Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Rudy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fred Thompson.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A different Republican Candidate.

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
I don't believe Kucinich will get any impeachment proceedings off the floor. He'll never get enough democratic support, this is a 'don't rock the boat we have a chance to regain the white house and more seats in congress and senate moment' rocking the boat will be perceived by their policy wonks as looking petty in the eyes of too many swing votin constituents.

As for third parties, I don't know if I ever expect to see a third party elected to President in my lifetime or even my kids. What I do expect is the same as the past. Perot or Ralph Nader get enough votes to cause the two major parties to open their eyes and co-op the most favorable ideas. Perot gave us a balanced budget for a decade, and the green party is changing the way we look at recycling, renewable resources, pollution, etc. Both parties back, and vote for these bills now. I see that continuing, vote for the people who have policies you want enacted even if you don't expect them to win, support them, work with them, campaign for them, get their ideas co-opted.

I still expect Ron Paul to make a showing in the primaries and then shift to the Libertarian Party for the national election....that is where his ideals mostly fit.

May I make a suggestion please. Get the rest of the world to vote too, I think you would end up with a foreigner as President with all the confidence we have in that list of names. :p

I don't believe Kucinich will get any impeachment proceedings off the floor. He'll never get enough democratic support, this is a 'don't rock the boat we have a chance to regain the white house and more seats in congress and senate moment' rocking the boat will be perceived by their policy wonks as looking petty in the eyes of too many swing votin constituents.

You are very probably right. Part of me still thinks that is our problem as apathetic and unengaged citizens--not enough people putting the pressure on through initiatives like the one Kucinich is using with the e-mail thing. But the more realistic and cynical part of me recognizes that this has less to do with citizen apathy than it does with the cynical mechanics of the larger political machinery that is the United States government.

So I find you post slightly depressing, wil, and slightly cynical, yet I do recognize the truth in it. Damn it.

Yay for democracy. Can you see me half-heartedly waving my tattered American flag?

By the way, they gave me an "I voted" sticker on Tuesday when I handed in my ballot. I stuck that sticker on the nearest urinal.

:p :D

... But the more realistic and cynical part of me recognizes that this has less to do with citizen apathy than it does with the cynical mechanics of the larger political machinery that is the United States government.

So I find you post slightly depressing, wil, and slightly cynical, yet I do recognize the truth in it. Damn it.
I see it like this. I vote. I email. I call my representatives. I mail them. They or their staffers are aware of me. Who knows how much they groan. But each of us can be that squeaky wheel that makes a difference, plants the seed, bends the ear. It is possible, why?? Because of the glory that so many are apathetic and prefer to sit on their couch and whine.

Don't you know that is the big secret lobbyists don't want us to know? They have rules and regs due to their millions of dollars and influence. Us little guys causing a ruckus we have the same amount of power, and the power of numbers multiplies that huge, especially in your little local gov't races that are won and lost by a few thousand or a few hundred votes! Oh they want you to pull that lever. Now do I want every apathetic ass to get out and vote, HELL NO, stay at home, don't call, don't email, you don't have the impetus anyway, don't drag them to the polls and water down my capabilities!!

So that is the blessing, the system, it has a path, it has a good ole boy network, it has its muck and mire, and all we need to do is choose to navigate it. I support Kucinich, but his time and his principles are not here yet, but the fact that he is up on that podium, shaking that tree, making impossible proposals, sponsoring bills that will not fly today, puts wind in the sails and plants the seeds of tomorrow.

Don't be depressed, revel in the fact that all can still be accomplished in this democratic republic, the oligarchy does not have a complete foothold when they bow to the whims of the consumer, our dollars and our actions have fueled change, Al Gore didn't invent the internet or global warming but he saw a wave that was pushed by us and he jumped on the surf board and rode it to shore.

Pick a wave.

So, hey Wil...Ron Paul said he wouldn't support the GOP nominee regardless, and the speculation of him mounting an indie campaign after the primaries is revving up with his net roots supporters. I also noticed a couple of blurbs about NYC Mayor Bloomberg mounting an independent try. Seems he's boning up on foreign policy for some reason. Who else is out there with a credible chance of making a significant third Party run?

Chris

Namaste China,

What is unique this run is the duration of the race. Typically some of the third party folks come out of the works early as they don't have the same conventions and primaries as the main guys. When Buchanon and the Natural Law Party fought over the Reform Party that sorta changed in their camps...Reform had meetings in many states to confirm Pat's right to run under that banner while Hagelin and Natural Law went to court over it.

But you'd always know we had Nader, Pat Paulsen, Hagelin and even the Libertarians would announce early. This two year primary race has thrown that into a tizzy because the third party guys used to have some guaranteed free TV via news reports...the two parties have taken that space away.

Interesting Ron won't support the nominee (even if it was he??) So now we don't yet know who is making a move, and probably won't until after the primaries and the names in play are reduced (or some of the also rans are picked up) So other interesting times, as usually the two parties candidates move from the race to get the party votes from opposite poles, they then both fly to the middle to try to get some of the other party and the undecideds. This time it looks like we might have Guliani for the Reps who is already middle or left so he'll have to move right just to insure he keeps some of his party votes and they don't skip to some religious conservative, constitutionalist or libertarian vote.

Long way around to say, I haven't a clue.

Ron Paul said that he won't run as anything else last night, wouldn't go independent....but he is a politician and this should only make his supporters work harder on the nomination and when they demand it later he just may have to accept.

