Clean & Unclean Meats

Bruce Michael

Reaction score
Shalom Friends,

Here is a good list of articles on unclean meats:

http://www.zoomnet.net/~bbratt/pig.html

I wouldn't say that you are "going to hell" for eating unclean meats, just that it is unhealthy.

There is more to the issue of pig eating than just being more susceptible to developing diabetes, or swallowing those nasty parasites they carry. (I just heard on the radio about the nature of the sugar in pig cells which identifies it as pig rather than human.)

Of course Christ Jesus cast out demons and they entered into swine. And it is these elemental demons connected with the pig flesh that we don't want to entertain either.

So pig eating has more serious consequences than say, eating a shrimp.

In the East some have gone out of their way to consume the "unclean meats". Perhaps they have a sensitivity to the snake's urine or tiger's penis, and other such "delicacies" that they consume. This is not the kind of astrality that we would wish to have in our system.

I have heard of efforts made in South Korea to ban the consumption of dog meat. Apparently they torture these poor animals to death in a manner to cause the utmost pain. It is thought that this will give the consumer some sort of sexual thrill. All it will do is brutalise the individual- and they have their own torture chamber to meet in purgatory/kamaloca.

-Br.Bruce

Just to add-

All diabetic patients have one thing in common. They all are or have been pork eaters. Just ask them and they will tell you.
The cause of diabetes has been known for thousands of years since the days and lifetime of the great Moses. On page 47 of “Nutrition and Stimulants“, a book written by Dr. Rudolf Steiner, “Above all the eating of pork was forbidden in order to prevent diabetes, since pig meat makes proper utilization of sugar particularly difficult for man.”

Origin or Etiology of Diabetes

Me thinks... that to him who thinks or esteems something to be unclean ....
To him, it is unclean.
Enough said...

Love and Peace,
JM

Me thinks... that to him who thinks or esteems something to be unclean ....
To him, it is unclean.
Enough said...

Love and Peace,
JM
Indeed. Eh wasn't it Peter who had the dream of the linens hanging from heaven containing clean and unclean meats (animals)? And wasn't he told specifically, that it wasn't what went into the mouth that was unclean, but what came out of the heart?

v/r

Q

All diabetic patients have one thing in common. They all are or have been pork eaters. Just ask them and they will tell you. The cause of diabetes has been known for thousands of years since the days and lifetime of the great Moses. On page 47 of “Nutrition and Stimulants“, a book written by Dr. Rudolf Steiner, “Above all the eating of pork was forbidden in order to prevent diabetes, since pig meat makes proper utilization of sugar particularly difficult for man.”

My sister has had diabetes since she was five years old. My parents have always been strict vegetarians, and I guarantee you she never ate pork before she was an adult. My aunt has diabetes and she has also never eaten pork. I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that insulin was made from pigs.

Chris

I think you should read a little on the disease before posting such ill informed nonsense Bruce. There are estimated to be around 171 million people worldwide suffering from the 2 main types of this disease. A large proportion of which belong to countries or religions where pork is rare or forbidden.

To be honest I find you method of posting on many subjects to be such that I do not feel like I am engaging with an individual and his own thoughts. I find this irritating.

Tao

I think you should read a little on the disease before posting such ill informed nonsense Bruce. There are estimated to be around 171 million people worldwide suffering from the 2 main types of this disease. A large proportion of which belong to countries or religions where pork is rare or forbidden.

To be honest I find you method of posting on many subjects to be such that I do not feel like I am engaging with an individual and his own thoughts. I find this irritating.

Tao

You can post comments on his blog- I gave the link.

I post material from various sources.
From the above quoted blog:
"Again, PORK, animal flesh, eaten over a long period of time in excess of one-one and one half ounces in any twenty four hour period in time is the only and sole cause of diabetes, except those born with it. When the question is asked of any diabetic patient, “ Do you or have you ever eaten pork? The answer has to be, “yes.” The “yes” answer may be tempered with,” I used to, but not now.” Regardless one will always find the presence of pork in this person’s diet who has diabetes."

It is well known that certain races suffer more than others from diabetes, but now it is on the march in the overfed Western world.

