die, and the day I am raised up alive. "Maryam 19:29-33)

5.110.Then will God say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: 'This is nothing but evident magic.'

This will be absolutely rejected by the Jewish Rabbis. This not only confirms the miraculous birth of Jesus but also confirms he was the awaited messiah as promised in the Hebrew Bible. The Jews rejected Jesus and still do and these verses alone are more than enough to convince the Judaic orthodoxy to reject the Koran outright. Nothing stands against the Judaic orthodoxy more than these verses.

As far as the Christian orthodoxy:

"And they say, The All-Merciful has taken unto Himself a son. You have indeed advanced something hideous. As if the skies are about to burst, the earth to split asunder and its mountain to fall down in the utter ruin for that they have attributed to the All-merciful a son; and behaves not the All-merciful to take a son. None there in the heavens and earth but comes to the All-Merciful as a servant" (Maryam 19:88-93)

Truly the likeness of Jesus, in God's sight is as Adam's likeness; He created him of dust, then He said upon him, 'Be' and he was. (Al-Imran 3:59)

People of the Book, do not go beyond the bounds in your religion, and say nought as to God but the Truth. The messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only the messenger of God, and his word that he committed to Mary, and a spirit originating from Him. So believe in God and His Messengers, and say not 'Three'. Refrain, better is for you. God is only one God. Glory be to him-that He should have a son! To Him belongs all that is in the Heavens and in the Earth; God suffices for a guardian.(4.171)

This is of course in stark contrast and indeed a denounciation of the Christian orthodoxy which is structured on the divinity of Jesus and the Trinity. These verses alone completely nullifies that orthodoxy in its core theological understanding.

So both these religions can not accept that Jesus was the awaited Messiah born of a miraculous nature but yet human and completely unassociated physically with the Almighty. Yet these issues are never discussed and distractions are usually presented. of course these are not the only issues since Islam has a sectarian component as represented by the Sunni/Shia religions which rely on oral traditions, known as hadiths, that dominate their religions and in many cases contradict the Koran. But the verses I presented today I am sure will clearly indicate that theverses about Jesus in the Koran by itself is enough for the Judiac and Christian orthodoxy to reject the Koran outright.

So there you have it.

Also see:

What Koran says about war and fighting

[
link to liberalforum.org]

What Koran says about freedom of religion

[
link to liberalforum.org]

What Koran says about the Torah and Gospel

[
link to www.conflictingviews.com]

Reject Sunni/Shia sectarianism. Real Islam is only Koran. These sects follow the so called prophetic tradition(oral traditions) that were compiled 2 to 3 centuries after Muhammad which they believe "explains" the Koran or "suppliments" the Koran. They call them hadiths. Shariah law of theirs is based on these hadiths. Hadiths have the same place in Islam as the Talmud has on Judaism. Jesus condemned the Talmud in Mark 7 and so did the Koran. Real Islam is only Koran.

[
link to free-minds.org]

Why Judaism and Christianity reject the KoranQuote

But my main concern is about these two religious traditions and why the real issues that seperate them from the Koran are rarely highlited.

thanks for the work and research
Reject Sunni/Shia sectarianism. Real Islam is only Koran. These sects follow the so called prophetic tradition(oral traditions) that were compiled 2 to 3 centuries after Muhammad which they believe "explains" the Koran or "suppliments" the Koran. They call them hadiths. Shariah law of theirs is based on these hadiths. Hadiths have the same place in Islam as the Talmud has on Judaism. Jesus condemned the Talmud in Mark 7 and so did the Koran. Real Islam is only Koran.

[link to free-minds.org]

Wow!

Make's for a good start, that's for sure.

Dear koranist

Islam is not only the Holy Quran, it is also the Hadeeth.

How do you pray?
Is it mentioned in the holy Quran?

How do you perform Hajj and Umrah?

How do you understand the Quran if you ignore the context of the revelation that is the life of the prophet prayer and peace be upon him and his family and the situation he was in?

For each situation, there is a judgment, you cannot judge every one who steal the same judge, you have to see the situation of the person, maybe s/he was very hungry and about to die.

Alot of wrong people justified their crimes because they ignored the prophet's explanation for the Holy Quran.

