Bruce Michael

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

As the scientific evidence for homeopathy mounts,
folks like James Randii are left all at sea:

Randii in trouble again- will he ever pay up?:

The oat test- growing seeds in various solutions with amazing results:

-Br.Bruce

Homeopathy does work in theory for sure especially with the law of minium.. It’s just practical that’s a bit inconsistent with homeopathy, as it has superstitions involving it. Hypocrites was on to something for sure.

I'd choose mainstream medicine over homeopathy anytime. Homeopathists will try to sell you "we cure the cause and not the symptoms" however it's a grey art and some homeopathists expect you to believe you will cure as part of the process. There might only be afew good homeopathists out there that work from sheer intuition and can get results. Definitely something that will develop though, once we understand the true nature of homeopathy and how to use it effectively.

I waited about 9 months to get an appointment at Glasgow Homeopathic hospital, the onkly such NHS funded one in Scotland. Was for a minor irritation rather than a medical imperative but I walked out of there very dissapointed and threw the vial of liquid straight in the bin. Why? Well the told me I must stop drinking coffee!! Can you believe it!! Now I can stop smoking, give up chocolate, even embrace the 'abstinence' of a monk... but give up coffee!! What an utterly ridiculous thing to ask me to do. Might as well ask me to knaw off my foot.

TE

In my view there is nothing wrong with caffeine and it shouldn't interfere with a homeopathic remedy, the only way it can interfere with a homeopathic remedy is through the placebo effect, in other words if they say it will then purely because they said it, it will. To me caffeine if taken in moderation is a wonder drug with great complimentary effects to the human body, as long as your not smoking it.

It is interesting, I'd still like to see the scientific evidence for stints in clogged arteries, for aspartame in lieu of sugar, for half of the allopathic remedies...

We want evidence for herbs, accupuncture and not the centuries worth of anecdotal....but if a pharmaceutical company has got something with only 14 side affects and most of the patients live...eureka.

There is now somewhere a way you can look at the hospitals for heart surgery and determine how your hospital stacks up against others...average, better than average, worse than average...in order to get those results they had to have the stats...I don't want the sanitized version I want the stats...ie what percentage die on the table, what percentage within 10 days, what percentage end up with a staph infection... but these results would make people leery of using the hospital....duh..

Just like when the FDA said no to food labeling for GMO, Radiation (now known as Cold Pasteurization) and foods with growth hormone injections or fertilized with human sludge waste treatment plant sludge....they said if they labeled them, people wouldn't eat the food....duh.

One thing that does concern me about homeopathy is if it is scientifically proven will that mean that when they say the safe level of arsenic, or lead or pcb is xx ppm...should that actually be higher??

How strange I was just reading about this a couple of nights ago:

MADELEINE Ennis, a pharmacologist at Queen's University, Belfast, was the scourge of homeopathy. She railed against its claims that a chemical remedy could be diluted to the point where a sample was unlikely to contain a single molecule of anything but water, and yet still have a healing effect. Until, that is, she set out to prove once and for all that homeopathy was bunkum.
In her most recent paper, Ennis describes how her team looked at the effects of ultra-dilute solutions of histamine on human white blood cells involved in inflammation. These "basophils" release histamine when the cells are under attack. Once released, the histamine stops them releasing any more. The study, replicated in four different labs, found that homeopathic solutions - so dilute that they probably didn't contain a single histamine molecule - worked just like histamine. Ennis might not be happy with the homeopaths' claims, but she admits that an effect cannot be ruled out.

Clearly if can be proven to work that is physics and chemistry as we know it out of the window -oooh isn't science a blast. ;)

I don't really want to get into a debate about nutrition and holistic health and all of those things, but I have a little bit of personal experience - and whether anyone else believes or accepts it or not, it still means a lot to me.

I have been in a very spiritual place and time in my life recently and to be brief, I have found that when I take caffeine, my sensitivity, to those quiet words inside and that strong but subtle connection to the whole, fades.

sara[h]ng;115821 said:
I don't really want to get into a debate about nutrition and holistic health and all of those things, but I have a little bit of personal experience - and whether anyone else believes or accepts it, it means a lot to me.

