Christianity Brew Ha Ha

I can see your point, earl, but does Belief & Spirituality along with Comparative Studies not cover the area where those from Abrahamic traditions can willingly participate in peaceful dialogue along mystic lines with other philosophies and beliefs? I like the thought of a "mystic" board, but I tend to agree with lunamoth that any tradition which calls itself "Christian" should be listed under the Abrahamic. Otherwise, then what Silas has been asking, basically, "Why do Liberals call themselves Christians--why don't they just go ahead and call themselves something else?" becomes a valid point. See what I mean?

I think (and this may upset some folks, but I don't mean to) that the great lengths gone to in order to accomodate basically one person, namely Ruby, has led to the misplacement of the Lib Board. Not that Ruby didn't have some great questions, and I am grateful to her and wil and others for making the Lib corner happen. But she wanted to come in here and make the rules to satisfy herself. And I see the same thing happening with Silas.

People complain about Mee (that's 2 e's) alot. But all I see from him is patience, grace, and steadfastness. I may not agree with everything he says, but he doesn't force it on anyone. He just posts. And when he does anything other than post Scripture, he explains that his views are from the Jehovah's Witness tradition. I find him very forthcoming, actually.

InPeace,
InLove

Oh I don't mind how discussion zones are set up. My only concern is whether those folks in the "Christian" zone are even going to be willing to dialogue with folks like wil, or Nick, or me (even you InLove as you seem a tad heretical lately young lady;):D ) or whether we'll be asked to "take it outside." earl

LOL, earl--a tad?? If I don't watch it, I may lose my head! Do I smell smoke? :eek: :D

One more "thang" while I have the soapbox. I would like to express my appreciation for the patience that our Catholic contributors have extended lately, particularly considering the derogatory remarks that have been making the rounds. (And I appreciate the conversation going on right now between Faithfulservant and Quahom. I hope it remains peaceful, because now I am learning something. Thanks, guys.)

I got a reunion to attend. Catch y'all later. Hope I haven't been too annoying.

InPeace,
InLove

Oh I don't mind how discussion zones are set up. My only concern is whether those folks in the "Christian" zone are even going to be willing to dialogue with folks like wil, or Nick, or me (even you InLove as you seem a tad heretical lately young lady;):D ) or whether we'll be asked to "take it outside." earl
Well dont see where that should even be a question.
I am generally considered one of the "hard line" christians in there and I have had quite a bit of dialogue with Wil and Luna, In love even China.
Now yes I have also been known to be a little short at times and there are some subjects I can not quite hold my tongue on but thats usually cause I have alot more experience with what is being discussed.

Hi earl, I see your point. InLove has actually said very nicely what I have long thought about the lib board. I think these conversations could be accomodated on the main Christianity board, or Comparative (if the topic addresses Christianity in relationship to other religions) or Belief & Spirituality (if the topic is really more about free-thinking or personal/esoteric Christian spirituality rather than theology or Christian 'culture.') If we can accomodate JW and presumably LDS on the main board, I don't see why anything deemed 'liberal' could not be accomodated a well.

Sorry for being blunt before but my patience has been wearing thin lately. Time for me to take a break I guess. :p

luna

Wil is easy, he's from Maryland. You're easy, you're not.

InLove is well "inlove", and Nick is on wings (in a holding pattern). ;)

v/r

Joshua

Well dont see where that should even be a question.
I am generally considered one of the "hard line" christians in there and I have had quite a bit of dialogue with Wil and Luna, In love even China.
Now yes I have also been known to be a little short at times and there are some subjects I can not quite hold my tongue on but thats usually cause I have alot more experience with what is being discussed.
gotta learn to laugh, even at self...:p :p :p :mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Kindest Regards.

My two cents:
But playing nice with each other is the biggest starting point.:)

Earl hit the nail on the head. I personally don't care how the boards are set up or utilized, besides the fact that conversations naturally drift from their starting points, often into completely unrelated realms.

But...cannot emphasize enough...if we as civilized humans cannot treat each other with a modicum of respect, then why do we even bother? China Cat is right to a point, respect is earned, above that due any human just for drawing breath. Yes, a religious man or a righteous man or a scholarly man or a military man may well earn inordinate respect above and beyond, but even a lowly horse thief, ax murderer, leper or vegetable is entitled to a modicum of respect by virtue of being human.

We tend to lose sight of this by getting caught up in our own prejudices (there's us being judgmental again!).

It all boils down to manners: I thought civilized people were supposed to have them.

It is the barbaric, uncouth and uncivilized who resort to anything less to settle differences.

I believe that we all must formally recognize the dichotomy within Christianity that has been growing since the 60's. Most recently our Episcopal brothers and sisters have been showing it to us. It's here also and part of that discouraging reality that reflects the increasingly fragmented world out there is also taking place here to an extent. The intolerance exhibitied here by a few people from time to time is really a microcosm of universal forces working to divide us. Think of it all as entropy.

I'll quote what a friend and onetime pastor once said to me. "Right now you can only see a huge steaming pile of horse manure in front of you, but somewhere in that pile is a beautifu lhorse. Your job is to find it and ride away on it on a new road."

flow....;)

Kindest Regards, Flow!

I believe that we all must formally recognize the dichotomy within Christianity that has been growing since the 60's.

