Reputation system

Am I the only one that uses negrep? My cunning plan has worked!! :rolleyes::D

I'll take care of them...next time they piss me off negative rep comin their way!

Ha,ha Wil, maybe some posters will end up with little red boxes instead :D .

I have used both neg and positive reps. but sometimes i do want to rep soemone again, but alas I am unable to do until i "spread it around".
I want 3 green boxes. I want 3 green boxes. I want 3 green boxes, acutally i want 4. LOL

Right now the moderation system stops watching new people after 10 or so posts. Would it be hard to script on further rewards based on post count, no bans, or keeping an active account ? Suppose if after 100 posts, days, goodness they got a shiny button or some extra search privileges (considered zero monetary value, of course)?
How about this? After 100 posts we could sort everyone into different Philosophy schools. (Like Harry Potter sorting hat) After 100 posts a you go to the hat sorting thread to find out whether you are Sophist, Pythagorean or what.
For reps the lower number is interesting. We could even do a rep gang, sort of pump it up to 5 bars for everybody. I could start super rep'ing everybody today, but first I will need 5 volunteers.
Hmm, might be interesting to compare this reputation-related behavior to this thread: http://www.interfaith.org/forum/jealousy-9770.html .

Well, I'm repping a lot of people tonight - seems there's an especially good quality of content and dialogue around the site at present.

If nothing else, I consider repping as like leaving little post-it notes to people, which aren't really worth posting in public because of their brevity, but remain a way for me to simply thank people for individual parts of their contribution.

Just to double check as well - I presume everyone can see who has left rep? I originally set it to anonymous, but a while back set it to show usernames, on the grounds that I think it's more important that private messages to one another not be left anonymous.

Darnit, now I want more rep...

Stupid visual confirmation of acceptance... brings out the worst in people. Kinda...

It is nice to see that your comments mean something to people, and which comments resonate the most, or even which are funny though.

I'll just have to work on keeping myself humble, and content with my humbleness... sigh... lol.

Oh, so that's what green boxes mean.:p earl
Reminds me of a Chan story. In Buddhism they speak of the 8 worldly winds-forces that cause us to be emotionally pulled this way and that due to self-ego noted in pairs of opposites such as praise and blame. One day a budding Buddhist wrote a poem which went something like this-" I sit serenely on the purple cushion while the 8 worldly winds blow about me" and presented it to his Chan master. The master picked up his pen and wrote fart across the poem to which the student reacted in angry horror. The Chan master chuckled and said that he claimed to be serene in the face of the worldly winds yet one fart and he dashes across the river like a rat. earl

Oh, so that's what green boxes mean.:p earl
Reminds me of a Chan story. In Buddhism they speak of the 8 worldly winds-forces that cause us to be emotionally pulled this way and that due to self-ego noted in pairs of opposites such as praise and blame. One day a budding Buddhist wrote a poem which went something like this-" I sit serenely on the purple cushion while the 8 worldly winds blow about me" and presented it to his Chan master. The master picked up his pen and wrote fart across the poem to which the student reacted in angry horror. The Chan master chuckled and said that he claimed to be serene in the face of the worldly winds yet one fart and he dashes across the river like a rat. earl
Hehehe!:D That's worth some positive rep!
http://www.interfaith.org/forum/zen-of-farting-11723.html

Stupid visual confirmation of acceptance... brings out the worst in people. Kinda...

From The Book of Chuang Tzu (trans. Palmer):

"Someone offered Chuang Tzu a court post. Chuang Tzu answered the messenger, 'Sir, have you ever seen a sacrificial ox? It is decked in fine garments and fed on fresh grass and beans. However, when it is led into the Great Temple, even though it most earnestly might wish to be a simple calf again, it's now impossible."

s.

Back