Huckabee had a pretty good answer for the 'Do you believe every word in this book (the bible)?' question. Guliani and Romney answered ok, but Huckabee says there is a lot of allegory, a lot we don't understand, but rather than argue and fight about each word we should just focus on love your neighbor and whatever you've done to my brother you've done to me.

Can't remember what who it was, but when asked about a manned mission to Mars they offered to send Hillary.

The major news outlets are predicting wins in Iowa for Mike Huckabee and Barack Obama, Republican and Democratic, respectively, presidential hopefuls. It looks as though Edwards and Hillary tie for second among the Democrats while Romney, comes in second on the Republican side.

I said this on October ninth of last year, long before the Huckabee surge first popped up on the radar screen
If I were on the Republican side I would take a hard look at Huckabee. He's a former southern governor and that helps. Governors are statistically easier to get elected to POTUS than members of Congress. He's solid with the religious right without being stained by it. He doesn't have the bad baggage and history of taking duplicitous positions that the top three have.

Chris

Send me a dollar and I'll tell your fortune. Heck, just send me a dollar!

Chris

Huckabee's skeletons are already surfacing, I don't believe he'll stand the test of time...if he does he'll be slaughtered by any Democrat nominee.

Wyoming Republican primary is Saturday, before New Hampshire?? Guess a tree falling in the forest doesn't make a sound!!

Hillary, completely called out in Iowa, Edwards spent a pittance of the other two and made a showing! It was the day of the low spending John's, McCaine also kicked butt in the $$/% column on the other side and he is sparring to take the lead in NH. Ron Paul continues his efforts, if we can get him and Bloomberg on third party ballots we'll have a shot of breaking this two party monopoly!

The polarity of the winners is a telling snapshot of American thinking? Obama represents a desperate need for a radical change of tack amongst the majority. Huckabee represents the Christian right and their blind allegiance to anyone who says God a lot. True?

tao

The polarity of the winners is a telling snapshot of American thinking? Obama represents a desperate need for a radical change of tack amongst the majority. Huckabee represents the Christian right and their blind allegiance to anyone who says God a lot. True?
Yes and no and sort of.

This isn't America, this is Iowa. 10% of Iowa that is. 20% of the voters in Iowa. Huckabee, nearby state and yes he got the vocal Evangelists to show up, early lead, I predict he'll tire or we'll tire before the end of the race. As far as Obama goes, he's right next door (Illinois and Iowa) and most of the voting public are in those cities right near that border.

But the heartland voting for a black man over a woman and a white man that campaigned there for the past 4 years...that speaks volumes. As far as a voice for change, I don't see him as that, but it is what he is selling.

Check out this page, scroll down and look at county by county. Appears Huckabee got the country and Romney got most of the population centers... Democrats looks like campaign bus focus... I'd love to see a map of their campaign stops and see if there is any correlation. Oops, found a map and I don't see anything that helps!

Obama represents a desperate need for a radical change of tack amongst the majority.

Hillary mentioned change numerous times while she was in NH today, so it appears other candidates want to ride the change movement which Barack Obama is leading. The crowds that Hillary and Obama drew displayed two generation gaps. Obama represents the new America and Hillary represents the old ideals and politics which is the old America. It must of been a suprise for Hillary when discovered that many of the younger women voted for Obama in Iowa :)p).

As far as a voice for change, I don't see him as that, but it is what he is selling.

Why not? I see Obama as a voice for change in that he brings people together. Barack Obama is international, such as his popularity with various people outside the U.S. and the family background which he has, and foreigners around the world would like him.

My sense of the conventional wisdom out of talking head central is that Huck helps McCain by leaching some of the starch out of Mitt's sails. Many top tier liberal bloggers and other semi-professional pundits seem to agree that Mitt is easier to run against than McCain regardless the Dem choice come convention time. I'm personally relieved that Hillary to a whoopin'. Barack's alright, I'd prefer Edwards.

Chris

From what very little I've seen (and trust me it is a little) Obama seems to be offering change and a new beginning. The others are just more of the same (or worse). I only hope that if he does get in that it's genuine and he's able to bring about fundamental changes. Tony Blair once seemed to offer change and a new beginning for the UK but look what happened to that. :(

So America, if you want the rest of the world to view you once again as progressive and co-operative (led by a person with integrity) then please do what seems the right thing. America is currently viewed with at least suspicion and at worst outright hostility all around the globe because of its recent "foreign policies."

s.

Anyone see the debates on TV last night? It seems the Republicans are still using the ol politics of fear. Nothing changes for these guys and to make matters worse they seem completely out of touch with the American Worker. Look what they say about health care. According to Rudy, the problem is that enough Americans aren't buying individual health policies.
Is he kidding? The average blue-collar worker simply can't swing it. I'm a skilled worker in the HVAC industry but I simply can't handle payments of 1300.00 or better a month for health care.

Now that Hillary has lost the 'given' aspect of her campaign the course will be interesting. Obama looks to get NH tomorrow and South Carolina, this is incredibly significant, putting him as the front runner will allow the spotlight to shine and open up the gates of investigative reporting and campaigning. He's been tiptoed around so far, being our first black candidate. But as he takes the lead in a few rounds the gloves will come off, and we'll see the true nature of American politics. If Hillary and Obama go at it hard enough and Edwards plays his cards right he could slip in.

On the other side of the aisle tis completely an open race. McCain is the dark horse and making waves.

All around going to be an interesting few months. I cleaned up on our first weeks office primary pool. Had the lead coming out of Iowa, but left everyone in the dust after the Wyoming convention.

Next week we've got Michigan, Nevada and South Carolina Republicans...working our way toward super Tuesday!

Back