Reputation system

T

Tao_Equus

The rep system does not allow you to rep someone again till you have repped 15 other people first!! That is just nuts. I hardly ever use it to be honest but sometimes there is an exceptional post I wish to applaud in a special way. The rep system should allow that. Can it not be reduced to 5 people or be linked to a timer (ie you can only rep someone once a day/week)? If there is obvious abuse it will be just that, obvious. Otherwise it just remains a feature that will never get used.

It's mainly to avoid abuse - the settings are at default, but I've seen forums where members have formed "rep groups" in order to rep each other repeatedly in order to have the highest reputation on the forum. Hence keeping at the default settings to minimise abuse. :)

It's mainly to avoid abuse - the settings are at default, but I've seen forums where members have formed "rep groups" in order to rep each other repeatedly in order to have the highest reputation on the forum. Hence keeping at the default settings to minimise abuse. :)

"abuse" of the rep system lol... who the hell takes the rep system that serious?

Exactly! Anyone that does act so childishly can be named and shamed so we can all have a good chuckle at them :p

The system is no good if I want to applaud a post by someone then 6 months later do the same but cannot. Better to risk abuse than to be unable to use it at all.

Tao,

Find some folk that haven't posted for a million years and rep them to get past your 15. :)

s.

What about auto-rep once a month just for giving out rep 15 or more times, you get one?

What about auto-rep once a month just for giving out rep 15 or more times, you get one?
Is that some sort of self replicating process?

I actually don't see such an issue on this forum regarding a rep clic. While it could occur, what issues would any of us have if someone had five little undeserving boxes? Would seem like a personal problem to me.

Unles too many green boxes affects a reprimand towards temp bans (ie I conspire to give myself fake rep so I can violate the CoC with abandon)

I don't see the issue.

I can also see where some folks round here are deserving of two or three reps in one sitting of reading thier posts. ie I get online after a long weekend and one of our incredibly thoughtful or wonderfully insightful or amazingly compassionate folks has just been participating admirably and is just deserving of multiple reps from a single source.

I've often been touched in this manner by some of the folks round here.

I can also see where some folks round here are deserving of two or three reps in one sitting of reading thier posts. ie I get online after a long weekend and one of our incredibly thoughtful or wonderfully insightful or amazingly compassionate folks has just been participating admirably and is just deserving of multiple reps from a single source.

This is the issue in its entirety for me. Its not a good system where I am forced to give rep where I do not want to just so I can when I do want to. Perhaps its best just to ignore the rep function altogether and to voice my applause on forum.

Snoopy, good idea ;) But a bit tedious.

Phyllis, maybe some would get cliquey... but like I said, if I see that I can have a good insight into the shallow nature of such individuals and thus be better able to judge their overall integrity.

Phyllis you are very, very blind if you cannot already see groups and divisions regardless of some silly little green boxes lol.

A rep system will not effect these groups.
Quite interesting...

I's blind as well. Now there are religious groupings, and philospical bunches...but I give rep based on a post that just resonates...not by who wrote it....and I've received Rep from yourself, Tao, Seattle, Path and pathless, Jamarz, Thomas, FaithfulServant, Brian and Luna...I've been at odds with many of these in discussion...heck oft times if the computer were a little more virtual I'd have to duck to avoid getting hit... I don't see these folks as in any kind of clique, other than io

Yup, I too have received rep from all corners and appreciated the sentiment enormously. (Though not for a few green pixels, id be happy for it to remain entirely annonymous.) I have not given much rep...as most of you will know :p If there were more of us and thus a faster flow of dialogue I might rep more rather than post but with the quantity of regular contributors active in your average week posting rep to 15 is just unworkable and makes the rep system meaningless.

I see cliques e.g. established members, spiritual universalists, the mystically inclined, rationalist adherents to institutional religion, those in it for teh lulz, anti-establishment folk and so on. There is overlap. I'm not sure, in any sizable group that maintains itself for an extended period of time, that cliques are avoidable.

I want to add, I don't think the cliques have a huge influence on the rep system, but there may be some influence.

Me too! This actually happens alot.. and sometimes I want to rep just because they made me laugh but stupid meaningless "LOL" posts are dumb.

I'm not sure, in any sizable group that maintains itself for an extended period of time, that cliques are avoidable.
A good point indeed. Sod the rep system. When I like a post I'll just say so.

I hardly ever look at my user thing. I just did and I got reps :D

I love you all!!!!

s.

God, I'm so shallow.

I use the reply method to show my approval / disapproval for posts.

Though I am thinking about using reps more often, so you don't have to read every wasteful thought floating through my brain.

Wil..... I am not speaking of rep... lol the fact remains there are little gangs it is clear as day man.....

Dauer.... I did it for teh lulz.....

FS.... what are "LOL" posts?

Snoop-doop-shoop-a-loop..... (Feels the buzz, feels the energy! The crowd is loving this young man right now and he's just giving it right back to them!!!!) You are as shallow as your pond of koi. Keep up the great work! Seriously, it's good.

Back