I have been in a very spiritual place and time in my life recently and to be brief, I have found that when I take caffeine, my sensitivity, to those quiet words inside and that strong but subtle connection to the whole, fades.

I don't know about spitirually Sara but there is certainly plenty of medical studies that show how many illnesses are aggrivated by caffeine, so the spiritual aspect would come as no surprise to me.

{MW makes mental note to cut down on caffeine, even though she makes the same mental note daily - usually while making a cup of coffee}

I don't know about spitirually Sara but there is certainly plenty of medical studies that show how many illnesses are aggrivated by caffeine, so the spiritual aspect would come as no surprise to me.

{MW makes mental note to cut down on caffeine, even though she makes the same mental note daily - usually while making a cup of coffee}

****, I must be deaf then.

Which illnesses MW? Speak up!

s.

****, I must be deaf then.

Which illnesses MW? Speak up!

s.

Sorry to do a cut and paste thingy but I didn't want you thinking I was making it up:

For them, a small amount could cause insomnia, headaches, irritability and nervousness.

There have been many studies over the years dealing with caffeine and human health. These studies have looked at the potential adverse effects of caffeine in such areas as:
  • general toxicity (e.g., muscle tremors, nausea, irritability);
  • cardiovascular effects (e.g., heart rate, cholesterol, blood pressure);
  • effects on calcium balance and bone health (e.g., bone density, risk of fractures);
  • behavioural effects in both adults and children (e.g., anxiety, mood changes, attentiveness);
  • potential links to cancer; and
  • effects on reproduction (e.g., male and female fertility, birth weight)
The max recommended daily intake of caffeine (including in coca cola, etc) is 400mg a day for an adult not sensitive to caffeine.

It is important to realize, however, that many coffee mugs are larger than 8 oz. Also, takeout coffees can be as large as 16 oz (474 ml) or 20 oz (592 ml). Just one 20-oz coffee would contain more caffeine than the daily limit suggested for pregnant women (300mg).

An average 8-oz (237 ml) serving of blended tea has 43 mg of caffeine. A 12-oz (355 ml) can of regular cola has between 36-46 mg of caffeine. A 1-oz (28-gram) portion of a milk chocolate candy bar has about 7 mg of caffeine. The caffeine content of a 1-oz portion of a dark chocolate candy bar would be closer to 19 mg.
Some of the "energy drinks" that are now on the market contain about as much caffeine per serving as an 8-oz. cup of brewed coffee. Some, however, have a higher caffeine content.

So be warned and cut down on caffeine - now if I can just take my own advise. Have cut coffee to one cup every 4 to 5 days but still addicted to cola and tea.

I have heard from a Veterinarian on how homeopathy has worked on animals -----a placebo affect!!? I am an advocate of herbal remedies, ie. milkthistle for liver detoxification (??) and valerian for sleeping and other such natural remedies and am open minded on homeopathy.

All medicines, drugs, natural or otherwise need balanced intake. My mother's health has been ruined by too many concoctions of pharmacutical drugs - some even prescribed that shouldn't be mixed together.

Tao -
the coffee thing---I've heard that too. A friend of mine smokes like a trooper, knocks back the "leaded" coffee, and does the odd drink binge. Yet she is addicted to homeopathy and kiniesiology -------they keep taking her money---and telling her to stop caffeine

Coffee is bad, very bad.!!!!! one of the worst. I am a complete maniac if I don't get it in the morning. Read Patrick Holford, author of "The Optimal Nutrition Bible", its all there. Kick Caffeine for Good

EVIL EVIL EVIL COFFEE.

I'm trying a month of detox. Wish me luck

Ard----addict---enz :(

I have heard from a Veterinarian on how homeopathy has worked on animals -----a placebo affect!!?

How could it be a placebo effect on an animal? They would have to know they are taking medicine and believe it is going to help them for it to be a placebo effect. I have horses, dogs, cats, ducks, chicken, sheep, pigeons and fish (have I forgotten anyone????) and I feel sure none of them know I am giving them medicine or that it will be good for them, perhaps why they try to hurt me when I do it?!

I am an advocate of herbal remedies, ie. milkthistle for liver detoxification (??) and valerian for sleeping and other such natural remedies and am open minded on homeopathy.