Blessings,
Br.Bruce

My sister has had diabetes since she was five years old. My parents have always been strict vegetarians, and I guarantee you she never ate pork before she was an adult. My aunt has diabetes and she has also never eaten pork. I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that insulin was made from pigs.

Chris

Well, Chris, that particular doctor (a dentist) would say they were born with it.
Vegetarians in Paradise/ Diabetes Diet/Diabetes Prevention

"Many studies confirm that a meat-based diet, low in fiber and high in refined foods, is the cause of the epidemic of obesity and diabetes we are now seeing. Seventh Day Adventists, about half of whom are vegetarian, have only half the death rate from diabetes as the rest of the population."

There's a clue for you.
Control Diabetes With a Vegetarian Diet
Vegetarian Diets for People with Diabetes

Remember the sins of the fathers are visited upon the sons.

Good health to you,
Br.Bruce

Q:
Indeed. Eh wasn't it Peter who had the dream of the linens hanging from heaven containing clean and unclean meats (animals)? And wasn't he told specifically, that it wasn't what went into the mouth that was unclean, but what came out of the heart?

v/r

Q

A:
You didn't really think that on a webpage devoted to the question clean & unclean meats for Christians, they wouldn't have answered this objection?

The Bible Diet: Which Foods were Created to be Eaten by Man? - Part 1 - at BibleStudy.org
You know that Peter had kept the law:
"I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean."
"what God has made clean, you have no right to call profane (NJB)."

Many assume this means God "cleansed" unclean food, but they neglect to read on to see if that assumption is correct. Verse 17 in the NJB says:

"Peter was still at a loss over the meaning of the vision he had seen, when the men sent by Cornelius arrived." (Emphasis added.)

Note that Peter himself did not attribute to his vision any meaning that God had cleansed unclean meats; he simply didn't know what it meant. He didn't have long to wait to determine the meaning as it became clear as soon the men sent by Cornelius arrived. Cornelius was a Gentile (a Roman officer) who had sent three men to Peter after receiving a vision of his own to do so. Peter quickly realized that his vision meant that he should not "call any man (not any meat) common or unclean." Peter understood the unclean meat in the vision had a symbolic, not a literal, meaning.

There is the clear meaning of the dream. Dreams are symbolic- as this one was.
There are many examples of symbolic dreams in the Bible.

The Jews of Peter's time (including Peter) were so Xenophobia that they avoided contact with Gentiles as much as possible, regarding them as "unclean" (as verse 28 confirms). Peter shared that Xenophobia (an appropriate modern term would be "racism"), and in all likelihood would not have accompanied these Gentiles unless God had revealed to him in the vision "not to treat any man as unclean" (a conclusion Peter reiterated in verse 34). Later, God gave the Holy Spirit to these Gentiles in the presence of Peter and his delegation. What was their reaction? Verse 45 states:

"Jewish believers who had accompanied Peter were all astonished that...the Holy Spirit should be poured out on Gentiles too." (NJB)

Freedom is a very important principle in Christainity, but I say reconsider the old dietary laws.

*clink*clink*,
Good Health,
Br. Bruce

with all due respect, bruce, i think you're way off track with this. whilst i recognise that there is a large body of opinion that seems to believe that pig meat is somehow dangerous and that kashrut (the jewish dietary laws) is a form of primitive health drive it has very little basis in fact. even the words "unclean" and "clean" are misleading, being based on translation from the septuagint rather than familiarity with the concepts of "tumah" and "taharah" (the actual words used) themselves, which are intimately bound up with every aspect of human interaction. tumah and taharah are concerned with both food, personal status and the Temple cultus and to be frank, it makes little sense to concentrate on one without the other. i don't suppose you're about to refrain from touching your wife for seven days after her period, or start checking your walls for "tzaraat", or checking whether any of your skin abnormalities might be a "baheret". i mean, seriously - this stuff really doesn't have anything to do with anyone other than us!

there is no intrinsic "tumah" in a pig. "tumah" is connected to death, thus the primary source of "tumah" is a dead body, whether of a person or an animal. food is of course dead by the time we eat it, or at least is if it's kosher. and the kashrut laws, of course, only apply to jews. non-jews are not obliged to keep kosher. you can eat what you like as long as it isn't a limb from an animal that's still alive. a pig is not intrinsically "tumah", as i've said - if you look at the text itself, it says "it shall be tumah TO YOU" - the "you" of course being the jewish people. if you ignore that bit then there's a whole bunch of stuff you're going to be wrong about.