So, indeed the Holy Quran is Our Source and we also need some help to adjust our understanding, we need a way that lead us to God and the way is the prophet prayer and peace be upon him.

Every prophet is the way to Allah ,Glorified and Exalted be He, and before Mohammad prayer and peace be upon him was Jesus PBUH and before Jesus was Moses PBUH.

I didn't understand you

Can you explain it more, please
Do you accept the prophet that followed yours which culminated in creating a Bahai religion?

If not, why not? And then if not your reasoning will be similar to why pagans don't follow Judaism, Jews don't follow Christianity and Christians don't follow Islam. ie they deem their religion sufficient and complete.

wil said:
pagans don't follow Judaism
to be fair, wil, every single modern pagan i have ever met could not truly be said to be demonstrably following a pre-judaic religion in any sense which takes account of continuity. in other words, neo-pagans are not the guys we described as idolaters in late graeco-roman-parthian-near-eastern antiquity, let alone those of biblical times. that's why we can have dialogue with them, they're perfectly noahide in 99.9% of cases.

your question is still a good one. also, what about ismailis and ahmadis?

b'shalom

bananabrain

Do you accept the prophet that followed yours which culminated in creating a Bahai religion?

If not, why not? And then if not your reasoning will be similar to why pagans don't follow Judaism, Jews don't follow Christianity and Christians don't follow Islam. ie they deem their religion sufficient and complete.

I guess the reason is that nobody ever said he is the final one. Moses said there are more to come, Jesus said there is something more, buddha says there will be more (Buddhas), Krishna says "whenever there is adharma, I come". Its only Muhammad who says that it all ends here .... this is the eternal blessed way now... no more upgrades required.

Look, we follow the truth wherever we find it.

If they can prove that they are truthful in what they say, then why shall I deny them?

My religion is the Truth.

I guess the reason is that nobody ever said he is the final one. Moses said there are more to come, Jesus said there is something more, buddha says there will be more (Buddhas), Krishna says "whenever there is adharma, I come". Its only Muhammad who says that it all ends here .... this is the eternal blessed way now... no more upgrades required.
ah but no. I believe the Jews had their note and the bible added what will happen to those that modify or add to the text.

It is not uncommon for someone to think they have the last word now is it?
Look, we follow the truth wherever we find it.

If they can prove that they are truthful in what they say, then why shall I deny them?

My religion is the Truth.
I believe that is the same thing the Jews, Christians and Bahai say as well. We must all be right!

Salaam/Peace--
I think that Muslims reject the Bahai faith because of the simple fact that the founder of Bahai religion claimed to be the Jesus-returning, a 'divinity.' Anyone/anything claiming divinity other than God Himself is rejected in Islaam.
Also, Bahai faith (in my personal point of view) attempts to reconcile every other religion together under the flag of one true path. Islamic Message is about One God and anyone accepting this Message must leave everything else behind (old practices and beliefs). A Hindu, if s/he wishes to convert to Islaam, must reject old believes in their idols or preachers who worshipped idols. I feel that, although Bahais are adhering to the Judeo-Christian ideas, they seem to accept that in every religious group out there is a truth that leads to The Truth. For a Muslim, I am sorry, but worshipping a figure of an elephant does not seem a truth that leads to the Ultimate Truth.
That is why Muslims reject Bahai faith, among other reasons.
I think that the idea behind the Bahai is positive: to reconcile and make peace, accept each other, love each other, etc. It's all cool. I respect that and I think one, even if not Bahai by faith, should encourage all that. And I do not believe that Bahais should be persecuted for what and how they believe.
Peace.

