The life of Bread

GlorytoGod

There is a River
Reaction score
So we have had the bread of life, but what about the life of bread ?

mankind has been eating bread for a long time, and there are so many types of bread make in so many different ways, bread is great from field to table to tummy.

From the field to the table?? Lot of work in between there miss henny penny.

My fav is whole wheat soudough...what I love the best is just leaving the paste out for a few days until you get enough germs growing on it for starter...

I heard this fantastic story ...

In the old days, you made the bread (I'm not a cook, so go with me here), and you put it on the widow ledge to rise, and whilst it was 'finishing' as it were, it was absorbing the flora from the local microclimate, so that when it was done, you had not only bread, but you had a fine-tuned homeopathic treatment for all the local ills, as it were, as well as all the goodness ...

Thomas

What were the two most significant agricultural / food contributions of mankind ? Bread and wine.

The alcohol in wine prevented growth of bacteria so the wine lasted a long time before going bad. :)

The yeast interaction in bread is such a robust chemical process that it worked and allowed the bread to rise, through formation of carbon dioxide, even in the presence of many different complex reactant species and contaminants. And if you didn't have time to wait for the bread to rise, oh well, you have matzot !!

When I was little my mom used to make challah sometimes for shabbos. It wasn't like this store-bought bread. The crust was very thick! And you know, I'm not so sure it was preferable compared to store-bought challah. The inside was a bit dry. But boy, it made for some awesome french toast.

namaste Thomas...

I think there could be some truth in that... I use local honey so the allergies from local pollen don't affect me as much... tis a bread vaccine...

not to forget unleavened bread no yeast like chapatis gives me bad bloating :eek:

From the field to the table?? Lot of work in between there miss henny penny.

My fav is whole wheat soudough...what I love the best is just leaving the paste out for a few days until you get enough germs growing on it for starter...

how do you make that ?

Ah, the times I've made "stuffed rolls", starting with either whole wheat, French or Italian bread dough, then wrapping it around so many different kinds of filling (ranging from a savory fake chicken pot pie filling to a Peach Melba filling.) They are really helpful when one has to do a fasting blood draw or some other medical test where one has to fast.

Oh, and they're helpful when one goes to school, too. :eek:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I also like the heaver whole wheat type of bread. Do the wild starter breads have the same rise as the yeasted? Seems it takes a little more attention to making this type of bread work.
I'd like to share my 33 year old copy of tassajara bread book which is quite dogeared and lovingly well stained, but it can't be checked out of this home library. :D

bread on,
Joe

What were the two most significant agricultural / food contributions of mankind ? Bread and wine.

Nah, Beer and pretzels!:p

The alcohol in wine prevented growth of bacteria so the wine lasted a long time before going bad. :)

One of the problems with long term storage of wine was that it would turn to vinegar.
The Ancient Greeks added bitter herbs (such as pine resins - think Ouzo<sp?> ) to prevent this "turning" during shipment. The hops in beers and ales serve the same preservative function.

Yet the cycle is not yet complete for the next micro-biological interaction produces methane. So to save the environment drink all of the vinegar before it spoils and produces greenhouse gases.:D:D

Hmm? Beer Bread.

If a "beer" is made of wheat bread it may also be called "Hooch".

During the Yukon and Alaskan gold rush much supplies were needed for the mining camps. The wheat flour transported overland would, at times, be contaminated by snow. As this wetted flour was not salable as flour; more water was added, it was allowed to ferment and the resultant beverage was labled "hooch.":)

I also like the heaver whole wheat type of bread. Do the wild starter breads have the same rise as the yeasted? Seems it takes a little more attention to making this type of bread work.
I'd like to share my 33 year old copy of tassajara bread book which is quite dogeared and lovingly well stained, but it can't be checked out of this home library. :D

bread on,
Joe

It does takes a bit more attention to detail for the rise time of sourdough is effected by the temperature of the kitchen and coarser grained flours work quite well with a sourdough starter. Low or no salt breads are easy to make as are low fat breads. One of my favorites is a low fat, no salt, rye bread that, when toasted, is wonderfull with a thick slab of butter on it.

I just do not have much luck with making biscuits though. After a day one needs a chain saw to cut them with, either that or I paint them black and sell them to the hockey leagues as pucks:D.

So we have had the bread of life, but what about the life of bread ?

mankind has been eating bread for a long time, and there are so many types of bread make in so many different ways, bread is great from field to table to tummy.

Interestingly enough, and for some unknown reason, I am reminded of the legend of John Barleycorn by this post.

Blast! Now I have the music running through my head.

Back