The label....

17th Angel

לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות
Reaction score
Have you seen the little piggies crawling in the d
How many of you people pay for that "label" on that article of clothing? I have found a designer that I like.... But, I have to pay through the nose just because of the label on it... Like, shirts... Ok? two for £15.00 Tesco... And get a free freaking tie... Now... a Shirt I want (so it matches with the coat and jumper I have purchased... Same label) £165.00... lol like what $300.00... That's just for a shirt... No freaking tie either...

So I was just curious to see if any here had label addictions... And maybe how much you annually spend... Bascially I just want to see others paying more than me so I can kind of feel smug and not alone...... So... Who wastes their money? lol...

How many of you people pay for that "label" on that article of clothing? I have found a designer that I like.... But, I have to pay through the nose just because of the label on it... Like, shirts... Ok? two for £15.00 Tesco... And get a free freaking tie... Now... a Shirt I want (so it matches with the coat and jumper I have purchased... Same label) £165.00... lol like what $300.00... That's just for a shirt... No freaking tie either...

So I was just curious to see if any here had label addictions... And maybe how much you annually spend... Bascially I just want to see others paying more than me so I can kind of feel smug and not alone...... So... Who wastes their money? lol...
I'm completely anti-label. And if clothes have the name of the company on them I want a commission for adverizing. Hence I don't wear any of them, unless issued to me for free. But I'm no clothes horse. I suppose if I were wealthy I could get into some designers suits and shoes and want the best or whatever....but for me it is off the discount rack...or thrift store.

When I buy an automobile, new or used off the lot, negotiating done...the car comes out and its got the dealer name stuck to the trunk, an dealer license plate holder with their name on it....I ask for $1,000 for advertising or ask them to remove everything....it usually ends up $3-500 or free undercoating or free extended warranty...only once have the removed everything.

I'm completely anti-label. And if clothes have the name of the company on them I want a commission for adverizing. Hence I don't wear any of them, unless issued to me for free. But I'm no clothes horse. I suppose if I were wealthy I could get into some designers suits and shoes and want the best or whatever....but for me it is off the discount rack...or thrift store.

When I buy an automobile, new or used off the lot, negotiating done...the car comes out and its got the dealer name stuck to the trunk, an dealer license plate holder with their name on it....I ask for $1,000 for advertising or ask them to remove everything....it usually ends up $3-500 or free undercoating or free extended warranty...only once have the removed everything.

I see where ya coming from, reference to the cars... I am a "tuner" So anyone putting stickers or anything on the car/bike isn't happening, unless I put it there :p I know what you mean about the discount stuff.... I tend to do that.... But, I do like quite a bit of Stone Islands gear.... Just the design look of it... Nothing to do with the labels like "oooh look at what I am wearing whoopy freaking doo" With pleasure I will wear Tesco brand or cheap clothes... Just I like these clothes, shame on the cost lol..... If I am not in my 100% smart wear, I wear trainers.... I think you call them sneakers lol..... Snnnnnnneakers :D They cost me £20 a time from Tesco... But they only last for like a month, so each month I throw out £20.00 and it makes me wander.. What If you buy those expensive 100.00 pairs... Will they last longer? If they do I can see the value.... I would expect for that price they are made with quality... Not budget.

I won't pay for a label, but I would (haven't yet) pay more for clothing that I know comes from a company catering especially to vegans, particularly shoes.

Dauer

17th,

I'm sure any choice of this over that could be a fashion thing, and in a way it is for me, in a way it's not. I know that if there's more demand for vegan goods there'll probably be more variety, more competition, and the prices will drop. More of the mainstream shoemakers might start creating vegan, eco-friendly lines of shoes. If the demand for vegan shoes isn't met there'll be less available and the prices will go up. Just like we've seen in organic foods, there's been a growing demand for them and they're becoming much more readily available. It's sometimes possible to find organics at walmart now. Using my money to vote for the future availability of the goods I want is imo more effective than voting in the American presidential election.

I do wear leather but I'll only buy new leather if it's used (belts, not shoes.) I'm not fond of wool so that's not an issue. Another thing is shoes that aren't specifically made for vegans but are vegan-friendly aren't generally very nice. I don't want to be walking around in tennis shoes all the time. There are some exceptions. I love my tevas.

By definition veganism extends beyond deitary choices to consideration in all forms of consumption. If it only referred to diet it would be called strict vegetarianism.

