The Power of Words

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will always teach me.
ah yes, that is the true nature of the power of words.

Once you learn what affect you can have on others by your words, and the responsibility that contains, you also learn that you also have the power within to not absorb the words of others....spread the power.

I just posted this on another thread, perhaps I should have said it here instead...., oh I just did...

I have a different take on the matter.....

As we seek the source, the meaning, the essence of existence, we foolishly attempt to describe what we discover and therein lies the problem.

Words…

The infinite source of everything needs no human contrived words to exist.

Describing experience is a slipery slope. Once the human conversation began it was all downhill from there... the only way out of this black hole is to be re-absorbed back into the infinite source...

When two galaxies collide in the vacuum of space does it make a sound? Does anyone hear? Does anyone care? Does it matter? Is this a beautiful thing or a catastrophe?

Words have screwed up everything…

If you experience something amazing it is best to keep it to yourself….

in the beginning was the word..... God spoke for the first time; " Shut up you ignorant fool! but it was to late.... God was speaking to himself and you know what they say about those who speak to themselves....Crazy
existance is the insane ramblings of the one infinite thing existing.
~Bruno

I think this came up in one or another discussion of the Jewish prohibition against graven images as it relates to rendering God's name, but I remember, originally, from my kabbalah perusal/study, the idea that the ability to name something implies mastery of it. I was thinking that mastery of a thing implies the ability to name it according to its exact function rather than according to the accumulated convention of it's semantical value. The real name of something, in that sense, would be an exact description of its intrinsic function without regard for, or recourse to colloquialism.

Chris

ah yes, that is the true nature of the power of words.

Once you learn what affect you can have on others by your words, and the responsibility that contains, you also learn that you also have the power within to not absorb the words of others....spread the power.
The strength of this truth is only in proportion to how much someone matters to you.

I think this came up in one or another discussion of the Jewish prohibition against graven images as it relates to rendering God's name, but I remember, originally, from my kabbalah perusal/study, the idea that the ability to name something implies mastery of it. I was thinking that mastery of a thing implies the ability to name it according to its exact function rather than according to the accumulated convention of it's semantical value. The real name of something, in that sense, would be an exact description of its intrinsic function without regard for, or recourse to colloquialism.

Chris
I know my Dad's name. I don't call him by it... :eek:

I call all that are close and have my respect by the name they were given.... To me titles and so on and so forth.... Lord Sir Oscar Mcooolookatme OBE, MBC, DR. Puhleeze... Throw me a life saver I am drowning in dull formality which lacks connection and personality and character....

It's like handshake or hug? Handshake or hug? Handshake? Hug? Hug :D

Q brah, first names are for friends? I was thinking over this whislt my late evening reflection and reading of currently the bible....

Q one thing I would love to say to you, just some food for thought... You believe Jesus is God? What does John 15:15 tell us?

And whilst on that topic and looking to the power of words.... Proverbs 17:17 (excuse the irony..;))

does your God Love you brother?

As in how much of your power you have given over to them?
No wil. As in as you believe, so it shall be. That is a powerful statement that Christ has revealed to us. You, me (Everyone), has to give over no power to any other. That is a choice, not a mandate.

I watched a state trooper field an accident between two vehicles (and people), the loudest complainer turned the trooper off with his ranting and raving. But the second party simply said "I followed the rules, yet the accident occured, now what do I do to fix this?"

The trooper quietly instructed the second party on how to "fix" the problem...
Now the judge might not agree, and the second party might have been seen as guilty, but the trooper went out of his way to explain just how to possibly eleviate the problem and walk away without a conviction, or at least, a reduced violation.

All because of the power of words, whether low and simple, or high and mighty. Words affect people.

No wil. As in as you believe, so it shall be.

All because of the power of words, whether low and simple, or high and mighty. Words affect people.
I agree completely Q. But they only affect me if I choose to let them. The trooper did not allow the ranting and raving to affect him.

I may give my power to my parents or a friend and allow them inside my world and then their words affect me. But I make that choice, as you indicated. I'm not seeing where we disagree.

But on the same token, not everyone is aware of this, so it is on me to use my words judiciously so as to affect others beneficially.

Each encounter we make we do something, we'll either leave someone feeling a little better or a little worse, with a little more self esteem or little pissed off, a little higher in consciousness or ready to bark at the next person that comes along... they are in our care, it is upto us.

I agree completely Q. But they only affect me if I choose to let them. The trooper did not allow the ranting and raving to affect him.

I may give my power to my parents or a friend and allow them inside my world and then their words affect me. But I make that choice, as you indicated. I'm not seeing where we disagree.