Peace--
In regards to Jews and Christians, The Holy Qur'an recognizes these two religious groups as autonomous from Muslims and teaches that Jews and Christians received the Same Message as Muslims did. If you would remember, the Holy Qur'an tells that all believing Jews, Christians, Sabians and Muslims will enter Heaven. Now, many will say: "Then why does Qur'an criticizes and 'attacks' Jews and Christians?" The answer is found in the Qur'an itself. It says that some Jews and Christians are still believers in that which was truly revealed to them, and therefore will not attack Muslim believers. Others, it is stated in the Holy Qur'an, are not following that which was revealed to them (the authentic biblical Message).
We must keep in mind, that there were more than one Jewish sect in the old days. Today, there are hundreds of christian sub sects in the US alone. Muslims have certainly split into groups after Prophet Muhammad's pbuh death as well. Perhaps if God Almighty would to reveal a Message today, maybe He would say the same thing about Muslims: that some of Muslims are following the Qur'an and others not.
Also, it is made clear in the Holy Qur'an, that not all people will accept Qur'an as the Revelation.
When it comes to Judaism and Islam, they are more similar than different. The belief about God, the rituals, the dietary issues, dress codes, Sharia is like the Mosaic Law in many many ways, etc. Christianity and Islaam I feel share the understanding of Jesus as the Messiah, the Heaven and Hell ideas, acceptance of the Hebrew Prophets, but that is as far as it goes, I feel. If God told me that Islam is no more and I must choose between Judaism and Christianity, I would choose Judaism because it is more similar to Islam in its theological philosophy (although I would probably rebel, because I love Jesus pbuh as our Messiah).

Peace--
Christianity and Islaam I feel share the understanding of Jesus as the Messiah, the Heaven and Hell ideas, acceptance of the Hebrew Prophets, but that is as far as it goes, I feel.

hello amica, l was under the impression that Jesus was not a messiah, but a prophet or messager in Islam? there is a difference no?

Hello--
No. In the Qur'an it is said that Jesus pbuh was the promised Messiah for Israel, that he was a prophet (not divinity) and Ruh sent by Allah Almighty. Islam recognizes Jesus pbuh as a special prophet in away, because Muslims are taught that Jesus pbuh was much like Adam pbuh in his creation (as opposed to other prophets). Adam pbuh had no human parents, he was just created by God Almighty. Jesus pbuh had one human parent unlike any other prophets before him.

No,

http://www.interfaith.org/forum/the-origion-of-bahai-religion-11003.html

However we as muslims hope that they will come back to God and seek His forgiveness.

We don't hope that they will die as disbelievers.

We hope all the people are truthful, honest, loving and merciful as we hope they will be exposed to the Light of Allah The Source of all Goodness Blessed and Exalted be He.

Clarification Alert
!
:)

Jesus pbuh had one human parent unlike any other prophets before him.

The Quran never specifically says that Jesus PBUH was born via a virgin birth. In fact, it actually implies otherwise, as God reveals that lots were cast for the hand of Mary (PBUH) to be given away in marriage (as she was entrusted to the temple priesthood as a child), while the Lord revealed to her (separately) that she would conceive a blessed child. It is taken for granted that just because Mary PBUH was surprised when she was told that she would conceive, that somehow she conceived Jesus PBUH without a father. But in actuality, her surprise is better explained by the fact that she did not know that she would be married when revelation came to her as her caretakers who were planning to have her married probably did not tell her that she would be married :eek:

So the next day she was probably like... "what what WHAT! excuse me!! you "cast lots" for my MARIAGE!!!! what am I chopped liver???" and then she probably remembered what God said to her and then she was probably like..."oooohhhhhh.... ok.. I get it.. duh!"

.... sorry for the distraction, carry on.

No,

However we as muslims hope that they will come back to God and seek His forgiveness.

We don't hope that they will die as disbelievers.

We hope all the people are truthful, honest, loving and merciful as we hope they will be exposed to the Light of Allah The Source of all Goodness Blessed and Exalted be He.
Namaste saA,

There you have it, you've answered your own question, not so hard was it!

Jews and Christians are no different than Muslims in this regard.

A caveat, for myself and many others, we don't reject Islam or the Quran...for Muslims. It is appropriate for Muslims as the Torah is for the Jews and the Bible is for Christians and on and on.

Now to continue on this tract BB asked "what about ismailis and ahmadis?" and I'll add Sufis...do you reject or accept their beliefs?

"Why Judaism and Christianity reject Koran "

Since Judaic and Christian scriptures antedate Islam by hundreds of years, I don't see how these scriptures would tell us anything about how Jews and Christians should feel about Islam.

The OP question would seem to be absurd.

Back