Dauer

Oh no, I wasn't having a go, I can see just how some may try and take advantage of some, and you'll have those who have no real issue for vegan wear, just because it is the 'in' thing which wouldn't help those who do it because of their life style and such I dunno.. Thanks for the view :) Saw a show on how they make leather goods once.... I wouldn't like to see it again.

Other than non leather...I've got no clue what a shoe designed for vegans would be....unless it grows a particular mushroom.:D

The statement is serious....the joke is not.

Yeah, and I guess I would buy a 'label' if in fact that label produced something that I felt was better in quality and usefulness....Like Levi Jeans...for years I had an affinity to Levi's they fit and were durable...there were also boot manufacturers that were better...but funny they change over time...

Other than non leather...I've got no clue what a shoe designed for vegans would be....unless it grows a particular mushroom.:D

The statement is serious....the joke is not.

Yeah, and I guess I would buy a 'label' if in fact that label produced something that I felt was better in quality and usefulness....Like Levi Jeans...for years I had an affinity to Levi's they fit and were durable...there were also boot manufacturers that were better...but funny they change over time...

So if label = quality you would be happy to buy. I see. :D What If I started a label, would you buy a pair?

The one thing I don't like is the Name labels... Oh Jimmy Johnson! Franky Roy... And all that crap... Who want's another man's name in their underwear? Is it like the hobo look? Or just.... Gay, very gay.....

Vegan means that no animal was hurt killed or abused.... in the making of the product.....

wil,

leather is the primary issue in shoes being vegan. Often vegan shoes will use other durable substitutes, like these hiking boots made from hemp:

http://www.downbound.com/No_Sweatshop_Hemp_Organic_Vegan_Shoes_p/pwt-e-mbo2n.htm

And as that site suggests, the companies making vegan shoes are often also catering to those with concerns about sweat shops, organic materials, fair trade and the like. On the manufacturers of these particular shoes linked above it says:

"This sweatshop-free product is designed and manufactured by Ecolution using locally grown organic hemp. Ecolution is based in the democratic country Romania, where it owns its own organic hemp fields and processing facility, which operate under fair trade no-sweatshop guidelines. The employees that made this product are paid more than the Romanian average, are given opportunities for advancement within the company, receive medical and pension coverage, and work in a facility that is safe, well-lit, heated, and free of toxic chemicals... Unlike most hemp fabrics, the fabric in this product was processed using a series of fine mechanical combings rather than heavy caustic sodas and acid rinses. Non-chemical processing is environmentally friendly, and preserves the integrity of the hemp fiber, which contributes to a strong and durable fabric... At the end of this product's life, the organic hemp fabric is 100% biodegradable, unlike synthetic fabrics or tanned leather... Ecolution uses environmentally friendly fiber-reactive and plant-based dyes. Fiber-reactive dyes contain no heavy metals or known toxic substances... Plant-based dies, such as Oak, Bilberry, Pansy, and Oregano are sourced locally from Romania, and are fixed using only environmentally friendly mordants such as blue stone, alum, salt, and vinegar. All of Ecolution's buttons are made from natural biodegradable materials such as uninhabited sea shells or tagua nuts that are collected by indigenous peoples from the Amazon rainforest. Even Ecolution's threads are selected only from first world factories that hold Oeko-Tex 100 Standard certificates for environmentally friendly production practices."

Course they do cost 100 US (and if not vegan my shoes would most likely be whatever's cheap at an outlet store), but knowing the type of company being supported and where that money is going makes it almost feel like a donation to an important cause, sorta like ordering from T. J. Scallywaggle's:

http://www.scallywaggles.com/?sec=ourcommitment&PHPSESSID=bb98e9d10662de124aff11d5a492e17f

(course since cutting soy and gluten out of my diet due to food sensitivities it's not something I really get to do anymore. I should ask them if they might consider an alternative flour as optional for those who can't eat wheat. G!d knows I was ordering from them frequently enough.)

Dauer

Yeah, there is a label I buy, I am, I am a label guy.

...and this from a guy who only buys water or 100% fruit juice....no soda..never liked it...but now I do buy Izze for my kids it is 100% fruit juice and 100% water...mixed.

and the other reason that got me to buy...

Besides our common interest in creating high quality beverages and having fun, we at the IZZE Beverage Company also share a strong desire to give back to the community. This is why our company's philanthropic focus is to improve people's lives through education and cultural discovery. By partnering with Global Education Fund, we encourage literacy by providing books and educational opportunities to those in need in fruit growing regions. We also continually support non-profit and artistic events through donations of IZZE Sparkling Juice.