But on the same token, not everyone is aware of this, so it is on me to use my words judiciously so as to affect others beneficially.

Each encounter we make we do something, we'll either leave someone feeling a little better or a little worse, with a little more self esteem or little pissed off, a little higher in consciousness or ready to bark at the next person that comes along... they are in our care, it is upto us.
What comes from the mouth wil, comes from the heart and mind. That is energy that can not be taken back. Words affect everyone at any time.

Perfect example: President Bush makes a statement in Israel about not negotiating with terrorists, unlike some people think can be done...Senator Obama reads that as a personal affront, but more importantly, those words of the president set the whole world to consider Senator Obama's stance on things. Why? Senator Obama has stated in the past that he thinks terrorists can be reasoned with.

The power of words...

What comes from the mouth wil, comes from the heart and mind. That is energy that can not be taken back. Words affect everyone at any time.

Perfect example: President Bush makes a statement in Israel about not negotiating with terrorists, unlike some people think can be done...Senator Obama reads that as a personal affront, but more importantly, those words of the president set the whole world to consider Senator Obama's stance on things. Why? Senator Obama has stated in the past that he thinks terrorists can be reasoned with.

The power of words...
So does his Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State think he'll fire them? And former President both in office and out have had success by opening dialogue instead of bomb bays. It was an afront on Obama, he mentioned a Senator who wanted to negotiate with Hitler..it was pointed, he was busted, he denied, no worries he's done that before.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Choice Q, did you miss that on the playground? How about this? I'm rubber and your glue it bounces off me and sticks to you. Or, You meant it for evil, but G!d meant it for good, a Sunday school lesson. No you can't take it back, negative words and attitudes against others will affect the speaker for the rest of their lives, the receiver has a choice.

So does his Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State think he'll fire them? And former President both in office and out have had success by opening dialogue instead of bomb bays. It was an afront on Obama, he mentioned a Senator who wanted to negotiate with Hitler..it was pointed, he was busted, he denied, no worries he's done that before.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Choice Q, did you miss that on the playground? How about this? I'm rubber and your glue it bounces off me and sticks to you. Or, You meant it for evil, but G!d meant it for good, a Sunday school lesson. No you can't take it back, negative words and attitudes against others will affect the speaker for the rest of their lives, the receiver has a choice.
I know this. I can cut to the quick with my "words". And I do not have to know who I am attacking, personally. My being here on CR has taught me to hold back, and count to ten, before letting loose a barrage of steel pellets. I know I have angered you in the past, before you could get control of your own emotions, and know you have done the same to me...

which I regret.

the power of words...(fast as lightening, and just as deadly)

I know this. I can cut to the quick with my "words". And I do not have to know who I am attacking, personally.
Oh my haven't we all? Haven't we let loose a torrent cause someone pushed our buttons (despite the fact that they are our buttons) it didn't even have anything to do with them, we were pissed about something else, and we let them have it because they were there and said something.

No one should talk to anyone while they are working on a car. Between the grease, the busted knuckles, and trying to get that transmission bolted back up, she could come to the door dressed in saran wrap and ask if I wanted ice in my scotch and I'd snap. I'm glad those days are gone, too bad she left before I learned!

Being in construction I live in a world where many folks think demeaning someone is a method of motivation, but you being in the uniformed service, I've got nothing on your education in this regard.

Oh my haven't we all? Haven't we let loose a torrent cause someone pushed our buttons (despite the fact that they are our buttons) it didn't even have anything to do with them, we were pissed about something else, and we let them have it because they were there and said something.

No one should talk to anyone while they are working on a car. Between the grease, the busted knuckles, and trying to get that transmission bolted back up, she could come to the door dressed in saran wrap and ask if I wanted ice in my scotch and I'd snap. I'm glad those days are gone, too bad she left before I learned!

Being in construction I live in a world where many folks think demeaning someone is a method of motivation, but you being in the uniformed service, I've got nothing on your education in this regard.
The addage is "I care for you, NOW GET MOVING". It works because is is real, and they believe it, and I believe it.

There is a difference between belittling, and motivating with forceful words. I care about my people and they know it...but that does not give me the right to use language inappropriate to the audience I am addressing, regardless of my good intentions. Everything in its place...and understand the language of the individual being addressed...

words are powerful, as are actions, equally words unspoken and inaction are equally powerful.
fortunately we have forgiveness and forgetfulness to break the eternal bond they would hold.

Jesus said to them, “You are still no more intelligent than the others. 17 Don't you understand? Anything that goes into your mouth goes into your stomach and then on out of your body. 18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these are the things that make you ritually unclean.

Back