How Masculine or Feminine Are You?

Pathless

Fiercely Interdependent
Reaction score
This is a pretty crap "PhD Certified" gender test from tickle.com:

Your Gender Identity Test - Tickle Personality Tests

I've taken it twice, once three or four months ago and once just now. My scores were 86% feminine and 85% feminine, respectively, for a grand average of 85.5% feminine, according to stereotypical ideas of what is "feminine" and "masculine".

So, who else is gender deviant? Any "real men" or "real women" out there?

61% feminine, 39% masculine. More masculine than most women.

LOL I believe it. Maybe that's why most people initially mistake me for a guy on this board?

I was raised very androgynously, so this makes sense. I was raised in a family of women, for the most part, but very independent, outspoken, and determined women. :D And I grew up fishing, hiking, camping, etc. with my dad. I tend to be very comfortable with men, and my husband is my best friend now. Many women actually make me uncomfortable. Well, not so much uncomfortable as bored. I can never get on board with the endless discussion about everyone in the world (especially celebrities, who I'm somehow supposed to remember by their first names, as if I know these people) and the initimate details of their lives (pregnancies, marriages, divorces, etc). I just can't seem to care. I like discussing religion, politics, and so forth... maybe that just makes me a strange American and has nothing to do with gender? LOL

Oh really? I withheld my results for a while. I wasn't sure what to say.

you're 63% feminine

This is based on how you scored on a variety of traits that, founded on classic research and our own studies, are typically associated with women.

You're also 37% masculine, which is based on how you scored on traits that are typically associated with men. When we compare your results with other men it shows that you are somewhat more feminine than other men.

I might be a rather quiet and reserved guy in real-life but that doesn't mean I'm feminine. I just have a different way of expressing my masculinity, or perhaps, I don't express it at all.

I tried to answer the questions in a way to show that I was a man, but either there is something wrong with me or this test is . . . you know . . . ^&()(&(*&^$#^&*!!!! While I was answering the questions and after I got the results, it seemed that many of the questions referred more to a local culture than universal, worldwide masculinity/femininity. Someone taking the test in France, India, Japan or Iran might find themselves more like the opposite sex!!!

LOL I believe it. Maybe that's why most people initially mistake me for a guy on this board?

I was raised very androgynously, so this makes sense. I was raised in a family of women, for the most part, but very independent, outspoken, and determined women. :D

Who said independence, outspokenness and determination are traits of masculinity? There is a way in which women assert themselves and pursue their agenda that is still arguably, feminine. Traditionally this was the domain for men, but since the feminine spirit was liberated, we've been seeing a different kind of assertiveness.

And I grew up fishing, hiking, camping, etc. with my dad. I tend to be very comfortable with men, and my husband is my best friend now. Many women actually make me uncomfortable. Well, not so much uncomfortable as bored. I can never get on board with the endless discussion about everyone in the world (especially celebrities, who I'm somehow supposed to remember by their first names, as if I know these people) and the initimate details of their lives (pregnancies, marriages, divorces, etc). I just can't seem to care. I like discussing religion, politics, and so forth...

Oh ok, maybe you are a bit less feminine than most. You grew up a tomboy.:D

maybe that just makes me a strange American and has nothing to do with gender? LOL

Yes . . . American. Hmmmm. Something I'm not . . . maybe this test wasn't meant for me? Maybe it's another one of those . . . Americanisms.:eek:

American man's dream? American woman's dream? American man's hobby? American woman's hobby?

Golf and fishing? . . . well . . . This is a small country I live in. We don't have those things. Most men here just go to do pub or hang out with "mates" and have a beer or two or eat meat pies and sausage rolls. . . . or play soccer and football with mates . . . or watch football and cricket on weekends. Religion and politics? Again it's a small country. We're not a superpower like the U.S.

:D I'm starting to wonder if anyone out there is mostly masculine. LOL

As for me, I was mostly joking around. I think it's pretty contested what masculine and feminine is in the US, much less globally (arguably, there ain't no such thing, since each culture defines what it is to be a man and a woman). I was trying to get at that I think the test kind of assigns that "socially outspoken, active, impatient, decisive" to men and "passive, peacemaking, reserved" to women. Which doesn't really work, because all that is kind of in flux right now in the US anyway. I don't think there's that much that defines each gender at this point. Even my contractor-carpenter hubby is a sensitive guy, quite reserved, very artistic, and a total romantic. And I'm all those things but I'm also pretty into outdoorsy activities, I'm outspoken, and I love good debate. We're more like each other than either "gender" distinction, and I'd be willing to bet that others find the same thing. (Conversely, I know quite a few couples that are mutually interested in celebrities' lives, shopping, etc.)

Maybe it's more a class thing in the US. Both my husband and I came from that working class background and I notice that seems to be more distinctive than gender when we get together with other couples. I get along great with most other working class women, who I've often found to be really into either crafts and arts/domestic stuff or alternatively outdoorsy stuff. It's all the women into shopping and name brand stuff, the celebrities, etc. that I just don't "get." I don't know if I'm a tomboy, or what. I mean, I see as many women hikers as men, and know more environmental scientists and field anthropologists who are women at this point. And women are something like 80% of the horseback riders in the US. So I'm not in the minority.

