What's meant by the Tower of Babel?

Jehovah God had expressed his purpose when he commanded the first human couple to “be fruitful and become many and fill the earth.” (Genesis 1:28) This was repeated to Noah and his sons after the Flood. God instructed them: “As for you men, be fruitful and become many, make the earth swarm with you and become many in it.” (Genesis 9:7) In opposition to Jehovah’s direction, the people built a city so that they would not “be scattered over all the surface of the earth.”.......................... opposition to God is not good :(

Nimrod—An Insolent Rebel
Nimrod—an opposer of God, a king of Babel, and a constructor of cities—undoubtedly shared in building the tower of Babel.

The Tower of Babel is language itself, our description of existence.

There was a time when we all understood each other, we were united in our thoughts and deeds. We were connected to the infinite source because we knew its true identity. Words were unnecessary. We simply existed in peace and harmony with the infinite source because we too were as much a part of existence as everything else. Understanding all that we experienced without having to describe it to anyone because everyone experienced the same thing. We were one with it all and we knew it.

The tower of Babel began when collectively we all decided to create something in honor of the infinite source. The more we thought about it the more grandiloquent our creation became. Eventually a temple of words materialized just to describe our universe. Sadly, we realized too late that to truly honor the infinite source all that is necessary is to simply accept it as it is, and that the only temple fit for infinity, was infinity itself. All of these words (of our own creation) to honor the infinite source, had obscured our understanding of the true identity of existence and of ourselves to the point where we began to disagree over the name of the infinite source itself.

Our words divided us and with separation came fear. Eventually hatred and wars began because of this lost connection with each other and the infinite source. Frustrated and unable to connect with each other we scattered over the face of the Earth to build our own temples in honor of God (add whatever name you prefer here). The tower of Babel is the language we created to describe the human experience. It seems that we are lost in a cosmic library. With each new generation our description of ourselves and existence gets deeper and wordier. All the while we wonder why we are so alone in this vast universe.

We still don’t understand each other. We carry on conversations with each other, still, we don’t understand each other. People say, I understand what you mean but you don’t understand me. We are all babbling at each other.

The Tower of Babble is an agglomerated structure of our own design.

It is possible to accept the infinite as it is, and so know its true Identity, but words get in the way when we try to describe it.

One by one we must journey inside ourselves to unlock the door of our own 'temple of words' and let the infinite source of love and compassion in to wash away our fears and to leave in its place the true knowledge and understanding of who and what we are.

The tower still stands.
As it is within, so it is without.
-G

The Tower of Babel is language itself, our description of existence.

There was a time when we all understood each other, we were united in our thoughts and deeds. .....
One by one we must journey inside ourselves to unlock the door of our own 'temple of words' and let the infinite source of love and compassion in to wash away our fears and to leave in its place the true knowledge and understanding of who and what we are.

The tower still stands.
As it is within, so it is without.
-G

yes welcome bruno - your first posting and what a powerful and thoughtful one .... one by one we are starting that very journey inward and the path of the ancient one's will rise from the mist of our minds .... we walk many paths but when we reach the mountaintop (our own head and mind in the inward journey) we will all see the same moon ....we are the tree of life, the tower of babel, the buddah .... different words all trying to describe the same source .... he hawai'i au, pohaikawahine

Hi Bruno...welcome to CR. I agree with much of what you say. The "tower" is a collective symbolic representation of the human state of confusion, which is the literal translation of "babel". It denotes lack of mutual understanding which is the primary cause of all conflict.

All around us today we can clearly discern those who strive to promote misunderstanding, deceit, and conflict. We are also able to, every once in a while, discern the very few who strive towards the ancient reunification of the human spirit which existed in the "garden" times.

A most excellent and auspicious beginning for you here.

flow....;)

Hi Bruno...welcome to CR. I agree with much of what you say. The "tower" is a collective symbolic representation of the human state of confusion, which is the literal translation of "babel". It denotes lack of mutual understanding which is the primary cause of all conflict.

All around us today we can clearly discern those who strive to promote misunderstanding, deceit, and conflict. We are also able to, every once in a while, discern the very few who strive towards the ancient reunification of the human spirit which existed in the "garden" times.

A most excellent and auspicious beginning for you here.

flow....;)

Has nothing to do with understanding at all. It has to do with self at the expense of others. "Io solo" supercedes "E pluribus Unum". There is no other way around it. Up to a point, man used to be able (I believe) of maintaining a prolonged collective mind set. Then at some point, that ability was removed or diminished significantly, leaving us to our own devices and desires as dominant thinking. There is your "tower" of Babel.

v/r

Q

Sorry Q...But understanding has everything to do with it.

Without the individual accomplishments of those who have striven mightily to understand the universe around them and then communicate all of that to others, we'd all still be making mud bricks and building pyramids for Pharaohs.

Come to think of it, some of us still are, but in different contexts. A well thought-out simplified rationalization though.

flow....:rolleyes:

Sorry Q...But understanding has everything to do with it.

Without the individual accomplishments of those who have striven mightily to understand the universe around them and then communicate all of that to others, we'd all still be making mud bricks and building pyramids for Pharaohs.

Come to think of it, some of us still are, but in different contexts. A well thought-out simplified rationalization though.