Home

oh the other labels....Juicy Juice...and V-Fusion both 100% fruit and veggie juices... still most juice is juiced in the juicer...

I will confess, I used to be seriously addicted to labels for a couple of years in my 20's. Now bear in mind that was nearly 20 years ago and I used to spend £10,000+ per annum on clothes (also had a real shoe addiction). I know, I was a total twit and am now very ashamed of myself. At one point I moved from a decent flat in Clapham to a grotty bedsit in Golders Green, in order to pay for my addiction. When I came to my senses it took 5 years to pay the credit cards off. I also gave to the local charity shop loads of designer clothes with the price tags still on, I had never even worn them. My stupidity amazes me sometimes.

Dangerous road to go down 17th and I would strongly advise against it.

Hey 17th!!

I have a couple of "stone island" labels I still got left over from when I was selling them a few years back. I can post em to you and you could buy a shirt from poundstretchers and sew it on!! They come with the label buttons so they look the business ;)

I try never to buy anything with "made in China or Indonesia" but that is getting harder and harder. I do buy the odd designer item from a charity shop, but that's all. I am a typical Scot, a spendthrift old meanie :D

I'm not "into" designer labels. I want something that I won't have to worry about being attacked for.

Concerning shoes/boots: I used to have a pair of boots that I paid $145.00 (plus tax) for, and I was able to wear them over 10 years, and the only problem with them was that the right sole wore completely through (actually split across the ball of the shoe through the insole.) The next pair of boots (a "name brand") were about half that and they are ready for the garbage (not even 3 years after getting them!)

I wish I could get another pair of boots like the $145 pair. :(

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I refuse to wear anything which sports a logo. If a company wants me to display it's advertising it should bloody well pay me to be a walking billboard. That said, I do prefer certain brands of power tools and equipment because I know their products are high quality professional grade. But one has to keep up with this stuff because some companies, like Black and Decker for instance, and Craftsman don't live up to their former reputation. The same goes for sports equipment and clothing as well. Levi's aren't what they used to be.

Chris

I must be the only female on the planet that absolutely hates clothes shopping. Because I have 3 boys I buy all the clothes from Lowes (its a mens discount fashion outlet). So I end up wearing Polo shirts and Board Shorts most of the time. Work clothes are different. Company logo etc. But Boardies and t Shirts and Sneakers for me. I have to buy a formal dress soon as my oldest is getting married in December (shock Horror) and Im really not looking forward to that. (the shopping that is not the wedding. ) I wont haggle when I shop. Even when I bought my house I said "thats a fair price, OK SOLD" . I know, I know, I could have saved money, but the less time I waste shopping the better. Thats just me, of course. Love theGrey

Dangerous road to go down 17th and I would strongly advise against it.

But I will look the business :(

And all the cool kids will be all like;

He's a bad mother...
Shut yo mouth...
Just talking aboot 17th...
I can dig it...

Hey 17th!!

I have a couple of "stone island" labels I still got left over from when I was selling them a few years back. I can post em to you and you could buy a shirt from poundstretchers and sew it on!! They come with the label buttons so they look the business ;)

I try never to buy anything with "made in China or Indonesia" but that is getting harder and harder. I do buy the odd designer item from a charity shop, but that's all. I am a typical Scot, a spendthrift old meanie :D

For real? lol.... How did you just get labels? Oh btw... Stone Island stuff is made in Italy ;)

Labels? Yeah.... Oxfam is the one I most often buy :p Though I buy more of my clothes in proper shops now I'm an adult with a salary, rather than a student. Still, charity shops, car boot sales, markets and funky hippy shops are my main stomping ground. Though I did find a cool pair of bright purple trousers in Next last year...

For shoes I swear by Doc Martens. They last for years. And a size 3 actually fits me. In summer I swap them for flip flops. As for leather, I actively look for it in shoes as anything but leather or cloth is so sticky and yucky.

I don't understand the appeal of labels. Good quality is worth paying for, but a name? Why?

For real? lol.... How did you just get labels? Oh btw... Stone Island stuff is made in Italy ;)

I for a while had an associate that provided me with several of the designer labels clothing items. High quality fakes, indistinguishable from the genuine article. As I worked in a place with lots of stupid people (no offence) that were into being free advertising space selling em was easy. The reason I have a couple of labels left is I liked one of the jackets and a jumper but hate the stupid looking buttoned labels. So I took them off.

Impqueen, what hight are you 5'-5'2" ? Size 3 is dainty indeed!! Sure you are not Geisha binding them?

Tao

Back