What do you admire about another religion or world view?

So here's a proposal: Choose a religion (or world-view) that is not your own, and get really enthusiastic about something they do, have, believe in, ... whatever: something that is not part of your own tradition, and write a post about it here.

Thanks in advance. That would really light up my days.
I like the openness of thought in Reformed Christian practice and the (alas rather theoretical) comprehensiveness of Islam, but both is part of my own belief.

As for really foreign religions, I appreciate the scripture of Buddhism and Sikh, but most fascinating I find Jainism for its consequent respect for all living creature, as an example how humanity could live in harmony with nature, without exploitation and destruction

I like the Quakers, fine people in my experience. I enjoy and find value in their silent meetings too.

Here and there I have come across articles about Hinduism and I want to learn more. I read a little about Advaita Vedanta a while back. There is much to like there.

I have watched several videos about Sufism by Llewllyn Vaughan Lee. He is a superb ambassador for his faith IMO. Add my fondness for Sufi poetry to the mix and you have some real admiration.

I like the openness of thought in Reformed Christian practice and the (alas rather theoretical) comprehensiveness of Islam, but both is part of my own belief.

As for really foreign religions, I appreciate the scripture of Buddhism and Sikh, but most fascinating I find Jainism for its consequent respect for all living creature, as an example how humanity could live in harmony with nature, without exploitation and destruction
I had forgotten earlier when I replied, that I admire the Sikh religion as well.
I was intrigued when I first learned of it that it was a monotheistic religion while also having a doctrine of reincarnation, which, at the time, I thought unusual.
I found it interesting that they had a series of Gurus, and that ended, it is their scripture which is now in that place.

Dude, the concept of the thread is saying what YOU admire about other religions...if it is nothing crickets are appropriate in this interfaith discussion....not deriding what others like about other religions...but you knew that.
What I mean is that religions do not have any universal message, only that one must worship their God or prophet/son of God/messenger/manifestation/mahdi. Loving your brother or valuing your family are social messages common to all societies.

What I mean is that religions do not have any universal message, only that one must worship their God or prophet/son of God/messenger/manifestation/mahdi. Loving your brother or valuing your family are social messages common to all societies.
Seems you are contradicting yourself. Loving your brother/neighbour and valuing your family/parents are also common messages to all religions. In my understanding, religion and prophecy are teachings to guide people to a senseful behaviour in this world. Worship is more an exercise for us humans, rather than a necessity for God. I know that you are a convinced atheist, so you may translate "God" into "The principal coherence of the universe", downscaled, "the coherence on our earth", again downscaled, "the coherence of our society".

I think that the common teachings of all religions, the common messages to all societies, are indeed the most important ones.

Last edited:
I guess I could say that I admire heterodox versions of Christianity. I don't like everything about all of them and some are cultish. But I like the departure from the mainstream and their conviction that it is the truth. It didn't occur to me to post this before as it is not definitively "another" faith - I'm kind of one foot in one foot out of heterodox Christianity.

Also, completely in contrast to that, I admire AngloCatholic Anglicans, for reasons I cannot altogether articulate (yet).

I admire Bahai. I admire Noahides which go hand in hand with admiration for Judaism and for some a path to conversion.
I don't know if I exactly admire Mormonism, but I find it fascinating.

I think that the common teachings of all religions, the common messages to all societies, are indeed the most important ones.
Yes, I am a 'kafir' to many in my own religion (not to all of them) :). I have no reason to thank religions for what was already there is societies.

Yes, I am a 'kafir' to many in my own religion (not to all of them) :). I have no reason to thank religions for what was already there is societies.
I have questions if you don't mind me asking? I'm genuinely curious as to what your beliefs are and what you have faith in? I see you post a lot that you are an atheist.

I have questions if you don't mind me asking? I'm genuinely curious as to what your beliefs are and what you have faith in? I see you post a lot that you are an atheist.
Not at all. What I believe is a strain of Advaita Hinduism (non-duality). All that exists in the universe is composed of only one entity, and science says that at the time of 'inflation' (BB Theory) what existed was 'physical energy'. Combine the two and you get my view. No God necessary or possible.

Not at all. What I believe is a strain of Advaita Hinduism (non-duality). All that exists in the universe is composed of only one entity, and science says that at the time of 'inflation' (BB Theory) what existed was 'physical energy'. Combine the two and you get my view. No God necessary or possible.
Thank you for this information. As I am ignorant I will do some reading!

Reactions: wil
Wouldn't you say I am as well?

Btw, loving the recent responses.
The term is often translated as "infidel", "pagan", "rejector", "denier", "disbeliever", "unbeliever", "nonbeliever", and "non-Muslim". The term is used in different ways in the Quran, with the most fundamental sense being "ungrateful" (toward God).

It sounds insulting or at least could be used as an insult.

As I've grown older and wiser I hope.. God has really shown me His Grace. He is allowing me to see people as He loves and sees people. All the good bad and ugly. People are beautiful in all their imperfections. His Grace is sufficient.

Back