I think maybe it's that "ideal" (i.e., what we think men/women are) vs. "real" (how we actually behave).

You too Bob? All of us so far have got at least 60% feminine. Let me guess. Either the machine is wrong (** Kicking it just in case **) or we're all more feminine than masculine.

I didn't get very far when it looked like I had to sign up for yet another something or other...can you do it without entering? But as I read the questions, I could see I was already leaning to the feminine side. More of a turn the other cheek and forgiveness type, I'm not looking to fight as a typical response...wonder what Jesus or Gandhi or Buddha would list out at??

But beyond that, they asked your gender at the beginning, interesting I thought, and wondered if the result would be different if one started out claiming female?

wonder what Jesus or Gandhi or Buddha would list out at???

Bunch of girly poofters.. lol.....

First thought process that runs through my head to resolve issues is to break the other persons nose :D Most of the questions had an answer for me such as the road rage one lol...

Mate just put random crap in the fields mine read something like

Mr £$!!£413434 134134134
9 1413413413414fgfsdg
sggsgsgsd t4rwjgtwrgt
rwjtwjrtwt
1ww ww1

that is my name and address apparently lol...

I can never get on board with the endless discussion about everyone in the world (especially celebrities, who I'm somehow supposed to remember by their first names, as if I know these people) and the initimate details of their lives (pregnancies, marriages, divorces, etc). I just can't seem to care.

Oh Gawd, me neither. I can't even keep up with what is going on with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Why would I care about Anna Nicole Smith's funeral and bastard child or if Paris Hilton traded in her chihuahua for a new, younger, and cuter specimen?

My upbringing was kind of screwy. I was that weird kid that spent a lot of time alone, brooding. Both my parents worked a lot and my mom kind of 'wore the pants' in the family. I have an older sister, too, so maybe that factors into my gender stuff a bit, yet I think she is more of a boy than I am in many ways.

I've tended to be friends with and appreciate independent, wilfull women. I would much rather sit on the couch under a blanket with my cat on my lap, reading a book, than watch sports and throw peanuts at the television. I'm not sure what that says about me. I like crafts and lots of color. I hate to admit it, but I have a weak spot for fashion. Most importantly for me, though, I relate to the nurturing aspect of what is culturally considered "feminine." Kids are fun, and so are good conversations over coffee. I love the exuberance and delight that often accompanies a room full of chatting women, and I think it is amazing that women are able to relate in this way.

I dislike phones. Go figure.

I think a lot of gender is cultural and stereotyped. Thanks, Path, for opening the door to discussing those ideas. I'd like to hear more about what gender means to others.

Namaste,
Pathless

:D I'm starting to wonder if anyone out there is mostly masculine. LOL

Yes ..... me!! :eek:

I am 58% Masculine - OMG I a chap in drag.

Not really a big surprise though, I have always had a more male than female brain. :eek:

19% feminine 81% masculine which I think is probably a pretty accurate stab at the fact. My take on any such discussion is always the same. The sexes are far more alike than disalike and its splitting hairs to try and divide them.

Tao

I can't seem to persuade it to let me sign up to take the test...

Reading salty's comments about golf and fishing immediately negates the test - it is clearly not culture-fair; what about countries where such pastimes are not available?

In fact reading other posts generally, this so-called test seems to have about as much validity as well, something with bugger-all validity. So all you gender-deviants out there relax! (I bet I would have come out as a cross- dressing, sheep-worrying, auto-eroticist.)

s.

47% feminine,
53% masculine...

i'll go with that...

seem to depend more on whether or not you had come down out of the trees...lol...steady!:D

Sg, you're 46% masculine

androgynous_f_s.gif

This is based on how you scored on a variety of traits that, founded on classic research and our own studies, are typically associated with men.

You're also 54% feminine, which is based on how you scored on traits that are typically associated with women. When we compare your results with other women it shows that you are somewhat more masculine than other women.

But what is gender identity exactly? A person's gender identity is defined by the extent to which they see themselves as masculine or feminine. Every person possesses both masculine and feminine qualities to some degree, however the extent to which each person has these qualities differs widely. While you were taking the test, we calculated your scores in 6 areas typically defined as masculine and 6 areas typically defined as feminine.

Just about the outcome I expected...

you're 48% feminine

This is based on how you scored on a variety of traits that, founded on classic research and our own studies, are typically associated with women.

You're also 52% masculine, which is based on how you scored on traits that are typically associated with men. When we compare your results with other men it shows that you are somewhat more feminine than other men.

But what is gender identity exactly? A person's gender identity is defined by the extent to which they see themselves as masculine or feminine. Every person possesses both masculine and feminine qualities to some degree, however the extent to which each person has these qualities differs widely. While you were taking the test, we calculated your scores in 6 areas typically defined as masculine and 6 areas typically defined as feminine.

flow....:p

Back