I understand you perfectly Flow.

It still doesn't matter, since what I said makes absolutely no difference to you...now do you get my point? You have a preconceived notion of me, so what I say is irrelevant. I get defensive when I perceive that and then what you say is irrelevant. Io solo...

Q...I have no preconceived notions Q and I try to live each day truthfully and honestly "in the moment". Your attempted projections of "ego" issues upon me and my behaviors, and of those of the world at large, are really only reflections of your personal "world view". So be it.

Yes, I believe that we understand each other all too well.

flow....;)

I try to live each day truthfully and honestly "in the moment". Your attempted projections of "ego" issues upon me and my behaviors, and of those of the world at large, are really only reflections of your personal "world view". So be it.

Yes, I believe that we understand each other all too well.

flow....;)
I don't. I know that "in the moment" is fleeting, so I secure foot holds that will keep me from being blown from the rock face of life during a hurricane (which happens often in this world). My "ego" is not an issue to me, as much as it seems to be for the likes of you and others like you.

I understand orders. I carry them out. I give orders, and expect they will be carried out. When this does not happen, then there is a problem. It has nothing to do with "language" since I can give or receive orders and act on them, in several languages (there goes your Babel language confoundation concept). What you state is that you wish to do as you please... and that is not as life, persee, works. That is the "Tower of Babel". Man went from a collective whole, to individual desires over-riding the collective good. And it seemed to happen almost overnight. And you can not explain why. This is secular history though the tower is not mentioned...the transition is.

You do not understand me at all.

v/r

Q

I understand orders. I carry them out. I give orders, and expect they will be carried out. When this does not happen, then there is a problem. ..

...What you state is that you wish to do as you please... and that is not as life, persee, works.
Namaste Q, and beg do differ with you bro!

Flow and I and millions of others can choose to live in the moment or in the flow.. you've chose a different path.

Bark all the orders you wish, outside of your platoon, brigade, or choice of service it falls on deaf ears, I neither take your orders nor give you any, no chain of command out here in our world. We do do as we please.

Those who answer the call and take the oath chose your way, we dance to a different drummer. (now yes, no need to prattle or babel on, we know you keep us safe, we've heard the monologue before, and we on the other hand pay the taxes that ends up in your paycheck, it is a trade we've both agreed to perform)

Flow and I and millions of others can choose to live in the moment or in the flow.. you've chose a different path.

Bark all the orders you wish, outside of your platoon, brigade, or choice of service it falls on deaf ears, I neither take your orders nor give you any, no chain of command out here in our world. We do do as we please.

Those who answer the call and take the oath chose your way, we dance to a different drummer. (now yes, no need to prattle or babel on, we know you keep us safe, we've heard the monologue before, and we on the other hand pay the taxes that ends up in your paycheck, it is a trade we've both agreed to perform)

Granted. But there are consequences for every action...Wil. Must be ready to accept the responsibility for such actions (that too is freedom). In the Babel story, man aspired to build a tower to the heavens, but was unwilling to accept the responsibility for their actions (which meant, reaching heaven). and God said NO. And that was it.

Been that way ever since...

At the risk of being associated with the late great Rush Limbaugh, I'll say "ditto". BTW he was born and raised in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. That's the home of the world's tallest television transmitting tower, and also where the first UFO crash took place in 1941. There's a relationship there somewhere folks.

No Q, I do understand. I do know what you don't know, and I even know a lot of what you know. Unless of course what I know is unknown, and in that case we're dealing with what is unknowable to us both. Sounds like something that a former boss of yours once said.

At the risk of being associated with the late great Rush Limbaugh, I'll say "ditto". BTW he was born and raised in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. That's the home of the world's tallest television transmitting tower, and also where the first UFO crash took place in 1941. There's a relationship there somewhere folks.

No Q, I do understand. I do know what you don't know, and I even know a lot of what you know. Unless of course what I know is unknown, and in that case we're dealing with what is unknowable to us both. Sounds like something that a former boss of yours once said.

I don't think I'd bet on your winning Jeopardy...

Flow....... your last post really was babble(to me) you know , unknown, and unkno;wable. aaaaaaargh. I tried reading the original post but it was too long. I dont have a long attention span, i guess. LOL. I always thought that the tower of babel was a story told to us (as kids in sunday school) to aspire to be good and godly but dont get too big headed or it will all come tumbling down. Well, that was the simplified version that I remember.

Wil.....and Flow..... be nice to Q you might need him one day (motherly intervention again.... sorry cant help it. )

Hi Grey...You needn't get in the middle of our stuff. It's not necessary. This sort of thing has been going on here for some time, you know liberal/progressive vs, orthodox /conservative.

It is pretty much unresolvable and I'm perfectly willing to pass it all by and/or laugh it all off, but others think that their role in life is to fight everything out to some ultimate outcome. All that causes is destruction in the long run. I don't wish to be any part of that way of looking at reality, so I just pass some people by also. In terms of what I believe regarding spiritual things, that always trumps might and power, you know, turn the other cheek, etc.

Life would be boring if we were all the same. Thank G-d for that, but it's difficult for me, at least, to stay in one place and be demeaned. I have a choice to avoid that and I choose to do so much of the time. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back