There is no such thing as 'Free Will'

I don't get the connection. :confused:

If it was even logically possible that two opposite decisions about making a choice could be made by the same person at exactly the same time, the result would most certainly be no choice at all.

The truth of the matter is that we could not have chosen any differenty that we did choose at the split second that we actually made the choice because we were acting on the reasons why we preferred that choice the MOST.

"therefore contrary choice or “free" will not only does not exist but cannot exist."

Drum roll, please....

And this, Mr. Tutt, is precisely the reason why you are not able to comprehend the fact that people have free will. You are assuming that everything in life is entirely LOGICAL, LINEAR, and STRAIGHTFORWARD. What you are unable to comprehend (and as you are a man who claims to be 71 years old, I am absolutely amazed at this) is that life is not a math equation.

A person can't make two conflicting decisions in the same moment? Because it's not logically possible? This isn't a physics experiment, Rodger; it's the human condition we're talking about.

So yeah, as long as one is living in a fantasy land where there is no irrational behaviour, then I can see where they'd think there's no free will.

But for those of us who live on Earth, there is.

Just repeating things with an authoritative emphasis over and over and over and over and over and over and over does not make them become true.
We all get that you believe it,
but none of us are buying it.
You have cited the volume of discussion as proof of its popularity yet everyone here has taken a shot at reasoning with you and then left in dismay.
Myself, I am beginning to think I am having a conversation with an automaton as you just keep repeating the same old shtick over and over and over.
Don't you get that.
Or do you just plug your ears and go LALALALALALA.

All work and no play makes Rodger a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Rodger a dull boy....

"Free" will is an illusion.

Causality has always been true.

Choices never get made for no reason, even if the only reason is to commit ourself to a random choice, like flipping a coin.

It is the reason that we prefer one choice over another that causes us to make that choice.

It is not possible to have made any other choice but the one we deemed MOST preferable to make at that split-second in time.
A second before, or a second after, there may have been a reason why we would not make that choice due to considerations that were non-existent when we actually did make the choice.
But at that split-second in time, when we actually did make the choice, it was the ONLY possible choice we could have made.

Here is how James Coram puts it:
"In any certain moment, either we have a given preference (and consequently effect a corresponding choice and action) or we do not.

We cannot have a new preference while our old preference still exists.
Nor can we make a new choice while we still have an old preference.
For the act of choosing is merely the exercise of existing preference.

One cannot prefer what is not yet preferable.
Yet when it becomes preferable it is preferred."

"therefore contrary choice or “free" will not only does not exist but cannot exist."

A person can't make two conflicting decisions in the same moment? Because it's not logically possible? This isn't a physics experiment, Rodger; it's the human condition we're talking about.

"In any certain moment, either we have a given preference (and consequently effect a corresponding choice and action) or we do not.

You are repeating yourself again Rodger.
We got you the first couple of dozen times.
Can you say something new now.....please.
Surely you do not suffer from Alzheimers ......do you?

Repeating the same answer to all questions does not make it a worthy answer, it just makes people look at the display as a pathetic attempt to spread propaganda.

Repeating the same answer to all questions does not make it a worthy answer,

IMO my "same answer" renders all counter-arguments on this thread irrelevant.

I shall continue to repeat my position until someone can present me with an argument that proves it wrong.

Choices never get made for no reason, even if the only reason is to commit ourself to a random choice, like flipping a coin.

It is the reason that we prefer one choice over another that causes us to make that choice.

It is not possible to have made any other choice but the one we deemed MOST preferable to make at that split-second in time.
A second before, or a second after, there may have been a reason why we would not make that choice due to considerations that were non-existent when we actually did make the choice.
But at that split-second in time, when we actually did make the choice, it was the ONLY possible choice we could have made.

IMO my "same answer" renders all counter-arguments on this thread irrelevant.

I shall continue to repeat my position until someone can present me with an argument that proves it wrong.
WOW, a truly hopeless case.
Really pathetic.