i hate to burst your bubble, but all this stuff about trichinosis, tapeworms and diabetes is just complete nonsense. you get tapeworms from a beef diet (ask the ethiopians) and there are plenty of 100% kashrut-observant jews with diabetes, to say nothing about vegetarian hindus! i can't believe people repeat this stuff.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Peace Bananabrain,
> whilst i recognise that there is a large body of opinion that seems to >believe that pig meat is somehow dangerous and that kashrut (the jewish >dietary laws) is a form of primitive health drive it has very little basis in >fact.
Well yes the truth always rests on facts, doesn't it? You might accept those facts or not- that is your business. One thing I do know is that many Christians, the Jews and the Muslims, all agree that pig eating is a disgusting practice.

You assume that the laws of Leviticus are part of a "primitive health drive". But I don't see a reference to that in Leviticus. Good health may have been a by-product, but that is not the reason for the laws.

Granted, there are not reasons given for the laws- but that was then and this is now. These days we need good reasons, then we think about it and decide whether we should go ahead and practice those laws or not.

> i don't suppose you're about to refrain from touching your wife for seven >days after her period, or start checking your walls for "tzaraat", or >checking whether any of your skin abnormalities might be a "baheret". i >mean, seriously - this stuff really doesn't have anything to do with >anyone other than us!

As I said we need to know the spiritual reasons of why these things were given out as laws in the first place. You are assuming it was just for mundane reasons.

>there is no intrinsic "tumah" in a pig. "tumah" is connected to death, thus >the primary source of "tumah" is a dead body, whether of a person or an >animal.

Oh yes there is. The pig does not appear to exhibit an evil nature.

They are intelligent, and quite compatible with human beings. Look at the back of your hand and see how much it looks like pigskin. Our friend the pig also is recognized in medical science, as having organs which are quite close to the human.
In strict terms the boar is a far distant relative to the pig.

Why is it then that the pig has been held in horror by Man for generations? One might question whether it is a case of perversion, or evolution, or perhaps even a mixed evolution. Lower entities are attracted in such an indulgence as pig eating, a practice that negates aspiring humanhood.

We already know of the attraction of demons to swine, as a description is given in the Gospels.

>i hate to burst your bubble, but all this stuff about trichinosis, tapeworms >and diabetes is just complete nonsense. you get tapeworms from a beef >diet (ask the ethiopians) and there are plenty of 100% kashrut-observant >jews with diabetes, to say nothing about vegetarian hindus! i can't >believe people repeat this stuff.

While your bursting bubbles you might find that Trichinosis has not been totally eliminated.
And as i found on one forum:
In one of the journals it was estimated that many such brain lesions go undetected or the symptoms are attributed to other causes, senile dementia, Alzheimers, Parkinson's, etc.,

Bovine tapeworm is not such a problem as pig tapeworm:

Tapeworm and the brain
Neurocysticercosis(NCC) is the most common parasitic infection of the brain affecting more than 50 million people all over the world. NCC is caused by infection of the larvae of the pig tapeworm Taenia solium(TS). Pigs become How the tapeworm spreads. infected when they ingest contaminated human faeces. If someone ingests diseased (measly) pork meat containing larva forms of this tapeworm or ingests its eggs when eating contaminated foods, the parasite fins its way to the small intestine where they become mature. From here the parasite spreads to the brain to form of cystic lesions, also affecting the eyes, muscles or spinal cord.

As to diabetes, I would be looking at the rates in men of the Seventh Day Adventist church- half that of the general population.

A vegetarian diet is a good idea if you have diabetes.

As to pig eating being the only cause of diabetes- I wouldn't be so convinced as the dentist I quoted. Steiner states that the dietary laws forbidding pork consumption were given to the Jews because of their susceptibility to that disease.

The more compatible an animal is with Man, the less compatible his flesh is to consume, this is a fact.

God Bless,
Br.Bruce

It is said that it is more important what comes out of our mouth than what goes in it.

I'd say that applies to our fingers as well.