Do you take a spoon of honey, in warm water, every day? I was gobsmacked when I found out how many of the minerals and vits we need are in pure honey. Basically if you do that you can throw the multi vit tabs in the bin, my health (particulalry stomach acid and bowel) have improved no end since I kicked coffee and started drinking water and honey.

I'm trying a month of detox. Wish me luck

The very best of luck. Please let me know how you get on, maybe you could post a diary. Then if it works I shall give it a go - sorry to use you as a guinea pig but the idea of stopping smoking makes me feel ill. :eek:

All very interesting :) I'm sure once I have brewed myself a fresh pot of red hot java I'll be back with some freeze dried reasons on why you miss the full rich aroma of the wider arguments!!

Tao

How could it be a placebo effect on an animal? They would have to know they are taking medicine and believe it is going to help them for it to be a placebo effect.

sorry MW my answer didn't translate properly with those small question marks and exclamation marks. Of course the placebo affect can't happen with animals, that was my point --- that's why it's so interesting that it could work. So much of the criticism of homeopathy is that the benefits must be from the placebo affect.---need to use smilies more:rolleyes::)

Do you take a spoon of honey, in warm water, every day?
good one...I even remember this from my granny, and mollasses. Thanks,I will try it with my detox. I also heard the benefits of manuka honey, though I was always cynical that people were being ripped off because it costs so much. Apparently it is used in burns to great benefit.

sorry to use you as a guinea pig but the idea of stopping smoking makes me feel ill. :eek:
It will take great willpower to give up caffeine. I've never really smoked, thankfully, I also have some "irish" drinking traits, which tend to manifest whenever there is a small gathering.

cheers :eek::)

A

Tao ! you must be awake all hours with all that caffeine, I can see it with that new Avatar, "Night Equus"

Bugger. Maybe I'll have to look to my coffee consumption. I don't want anybody to think that I'm shallow, but if I gave up my Illy dark roast coffee my life would have no meaning.:eek:

s.

sorry MW my answer didn't translate properly with those small question marks and exclamation marks. :)

Apologies Ardenz, it was just me misreading. We need a sarcasm smilie.

This is the problem with science, it can't just say "hey, we don't know how but it works", it all has to be "x and y added to an orange and 3 sheets of paper make an interesting hat". I could understand if doctors would say, clearly it works, so now we need to study to find out how it works.

I also heard the benefits of manuka honey, though I was always cynical that people were being ripped off because it costs so much. Apparently it is used in burns to great benefit.

I shall show my ignorence here, what is manuka honey? Assume it is from a manuka bee?

I also have some "irish" drinking traits, which tend to manifest whenever there is a small gathering.

Ah, an Irish small gathering - so that would be 2 people and if another person is unavailable the parrot will do?! :p:D

Salaam

Here is a link with some basic background on Manuka Honey: BBC NEWS | Health | Harnessing honey's healing power

Quite topical too as it happens, it was on this mornings breakfast news as it is being used in hospitals in Wales to treat wounds infected with MRSA.

I learned about the use of these honeys with high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide some time ago. In Australia jellybush and leatherbark honeys both contain these healing properties and were a part of Aboriginal medicine before science cottoned on. It is indeed another fine example of how science ignores traditional remedies at its peril. This is changing, the drug companies have people out scouring the planet for natural compounds and they seek out indigenous 'doctors' to give them leads. The barfturds then put a patent on the isolated compound so no-one else can use it tho. Often they forget, the scientists, that these remedies have been in use for millennia, clinical trials that go back to our nomadic forebears. The truth today is that drug companies are less interested in our health than filing patents and scoring huge profits from often toxic substances of debatably any value whatsoever. There are a handful of pharmaceutical drugs of undoubted value but the vast majority of them are useless. And often it seems that isolating compounds is not the answer, that the natural substance works best as a cocktail of sometimes minute traces that is produced in the whole.
Natural holistic approaches to health do work. In Wales the combination approach they take, including manuka honey and maggots to clean out infections, has already seen them reduce the cases of MRSA by a third compared to the rest of the UK, and thats only in a short time. They expect to make further reductions as time goes on. An excellent model to follow.

Tao

Back