Not to seem flippant, but we did "formally recognize the dichotomy within Christianity." That's why we formally have the Liberal and Mainstream boards. And because this dichotomy is formally recognized, it seems the source of strife for those who wish to make it so. Just as before the Lib board was created, liberal issues were a source of strife for those who wished to make them so. I sense the matter is not in the polemics as much as in what issues we choose to "vilify" as a source of strife. If only we would choose to leave strife alone.

Think of it all as entropy.

I'll quote what a friend and onetime pastor once said to me. "Right now you can only see a huge steaming pile of horse manure in front of you, but somewhere in that pile is a beautifu lhorse. Your job is to find it and ride away on it on a new road."
This is really cool...I don't get it. :confused:

juantoo3 said:
This is really cool...I don't get it. :confused:

If I may...and correct me, flow, if I have misinterpreted....

I think what it means is that if we concentrate on things that are good and beautiful, kind of like you said, juan--if we can look past some of what we see as "ugly", then we can come away with something in which to find some degree of unity. Truth can be found in Life as well as death, so having acknowledged death, then I say it is good to concentrate on Life. That's kind of what I get from it, anyway. And I think I'm getting into stuff that probably doesn't belong on the Feedback board, but maybe it addresses at least a part of what has been happening on the Christian forums lately. :)

InPeace,
InLove

It all boils down to manners: I thought civilized people were supposed to have them.

It is the barbaric, uncouth and uncivilized who resort to anything less to settle differences.
hmmm....so if you settle differences in any way other than civilized discussion and negotiation you are barbaric and uncouth??

Exactly which country/gov't does this leave out?

Thanks InLove, Juan...

To me it meant that the reality that I had lived for a while was being destroyed, but for a purpose. That purpose was hidden from me and when it was made evident I would understand what to do with it. It was, it was, and I did...and I arrived in the future with a new focus and purpose.

My analogy to Christianity is purposeful. You're right Juan, if we focus on the conflict there will only be more and the destructions more certain. Is that what G-d wants do you think ?

IMHO, Christianity is being torn apart before our eyes by those who insist upon preserving it all ( as it is literally presented to us by orthodoxy and conservatism ) at any cost. Is that a right thing to do? Is it against the way that natural systems work in our reality ? Should the beautiful skeletal structure of the realities of Christianity be stripped of the rotting flesh of its internal conflicts and be built upon again to fit our needs in the future ?

Don't know, but answers are being revealed to societies every day. Somebody needs to recognize them and do some building, and it surely appears that the Falwells and Robertsons of the world shouldn't be doing so much of it. Apathy and ignorance are the real enemies to progress in this endeavor, and both are being fondly embraced by the status quo even though that would be denied virgorously by their media mouthpieces

flow....:rolleyes:

Kindest Regards, wil!
hmmm....so if you settle differences in any way other than civilized discussion and negotiation you are barbaric and uncouth??

Exactly which country/gov't does this leave out?

Ouch! The irony is not lost on me. Nevertheless, CR is not a government. Even acting in the position of mod, no single one is a government unto themselves. Brian was wise in that much.

I like Silas. His point of view is real. I'm not saying that's all there is to Christianity, I'm just saying that it represents a real life thing. Yeah, he's intollerant. Yeah, he doesn't listen. Yeah he's one-track, but he POSTS. He stirs things up. What do you all want? A dead little friendly coffee clutch board, or a dynamic, contentious, rockin' and rollin' with the punches board? Because that's what attracts posters, or not. People want to argue. That's what keeps things poppin'. If I agree with you I'll just let you say it for both of us, but if I disagree I'll feel compelled to POST. That's the crux of the biscuit. And anyone who's too much of a puss to stand behind what they post and take the heat doesn't deserve any respect. All we're doing is typing words. Nobody is actually gonna get their ass beat. So why all the fuss about protecting anyone's precious feelings? Let it roll, I say.

And I'm not advocating a free for all, either. People who like to fight will fight. That's honest. People who like to fellowship will fellowship. That's also honest. Everyone knows what kind they are: fighter or peacemaker. Let's let the fighters take off their gloves and get honest. Let's see who's got the best stuff. I'm sick and tired of this fakey "let's all get along" crap. That ain't respect.

Chris

The proper use of a "flame pit" is where you go to practice "liberation through mutual exorcism," imo. It is also known as "purification through fire."

Exorcisms can be ugly, but they can also be beneficial. It takes a strong person to recognize and relish this, and not everyone can handle it. Playing with fire can be dangerous, and one must recognize this. Having a designated area for this practice makes great sense, in order to keep any out-of control flames contained, so it won't spread to other areas. This safety feature must also be acknowledged and respected by those who participate in "liberation through mutual exorcism."

This was likely a result of those wishing to subconsciously practice "liberation through mutual exorcism," imo. It made for an unsafe environment for the less strong. The walled garden approach is supposed to serve as a safeguard against this sort of thing. The problem is, there is no walled garden for "liberation through mutual exorcism."

Kindest Regards.

My two cents:

Earl hit the nail on the head. I personally don't care how the boards are set up or utilized, besides the fact that conversations naturally drift from their starting points, often into completely unrelated realms.

But...cannot emphasize enough...if we as civilized humans cannot treat each other with a modicum of respect, then why do we even bother? China Cat is right to a point, respect is earned, above that due any human just for drawing breath. Yes, a religious man or a righteous man or a scholarly man or a military man may well earn inordinate respect above and beyond, but even a lowly horse thief, ax murderer, leper or vegetable is entitled to a modicum of respect by virtue of being human.

We tend to lose sight of this by getting caught up in our own prejudices (there's us being judgmental again!).

A lot of very good points made.

Back