Oh, I think a veggie diet is better, no doubt about it. As to SDA's...well, I'm an ex-SDA, so I think I can speak to that. I grew up eating veggie-meat. We used to get this gluten based fake meat in a giant frozen roll. Then later we found out that stuff had so much sodium that it was worse than eating meat. And it was loaded with MSG. The Boca burgers and other fakey meat products are more healthy these days, but they sure don't taste as good as those salty MSG veggie dogs of my youth that hit your stomach like a gluten rock. If I ever want to take a trip down memory lane, though, all I have to do is eat a a handfull of Baco-bits right out of the jar. Mmmm, you can taste it for days.

Chris

oh my god, i cant believe such a lot of (dare I say it ) HOG WASH. you cannot convince me that your or whoevers god forbids us as hu;mans to eat meat. If you want to be a vegan etc, well good for you, but for me as an omnivour i'll eat most meat and lots of veges. of course we all have our acquired tastes but to say and quote texts from bibles etc that HAVE been manipulated by man(in general) to back up your culinary desires is totally ridiculous. I was hoping to get a general idea on why pig is so undesired to some beliefs. but this concept that the pig is what,(evil, unclean). oooohhhhh. scary. like any animal bred for the domestic meat market, it is as clean as the processess that the carcass goes through. not some heebie jeebie rubbish. A little bit of everything in moderation, i think is the key. Im going to make myself and my equally evil offspring some bacon and egg burgers......lol love the grey

oh my god, i cant believe such a lot of (dare I say it ) HOG WASH. you cannot convince me that your or whoevers god forbids us as hu;mans to eat meat. If you want to be a vegan etc, well good for you, but for me as an omnivour i'll eat most meat and lots of veges. of course we all have our acquired tastes but to say and quote texts from bibles etc that HAVE been manipulated by man(in general) to back up your culinary desires is totally ridiculous. I was hoping to get a general idea on why pig is so undesired to some beliefs. but this concept that the pig is what,(evil, unclean). oooohhhhh. scary. like any animal bred for the domestic meat market, it is as clean as the processess that the carcass goes through. not some heebie jeebie rubbish. A little bit of everything in moderation, i think is the key. Im going to make myself and my equally evil offspring some bacon and egg burgers......lol love the grey

Why is it hog wash? lol.... If there is a freak attack where some lion kills someone's kid or whatever... What you're crying? Over that hog wash? Oh boo freaking hoo, it's just a lion eating a kid.... Just having a light snack, some lunchie munchies. Sheesh...... You know where I'm going with this.... ooooh yea, you know! Rooooo meo!

bruce,

Bruce Michael said:
You assume that the laws of Leviticus are part of a "primitive health drive". But I don't see a reference to that in Leviticus. Good health may have been a by-product, but that is not the reason for the laws.
i don't think you've actually understood a word i've said. i am an observant jew. i keep kosher. as far as i am concerned the laws in the Torah were given by G!D. that is my starting point.

the laws in the Torah are also of several sorts. according to most classifications, there is a difference between laws that have a rational basis (mishpatim) and those that serve a cultic purpose (huqqim). they are distinguished in the Text themselves, usually by separate mentions as "laws and statutes" - both of which, in english, mean the same thing. in biblical hebrew they do not. kashrut is, according to most interpretations, cultic, not rational, except insofar as it serves to bolster community cohesion, in that if you can't eat with someone it makes it harder to intermarry with them. my point is, however, that these are spiritual laws for which the *reasons (as you yourself realise) are not given*. that means that pseudo-scientific logic and post-hoc rationalisation are not the most appropriate tools for understanding them. kashrut operates on an entirely different level and, as i said, is *not* designed as a "healthy eating" regimen. anyone who's ever eaten kugel or would know that.

These days we need good reasons, then we think about it and decide whether we should go ahead and practice those laws or not.
that is not the viewpoint of traditionally-minded jews. as you are no doubt aware, not understanding the reasons is not a reason to ditch the law, but an opportunity to look deeper into them. the Torah says "na'aseh ve-nishm'a" - "we shall do and we shall hear/understand": in that order. not, "we shall look at the reasons and then we shall decide whether to do or not". that's a fundamental difference.

