Scientific Evidence for Homeopathy

From Homeopathy to caffeine and honey.......what about a health section ?

yes , Tao, I heard about some of these Manuka Honey claims from a scientist on a radio programme. thnks for links. The grading is very important.

A DETOX UPDATE
(yes off topic)
I have been off caffeine for 5 days - [with one cup on sunday] - the headaches are only subsiding today, wed. I have done this before and this is normal for me, a caffeineaddict. Caffeine means : chocolate, tea (even green tea), coffee, soft drinks, etc.. Am making do with nettle tea...mmmyummmy ! and veggie juice, water. Also off milk, sugar, alcohol and other baddies. I have been recommended a homeopathic combined detox remedy which I may try.

I swam in the sea this morning for the first time this year and am generally starting to feel less groggy in the morning.

will let you know when I start training for the marathon:)

Maybe a masochism page too!!
While I wish you the best on whatever you choose...
I just love my red hot java
Its all a trade off between pleasure and pain...
I'l stick to a latte and a nice hot bath :)

From Homeopathy to caffeine and honey.......what about a health section ?

Hi ardenz

I like that idea, share health tips. I mentioned the Manuka honey to my father today and he said that honey was used in Medievil times on wounds, s it was known to ward off infection. Makes you wonder if science has actually progressed at all?!

Am making do with nettle tea...mmmyummmy ! and veggie juice, water. Also off milk, sugar, alcohol and other baddies. I have been recommended a homeopathic combined detox remedy which I may try.

Well done you, I like the sound of more energy in the morning. Do you really feel that is from changing your diet for just 5 days? If so, it would be an awful reflection on our normal diet.

Tao

Typical chap, I bet if said I was on a diet you would talk about chocolate cake! :p

lol MW,

Well maybe I just dont understand, being the type that can eat what i want and not gain a pound. But since it may make others a tad envious I wont post a report on how good the chocolate hazelnut profiteroles I am making tomorrow are. Washed down with a big mug of cappuccino made from full fat Jersey milk, of course. :)

Tao
(now wipe that drool off your chin.... most unladylike!!)

lol MW,

Well maybe I just dont understand, being the type that can eat what i want and not gain a pound. But since it may make others a tad envious I wont post a report on how good the chocolate hazelnut profiteroles I am making tomorrow are. Washed down with a big mug of cappuccino made from full fat Jersey milk, of course. :)

Tao

I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU :p I just have to walk past a cake shop and add a pound. Yep, I hate you. :p:p:p

I wiped the drool off and am now chewing my carrot stick, drinking my cranberry juice and having a damn good cry. ;)

DETOX day 8 [sorry we have gone way off topic by now - Scientific Evidence for Homeopathy will go off and think about it :)]

still swimming....the water seems to be getting warmer its amazing.... most of the swimmers are fit and healthy elderly folk, some who swim year round ! they have great attitudes

porridge has entered the scene (the old gruel). Have found some other herbal teas as a change from nettle.

Tao,
Who doesn't looove chocolate cake, especially the dark stuff. mmm

My reason for going detox harks back to the mental health discussion a while back. When I watched my diet before, I was doing better in that department: losing weight etc was just a bonus. I never had to watch calories much myself, though the tummy is spreading a little now.

One of the most important things to take is the Omega oils 3:6:9. important for brain, skin...one great source is Hemp oil. It will take a few weeks for improvements to start showing. Meanwhile my brain is still a little fuzzy. I don't quite feel myself yet, whatever that may be. [no, not the hemp]

So the masochism continues .....

Ardenz

MW ,
I think most modern medicine is up its a**e.

I believe that hemp fibres are like razors in the intestinal tract and can cause internal bleeding. So be careful to chew these chocolate brownies well ;)

I go down to Cornwall in September for 2 weeks where I cant wait to jump in the ocean. The North sea is way too cold and polluted to even consider it.

Tao

Here is a link with some basic background on Manuka Honey: BBC NEWS | Health | Harnessing honey's healing power

Never heard of this stuff but being the gullible type I just got a jar. All I can report so far is it tastes fabulous. Apparantly there's a guy making similar stuff from a hivery (???!!) in Derbyshire, where he only heats the honey up to the temperature of the hive, to protect the wondrous properties of it. My local shop keeper swears by it.

On the detox front, I'm off the caffeinated coffee and wine. Next stop: when the decaff runs out...no more coffee. So far insanity has not set in. But we'll see......:eek::p:rolleyes:

s.

lol MW,

Tao
No worries Tao...I was that way for over 30 years.....it ends abruptly for some...and then changing eating habits is tough....I eat a lot better...volume is my problem...went from waist 29 to 40

No worries Tao...I was that way for over 30 years.....it ends abruptly for some...and then changing eating habits is tough....I eat a lot better...volume is my problem...went from waist 29 to 40

Well I have to confess that I think a change is starting to occur in me too. I stopped smoking cigs in March and since then I have put weight on. I have gone from 154lbs to 168lbs in that time and am now heavier than I have ever been. At 6' tall tho I am still slim and athletic looking, infact most say I look better for the extra weight. It has gone on fairly evenly, only a slight bias toward the stomach area. And I am feeling fitter and stronger than I have for years because of stopping smoking. I do have a love of rich dairy based foods. I am a cheese fanatic. So I would find what is popularised as a healthy diet too much of a sacrifice. I think there is a trade off you can only choose for yourself and if i start putting even more weight on I probably will reassess my diet. But till then I will enjoy while I can. I never eat fast or processed foods, I think this, together with portion control, is key to remaining slim.

