Christianity - what do you really think about it?

No, Jews are supposed to follow all 613 laws of their religion. The laws were given to the Jewish people to follow, not for everyone. The only code of conduct specified for gentiles is the Noahide laws. The Jewish religion is different than other religions in that there's not a universal code of conduct that every human has to follow to be considered righteous.

No, Jews are supposed to follow all 613 laws of their religion. The laws were given to the Jewish people to follow, not for everyone. The only code of conduct specified for gentiles is the Noahide laws. The Jewish religion is different than other religions in that there's not a universal code of conduct that every human has to follow to be considered righteous.
There are plenty, (most??) Jews that feel the 613 and all the nuance surrounding them are overkill in today's world and had application at one time or maybe not at all (ie metaphor and analogy vs. literal readings) However the priests spent centuries debating each law and its many ramifications and created many books to codify and clarify them. ie you can turn things off but not on, you can start cooking prior and finish when served, the whole shabot goy thing, and today they continue to get updated with the use of timers, and whether or not shaving is work...

But with the variety of Jews out there it is only the Orthodox as far as I know that strive to follow all 613...and what are we talking...10%??

There are plenty, (most??) Jews that feel the 613 and all the nuance surrounding them are overkill in today's world and had application at one time or maybe not at all (ie metaphor and analogy vs. literal readings)

I don't dispute that. I'm speaking more theoretically.

islamis4u said:
look im not saying that torah is a book of science but the verses which are their in torah should be compatible with the science. Im not misrepresenting what it says...
they are compatible with science. they're just not talking about it in the way you suggest. you're not comparing apples with apples, you're comparing apples with aircraft. would you use the score of a piece of music to help you repair your car?

Which Qura'n scholars say that Qura'n is not "GOD'S actual speech?
that's not what i said. i said that a large number of Qur'an scholars do not agree with you that it is obvious what the Qur'an means.

Its clearly saying that in simple english that seed bearing plants i know its not talking about photosynthesis so please i think your english is worst then mine....
but the Torah is not *in* english. it's in hebrew. i don't think you know biblical hebrew. and, like i said elsewhere, it may make a statement, but that is not 100% of the story. let me ask you a question in return to try and show you what i mean. does it tell you in the Qur'an how to get married?

again allegations and not replying and running out of the points, you have only one answer 'you don't know torah works'
well, that's quite important, you know. if you asked me to explain, say, why nusrat fateh ali khan's qawwali vocals are so good, but i was only allowed to use a piece of paper and the rules of western orchestras to do so, it would be just as difficult.

my weak point is ma english you know you just make things complex
that's because they *are* complex. i can't give you simple answers to these questions because they're not simple questions. i really do want to help, because you seem like an intelligent sort of bloke, but you're coming to these questions with too many preconceptions, like you already know the answers and you're just looking for ways to justify them to yourself. you're talking about a "vision to spread islam" but you don't really seem to understand that islam is a lot more complicated than you think. i, as a mu'ameen and a member of the ahl-e qitab have already, as far as i understand it, made islam to G!D. i just haven't done it using the Qur'an or muhammad. however, muslims have been an important part of my journey. it was a group of muslims that showed me what it is like to really love G!D with one's heart as well as one's head. i needed to learn that before i could find out how to do that in a jewish way, although i was already Commanded by G!D to do so.

b'shalom

bananabrain

they are compatible with science. they're just not talking about it in the way you suggest. you're not comparing apples with apples, you're comparing apples with aircraft. would you use the score of a piece of music to help you repair your car?
where i compare it ? irrelevant answers

that's not what i said. i said that a large number of Qur'an scholars do not agree with you that it is obvious what the Qur'an means.
i also not said that i said who said i did not said that majority agree or minority agree to your points......

but the Torah is not *in* english. it's in hebrew. i don't think you know biblical hebrew. and, like i said elsewhere, it may make a statement, but that is not 100% of the story. let me ask you a question in return to try and show you what i mean. does it tell you in the Qur'an how to get married?
i also know that maybe you should remember that i already said that it was in Hebrew i never said its in English but for a lay man who do not know Hebrew he or she have to refer to English translation its the only source and it is translation so its what it means in Hebrew okay!!!!
May be you do not have answers and start getting irrelevant questions i know it happens when you do not know answers, may be it will help its in quran:
“And among His Signs is this that He created for you spouses from amongst yourselves, that you may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.” (Quran 30:21)
and for more precise we have hadith which is as authentic as Quran...

well, that's quite important, you know. if you asked me to explain, say, why nusrat fateh ali khan's qawwali vocals are so good, but i was only allowed to use a piece of paper and the rules of western orchestras to do so, it would be just as difficult.
i don't know what are you trying to prove from this example.... other then trying to impress me that you may be know urdu ur may be listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, for your kindest information it Qawali is not allowed in Islam.....

you're talking about a "vision to spread islam" but you don't really seem to understand that islam is a lot more complicated than you think. i, as a mu'ameen and a member of the ahl-e qitab have already, as far as i understand it, made islam to G!D.
First thing its my site moto which i used here and i would say its my also.... seond thing that Islam is not complicated i know its very very simple, its only you who is trying to make it complex...... You cannot be made in Islam until and unless you believe in Muhammad (PBUH) as last prophet... i Thanks Allah SWT i do....

I consider that something of a fine distinction, personally, looking at it from neither perspective. Either view would account him blessed of God.

That was really my point, he is considered a very loved and respected Prophet by Muslims.

The earliest primary source that speaks of Jesus would be the Bible. I'm not sure I would account something written 650 years later as being a more accurate account, speaking on a historical basis.

I wasn't talking of accounts in the Quran but of the development of the teachings of Jesus (pbuh) into a book. The fact that only 4 gospels were selected out of so many leaves me wondering where the rest of the story is.

There are always difficulties translating from one language to another. Sometimes one Greek word means many things depending on context.

Without doubt, half of the discussions I have about Islam come down to language difficulties, you simply cannot translate Arabic well enough into English. All of our studies are based on dead languages and translations of them, perhaps something is lost in translation?

It's more intricate than that for Christians, because they hold this mysterious belief that God is one and three at the same time. It doesn't make much sense to me.

I accept that and it still a mystery to me despite nearly 40 years as a Christian. I do speak to Christians who believe there are 3 separate entities and others that see it as 3 in 1 ..... I just don't get it personally.

All religions are inevitably used to control the people.

Yes I agree with you completely.

Christians have equivalent worries about Muslims.

Indeed I hear it said quite often particularly as I left what they see as the right path to join a different faith. I have always said the Day of Judgement will filled with a lot of confused faces and many sounds of "well I never expected that".

Jews don't worry about it too much since non-Jews only have to follow a few simple laws anyway.

Perhaps that explains why they have such a fabulous sense of humour when it comes to faith?

It's not that he abdicated...it goes back to the 'mystery' of the trinity.

To me there would have to be a degree of abdication, to go from "worship only Me" to "you can't get to Me without going through this other part of Me" sounds like a degree of abdication .... although I do confess to total mental blindness where the trinity is concerned.

Back