OK, so....

Practical application question:

What now?

From what I see I am understanding you to say G-d willfully created all that is good, sacred, righteous and lovely as well as all that is evil, profane, unrighteous and ugly.

In the most vague and remote sense I can possibly agree. For instance, I can agree G-d created the devil...but where I lose the concept is in wrapping my head around G-d making the devil do what the devil does. Is G-d responsible, ultimately, for what the devil does, having created the devil? Perhaps...of course I'm not in any position to judge G-d. But it also remains that the father is not responsible for what the son does after the son has reached the age of accountablity and the age of consent.

Put another way, Dr. Frankenstein created a monster, but he could not control what the monster did. Was Frankenstein guilty for the actions of the monster? In some sense I would say "yes," but not in every sense. And could that monster achieve the ages of accountability (understanding of right and wrong) and consent (time to leave the nest), then the monster would be fully accountable in its own right, absolving Dr. Frankenstein of any further responsibility.

So I understand you to believe G-d knew He was creating the devil, created the devil, then willed the devil to be evil. Is this correct?

If so, then why did G-d banish the devil from heaven for doing what He willed the devil to do?

It seems to me that would be like teaching your son to rob banks...and then disowning that same son because he became a bank robber. Seems to me in that case the fault lies with the father...no?

If what you say is true, it seems to me then that G-d is guilty; directly, completely and without recourse, for all of the evil He warns His children against.

Which means either G-d is a liar, and the father of lies...or what you are preaching is a lie.

I know which side I have cast my lot with... ;)

If what you say is true, it seems to me then that G-d is guilty; directly, completely and without recourse, for all of the evil He warns His children against.

"Guilty" is the wrong word to use.
God is 100% responsible for the existence of evil and also for how much each person becomes involved in it. But being responsible for it He Himself does not sin.

It is God's decretive will (that which MUST occur) that because we are all sinners by nature and cannot help but sin (which means miss the mark) because we are spiritually "dead in trespasses and sin," we will all violate His preceptive (not perceptive) will (that which we OUGHT to do) e.g. THE GOLDEN RULE as much as we actually do.
See Romans 3:10-18 (everyone without exception)

God justly imposes accountability on everyone even though they cannot help but do what they do, because through His intimate sovereign control of how far He lets everyone get involved in sinning and suffering (until He intervenes for each one by His sovereign grace) God is going to manifest, and glorify, and magnify the many facets of His character in a way that is uniquely applied to each individual.

The idea that it would not be "right" for God to hold us accountable for doing what we could not help but do is merely an ethical opinion that is rendered irrelevant by the irrefutable fact that WE ALWAYS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, CHOOSE IN THE DIRECTION OF THE STRONGEST INFLUENCE, ALL OF THE TIME.

God will eventually fit every unique individual into His master plan in a positive way that necessitates their unique temporary involvement in evil and suffering that will enable God to manifest, and glorify, and magnify the many facets of His character in a way that uniquely involves that person, and everyone else involved in that person’s life too.

Then, after God has finished using evil and suffering for the reasons why He allowed them to temporarily exist, He will eradicate them from existence.
THE PURPOSE OF EVIL
evil.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Allow me to clarify my understanding...
Being responsible for sin, G-d does not sin?
Is that not a contradiction?

No it is not a contradiction.
God cannot sin.
Everything that God does is right.
And one of the things He does is be responsible for, and perfectly controls evil.
See THE SOURCE OF SIN
biblical studies: The Problem Of Evil - Part One - Chapter Two - The Source Of Sin

God will eventually transform all evil into something better for everyone that it temporarily prevailed.
THE PURPOSE OF EVIL
evil.html

No it is not a contradiction.
God cannot sin.

