Another Media "Star" Passed

But Plato and Aristotle were wrong, Mr. Pirsig said. Worse, the mind-body dualism, soldered into Western consciousness by the Greeks, fomented a kind of civil war of the mind — stripping rationality of its spiritual underpinnings and spirituality of its reason, and casting each into false conflict with the other.
Awesome quote!

Jonathan Demme passed away from cancer. He was 73.

He was mostly known as a director. A couple of his "lesser known" movies were The Manchurian Candidate, Silence of the Lambs, and Philadelphia.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Michael Parks passed away at the age of 77.

"Who?"

He was some unknown who was in films like Kill Bill (both 1 and 2), Django Unchained, Argo and several other little-known films. Heck, supposedly he was a favourite of Quentin Tarantino and several other directors.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Javier Valdez died earlier this week (or was it late last week?) He was shot more than ten times after being pulled from his auto in Mexico City. He was fifty years old, leaving behind his wife and two adult children.

"Who?"

He was a notable journalist whose beat was the Mexican drug cartels, especially in his hometown, and he started a newspaper there, too. His funeral was well attended by colleagues.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Chris Cornell passed away last night in Detroit at the age of 52 after a concert he performed in.

"Who?" you ask?

He was the lead singer for Soundgarden (I wonder if 17th Angel is/was familiar with Cornell's music...)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Sad indeed. Roger Moore was my favorite Bond. Also loved his role as Simon Templar in the 60's TV series, "The Saint". Oddly, one of the quotes attributed to him is...

"There is nothing glamorous about death."

Last edited:
Denis Johnson passed away at the age of 67.

"Who?" you ask.

He was a rather prolific author, winning two Pulitzer Prizes, one for Jesus' Son (which was made into a movie.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Zbigniew Brzezinski passed away (I know, I know; he wasn't a media star, but I feel that he needs a nod to his importance.) Most people might be more familiar with one of his former employers: Jimmy Carter. Yes, President Jimmy Carter.

Please move this posting if you think that it belongs elsewhere. :oops:

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Gregg Allman passed away at the age of 69.

"Who?" you ask?

One of the founding members of a little-known "classic rock" bands, The Allman Brothers Band.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Zbigniew Brzezinski passed away (I know, I know; he wasn't a media star, but I feel that he needs a nod to his importance.) Most people might be more familiar with one of his former employers: Jimmy Carter. Yes, President Jimmy Carter.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
This seems like the right spot. I hadn't heard about his passing. Thanks for posting.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine
I hadn't heard, but yes he was a rock star in the world he travelled in. Henry Kissinger would be another.

Manuel Noriega just passed away two months after brain surgery at the age of 83.

"Who?" you ask?

General Manuel Noriega, the Panamanian dictator who was overthrown with the assistance of the United States (American military under President Ronald Reagan) and spent much of his remaining time in one prison or another, finally ending up in a Panamanian hospital (brain cancer.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Back