Corona and you!

Discussion in 'Health' started by wil, May 2, 2020.

1. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

I see, India is waaaaay below at 5.17 deaths / million (7,135 deaths in 1,380 million). But new cases piling up, especially in Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai. Afraid to go out. Stopped by wife when going to the barber's shop.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    RJM Corbet likes this.
  2. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Math and science are hard...

Getting governments and people to realize their cumulative personal actions directly relate to covid, racial unrest, climate change, the presidency, etc. Seems hard to convey.

Aupmanyav likes this.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Look at Brazil ...

4. A Cup Of Tea

A Cup Of Tea An ordinary cup of tea

I'm surprised and slightly offended that none have mentioned Sweden in this thread! Here we are being all fast and loose with corona and we don't get any attention here at all! I'll be speaking with our PM about this!

Aupmanyav likes this.
  5. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Staff Member

How do you feel this herd mentality approach has been received on the ground there?

6. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Lol, in the states the right wing second amendment I have rights I ain't wearing a.mask or being confined to my home types have been pointing to Sweden as the holy grail...until if course it started hitting there.and then not so much.

7. RJM Corbet

RJM Corbet God Feeds the Ravens

5th in the world 460 deaths per million of population

8. A Cup Of Tea

Finally! Some attention!
    The typical Swede has great trust in the institutions in these sorts of things, both the political and the medical. I am also a typical Swede in this regard.
    Now, I won't go around and say that this strategy is the best option, I honestly have no idea what the best option is. What I think is noteworthy is that it has also been our chief medical advisor, Tegnell, that has been making the calls and presenting the situation to the press, which seems to be rare globally.
    And to clarify, it has never been about herd immunity, it was always about being able to hold out for a long time. And of course too many people have died, and there are things we should have done different, and things we should have been stricter with. But it was about achieving a balance, and it was never going to be perfect.

StevePame and RJM Corbet like this.
  9. StevePame

StevePame Administrator Staff Member

I appreciate you clarifying the reality vs herd mentality, as that is how I’ve heard and seen Sweden’s efforts described in media across the political spectrum in the US.

10. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Search, be your own guru.

I do check about Sweden once in a while. I think you have not done badly and you have saved your economy to some extent.
    In India, we started big on lock-downs, made mistakes, destroyed the economy, and did it help to keep the number of deaths low? I do not know. We are having an explosion of cases. 276,000 cases, 10,000 new, 336 deaths today (total 7,471). Of course, fail to understand why there are so many deaths in US, UK, Europe, Brazil, etc.

11. A Cup Of Tea

Hopefully we can learn a lot about this situation looking back at it, because it will happen again. I just hope it won't become a political issue that makes clear facts harder to pinpoint.

StevePame likes this.