Now wait a minute...you are the one saying all along that G-d wills people to sin, and that He is the father of sin by creating sin, and that He is responsible for sin...yet He cannot sin??? Mind you, I am only applying your words to their inevitable conclusion...a conclusion I disagree with. :)

Now wait a minute...you are the one saying all along that G-d wills people to sin, and that He is the father of sin by creating sin, and that He is responsible for sin...yet He cannot sin??? Mind you, I am only applying your words to their inevitable conclusion...a conclusion I disagree with. :)

God wants sin to temporarily exist for wise ends.
God is 100% responsible for the existence of evil and also for how much each person becomes involved in it. But being responsible for it He Himself does not sin.

See THE SOURCE OF SIN
biblical studies: The Problem Of Evil - Part One - Chapter Two - The Source Of Sin

It is God's decretive will (that which MUST occur) that because we are all sinners by nature and cannot help but sin (which means miss the mark) because we are spiritually "dead in trespasses and sin," we will all violate His preceptive (not perceptive) will (that which we OUGHT to do) e.g. THE GOLDEN RULE as much as we actually do.

God justly imposes accountability on everyone even though they cannot help but do what they do, because through His intimate sovereign control of how far He lets everyone get involved in sinning and suffering (until He intervenes for each one by His sovereign grace) God is going to manifest, and glorify, and magnify the many facets of His character in a way that is uniquely applied to each individual.

The idea that it would not be "right" for God to hold us accountable for doing what we could not help but do is merely an ethical opinion that is rendered irrelevant by the irrefutable fact that WE ALWAYS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, CHOOSE IN THE DIRECTION OF THE STRONGEST INFLUENCE, ALL OF THE TIME.

God will eventually fit every unique individual into His master plan in a positive way that necessitates their unique temporary involvement in evil and suffering that will enable God to manifest, and glorify, and magnify the many facets of His character in a way that uniquely involves that person, and everyone else involved in that person’s life too.

Then, after God has finished using evil and suffering for the reasons why He allowed them to temporarily exist, He will eradicate them from existence.
THE PURPOSE OF EVIL
evil.html

Bringing my main arguments in support of the subject title of this thread forward to page 70.

God wants sin to temporarily exist for wise ends.

See THE SOURCE OF SIN

THE PURPOSE OF EVIL
evil.html
Stop using God blessed links to try and make your point. You are getting as bad as someone else who refused to express themselves with their own words, and this is getting old...

You speak your mind. You talk to us. You express your views. Or God bless you, we will ask you to go away. I personally don't want your links; just your thoughts.

I think the rules here at IO are pretty close to the same...

v/r

Q

Stop using God blessed links to try and make your point. You are getting as bad as someone else who refused to express themselves with their own words, and this is getting old...
You speak your mind. You talk to us. You express your views. Or God bless you, we will ask you to go away. I personally don't want your links; just your thoughts.
I think the rules here at IO are pretty close to the same...
v/r Q

Most of the words are my own.

But sometimes others can say what I want to say better than I can it myself. That is why I guide people to what others say about the subject.

I did not start this thread, but I agree with its subject title.
There is no such thing as 'Free Will'
Don't know why Azure24 left the thread, do you?

Don't know why Azure24 left the thread, do you?

My guess would be that he spoke his peace and went on to other matters.

I don't have any problem with you speaking your own mind in the matter, and a link here and there for others to look at *if* they have an interest, such as researching a matter of history is OK. Where we have some difficulty, and I am respectfully requesting you to refrain, is for people posting and reposting links to sites that are specifically intended to recruit or proselytise.

Frankly, I have not looked at any of your links, and have no intention of doing so. It is not that I haven't considered the matter, or even of politeness. I am not interested because I have already considered the matter, deeply and prayerfully, and came to a different conclusion.

I do respect that you may not have come to the same conclusion as I have, and that is OK. I would encourage you to actually write out your own thoughts on the matter though rather than posting link after link after link and simply repeating *the exact same line* over and over as if we didn't hear the first time or that repetition will somehow create converts.

If the thoughts are indeed your own, how about expanding on them without repeating yourself?

Back