As I said we need to know the spiritual reasons of why these things were given out as laws in the first place. You are assuming it was just for mundane reasons.
like i said, that is the precise opposite of what i am saying. we are perfectly aware of the spiritual reasons, which are, as i said, to do with tumah and taharah, which are absolutely *not* to do with hygiene.

Oh yes there is[intrinsic tumah in a pig?]. The pig does not appear to exhibit an evil nature.
i have no idea what you mean by this. a pig is an animal. it cannot be "evil" if it has no concept of free-will, or choice, or good and evil. it is an animal and acts on instinct and conditioning.

They are intelligent, and quite compatible with human beings. Look at the back of your hand and see how much it looks like pigskin. Our friend the pig also is recognized in medical science, as having organs which are quite close to the human.
and xenotransplants from pigs are permitted in halakhah (jewish law) - we may not be permitted to eat a pig, but we can certainly save a human life using one. this is what JWs get wrong - transplants are not considered "eating" - besides, if i was on a desert island with only pork to eat, it would be halakhically required for me to do so.

Well yes the truth always rests on facts, doesn't it?
if you want to debate the nature of truth, this is not the right subject to do it on. you and i have different axiomatic standpoints - you appear to believe that Torah laws are designed to deliver some kind of scientific proof, whereas i am of the opinion that Torah laws are designed for the spiritual benefit of the jewish people and, where appropriate, the wider world. kashrut is a jewish thing, otherwise it'd be in the noahide laws. Torah is designed to be consistent with itself, not with science, despite many areas in which the two may or may not be in agreement - science and Torah have different (albeit not contradictory) standards of evidence and methodology.

You might accept those facts or not- that is your business.
it is certainly my business to distinguish between facts and anecdotal wishful thinking supported by questionable science.

One thing I do know is that many Christians, the Jews and the Muslims, all agree that pig eating is a disgusting practice.
well i don't agree with that. and i know a lot of other far more learned jews that don't agree with that. disgust is cultural - we may not eat it, but we are not commanded to be disgusted by it. either way this statement hardly qualifies as a "fact".

Why is it then that the pig has been held in horror by Man for generations?
again, this is more of your "man in the pub" "everybody knows" wisdom. it's not exactly a "fact".

Lower entities are attracted in such an indulgence as pig eating, a practice that negates aspiring humanhood.
what is "indulgent" about eating pigs as opposed to, say, cows? and what's it got to do with humanhood? this just sounds like a bunch of overblown windy rhetoric to me.

We already know of the attraction of demons to swine, as a description is given in the Gospels.
ah, the gospels, of course, also being a 100% factual basis for your scientific conclusions that pork is unhealthy.

As to diabetes, I would be looking at the rates in men of the Seventh Day Adventist church- half that of the general population.
well, as i've already said, observant jewish diabetes isn't half that of the general population, nor is hindu diabetes, so that just doesn't really stack up, does it?

Steiner states that the dietary laws forbidding pork consumption were given to the Jews because of their susceptibility to that disease.
and who the arse made him an authority on the reasons for kashrut? find me someone who knows about halakhah that says that and you've got a case, but i've never heard anything to suggest it.

wil said:
It is said that it is more important what comes out of our mouth than what goes in it. I'd say that applies to our fingers as well.
there are halakhic arguments about what constitutes the act of eating, but as you say, it's not just about mouths. in fact, if you'll indulge me, uncle bananabrain's pet theory about tuma and taharah (unsupported by official sanction, naturally) is that your average human is a set of pipes, some physical, some spiritual, some both. thus it is very important what goes into your pipes and what comes out of them and what they get connected up to at any given time. seeing things like that it makes a lot of sense what your various bodily and spiritual interfaces and orifices are used for.

greymare said:
but this concept that the pig is what,(evil, unclean). oooohhhhh. scary. like any animal bred for the domestic meat market, it is as clean as the processess that the carcass goes through. not some heebie jeebie rubbish.
precisely.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Well I for one feel 100% better when Im eating whole foods rather than this over processed junk they poison us with. Try doing it for a month and monitor your blood sugar and you'll see and deduct what is actually poisoning our bodies and the bodies of our children.

How to do this? Stay out of the middle of the grocery store.. Shop strictly on the outside... produce...the dairy...the meats...and buy whole wheat.

Back