Tao

Never heard of this stuff but being the gullible type I just got a jar. All I can report so far is it tastes fabulous. Apparantly there's a guy making similar stuff from a hivery (???!!) in Derbyshire, where he only heats the honey up to the temperature of the hive, to protect the wondrous properties of it. My local shop keeper swears by it.

On the detox front, I'm off the caffeinated coffee and wine. Next stop: when the decaff runs out...no more coffee. So far insanity has not set in. But we'll see......:eek::p:rolleyes:

s.

Why are you giving up wine? Red wine is very healthy.

Tao

Tao

Hee, hee, it's the red grapes that are good for you not the wine ;) You get more health benefits from eating red grapes than drinking it as wine - sorry to burst your bubble.

How did you give up smoking? I am a heavy smoker and don't try to give up because I don't think I want to enough but my brain always says "for a clever woman you are really, really stupid - put that *** out".

As for your few extra pounds, sorry but I think guys look better with a little meat on them, am rather fond of a round tummy, makes a man look more 'homey' somehow. :D

Congrats on the caffeine Snoopy, it will take a while but I bet you start to see a difference soon.

8 days of detox - my flabber is gastered, well done. Am seriously thinking of joining you as soon as I get my bloody tests back next week.

General note - will people please stop saying they don't really put on weight, some of us were not born with such friendly genes and you are depressing the hell out of me.

Hee, hee, it's the red grapes that are good for you not the wine ;) You get more health benefits from eating red grapes than drinking it as wine - sorry to burst your bubble.
Well I know which is better for me ;)

How did you give up smoking? I am a heavy smoker and don't try to give up because I don't think I want to enough but my brain always says "for a clever woman you are really, really stupid - put that *** out".

To be honest I have found it very easy, easier than I anticipated. There is one reason and one reason only for this. I was ready to stop. Without being mentally prepared for it I think you cannot kick the habit. I had a last smoke 1 day in march, a decent cigar, and then used patches for 1 week. After day 3 the 'sweats' gave way to mental craving. Then its just the will to say no. Tho in truth I have replaced cigs with polos, still use a couple of tubes a day. The very best thing is my flat always smells nice now :)

Tao

Tao

Cutting down on the fermented grape cos I think it's not good for the mind; nothing to do with the body. May well have an occasional real coffee or glass of wine, but not as a regular thing (at least that's my intention!).

Detox update: chucked the decaff away as it is clearly just roasted sand.

s.

To be honest I have found it very easy, easier than I anticipated. There is one reason and one reason only for this. I was ready to stop. Without being mentally prepared for it I think you cannot kick the habit.

I am really glad it worked for you. I gave up a few years ago for 9 whole months and boy did life smell better. Just never think that "just the one" is ok, that was my slippery slope. I had one at an Xmas party and sure enough it was just one and the next day I stopped again. Until the next Xmas part where I had 3 and on it went.

Vindicated!!

It wasn't long ago when coffee was linked to heart disease, osteoporosis, infertility and pancreatic cancer. Now research suggests that if you drink enough of it, you'll lower the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, asthma, gallstones, Parkinson's disease, liver cancer and possibly colon cancer. And you'll feel more alert and work out harder at the gym.globeandmail.com: A cup of joe does more good than harm

I guess it's all things in moderation (except maybe Class A drugs). Which is what I shall probably settle on (the moderation, not the drugs...)

Every day one can read that X is good for you; X is bad for you. Tis very confusing. I think I'll stick with what you can trust - McDonalds.

s.

Long, l-o-o-n-g ago (or maybe not that long ago, actually) there was a more common knowledge of the assets of such things as burdock root, willow bark, juniper berries, etc. One needed no prescription, only the knowledge--and much of it was right there in the recipe book at home. The ingredients were there in the garden or in the woods not too far away. The average man or woman was a scientist, in a way. This, of course, was before one needed a piece of paper to either to prove one's proficiency or to assure the legality of a prescription. It was before religion and superstition began to suggest that people with this knowledge were either sages or witches. And it was long before big pharmaceutical companies were nearly solely in control of these fruits of nature. It was also before the "health food" and vitamin industry began to put dangerous concentrations into capsules and push the idea that the more "mega" the dose, the more benefits.

Of course, it was also a time when the average person was often a "guinea pig" at his or her own hand. But, as Snoopy pointed out, the health and medical community still fluctuates on almost a daily basis as to what is beneficial and what is not. Take the incredible, edible egg, for example. How many times have we heard one thing and then another, only to start it all over again?

Ideally, homeopathy is about balance. It is about more than what to (or what not to) consume through one's digestive system. But homeopathy, like anything else, is subject to manipulation for the sake of a dollar. And I'm not knocking the modern day scientist, but there are talented and knowledgeable folks in every area of life who don't have official degrees.

It is disappointing to me in a very real way that so many doctors are not allowed to discuss "alternative" remedies, or feel so vulnerable to litigation that they just avoid the subject. I am in a position to know that homeopathy is more respected by much of the medical community than the average patient is aware. I cannot help but wish that there was more of a balanced approach to all this.

InPeace,
InLove

Back