Has CR changed you?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to put this. If some mod has a better idea, total permission to shuffle it on over there.

From another thread/post the comment was that the poster had grown from playing here on the forum.

How about you?

I often look back at ten years ago, twenty years ago and think of what a self serving ignorant ass I was back then. And then I ponder whether in twenty years I'll look back on today and see the same.

I can say I absolutely appreciate my time here. Being exposed to such a variety of thought on seriously such an intimate level, at truly sometimes beyond the edge of decorum...but always finding a way back to discussion is incredible.

Oh, you know it baby.. I was just saying to SG, look back to your very first post.. Take a peep my brothers and sisters, as you read you begin to see how much you have grown.. I couldn't possibly imagine one person... (apart from pathless just to get me!) that would say no, because around this circle, this magic circle there are so many ideas, rules, cultures, ways, traditions, and they all stem from one thing and are striving to get to the same place picking up as many as they can along the way... And when you are around people like that wisdom flowers and knowledge grows, even if you do not understand or believe or completley "get it" you still should leave here with a smile and a skip in your step because you have just been given like this special feed to make you grow... Heh... In my opinion.

I think I've learned to be a lot more tolerant of fundamentalists and I've come to realize that they too come in many different flavors.

I think I've learned to be a lot more tolerant of fundamentalists and I've come to realize that they too come in many different flavors.
Yes there is that. I don't even think tolerant is the word for me anymore. I've been given the chance here to understand where they are coming from, and while it may not be my cup of tea, and I don't totally grock it, I accept it, and can gain from their knowledge and belief.

Nope, cant say i have grown at all. I'm still exactly 6' tall.

I just tried a search of when i made my first post here but record seems not to go back that far but think it was about 3 years ago. Not a lot of time to change really.

What I can say is there are people here I have grown a goodly respect for, and who entertain, amuse, educate and inspire me with their posts. There are a few once regular posters who I miss, with a depth that surprises me. There are a very few that annoy me but as they also challenge me in their own ways they are as valuable to me as anyone. But what really makes this place special to me is that the whole is much bigger than the sum parts. Its what everybody contributes that makes it special.

And while i think about it...our host has not been seen by me for some time....

Brian! (monty python mother of brian impersonation) Brian!!

Tao, try searching for posts by you that are older than a year ago.

Yes there is that. I don't even think tolerant is the word for me anymore. I've been given the chance here to understand where they are coming from, and while it may not be my cup of tea, and I don't totally grock it, I accept it, and can gain from their knowledge and belief.

There is that. And some of the solidly Christian folks welcomed me in a way that was such a relief from some of what I'd experienced in person... it gave me a renewed sense of faith in the body of believers (as opposed to God alone). It called me back to trying to (at least some times) worship collectively at church. It was a great gift.

I've grown a lot- some from other sources than CR, but CR is a great place I found to generate questions, to ponder, to learn from other traditions (I've had some wonderful ah-ha moments from the Judaism forum and contributions that impacted my Christianity a ton). I find it such a gift to share with others such a deeply central part of my life, and in such an intimate way.

I think that the process of writing to forums such as this over the last ten years has helped me burn through a lot of superficialities and refine my interests. The downside is that there are fewer and fewer topics at the pedestrian level that I'm willing to spend the energy on engaging in. And it's getting harder and harder to find the words to share what I'm actually thinking about. I wonder more and more what I'm doing here.

Chris

...The downside is that there are fewer and fewer topics at the pedestrian level that I'm willing to spend the energy on engaging in.

And it's getting harder and harder to find the words to share what I'm actually thinking about...
You mean gossip at the water cooler, arguing who has the best whatever sport record for the weekend, is all getting old??

And your thoughts exceed your vocabulary?

I think those are both great attributes.

The great irony is that the more I succeed in leaving affectation behind the more aloof and obtuse I appear to others. I imagine that they think that I must think myself grandly superior, when in fact I am more and more humbled by the increasing realization of my own ignorance. I imagine at some point I'll lose the ability to offer more than grunts and whistles.

Chris

And while i think about it...our host has not been seen by me for some time....

Brian! (monty python mother of brian impersonation) Brian!!

Still around, checking, but rarely posting - punishing work schedule.

Funny - when I originally laid the groundwork for CR, I thought how great it would be to mix with spiritual - or, at least, open-minded or liberal people of faith, and learn from the process.

The bigger CR grew, though, the more I had to go into "admin" mode, spent time sorting stuff out, and the less spiritual food I was able to nourish myself with.

Maybe comes from running a business as well. Feel like a tree in winter.

The great irony is that the more I succeed in leaving affectation behind the more aloof and obtuse I appear to others. I imagine that they think that I must think myself grandly superior, when in fact I am more and more humbled by the increasing realization of my own ignorance. I imagine at some point I'll lose the ability to offer more than grunts and whistles.

Chris

I feel for you, Chris. People have told my husband I'm wierd, odd, and boring. :eek: That's what I get for being a big nerd and into religion, politics, and science.

What makes me really sad is people have said they think I believe myself to be superior, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. I really believe I can learn from every person and I'm intensely interested in what other people (everyone, anyone) thinks about most stuff (ethics, religion, politics, whatever). But the combination of my intense interest, my nerdy activities, and my tendency to be quite reserved in large groups (I can't help it- I'm an introvert) means I come across all wrong to people. The lack of my capacity to gossip, know much about celebrities' lives, or have any interest in fashion means that I'm typically seen as even more boring and odd by women than men.

And now I'm increasingly on a kick where everything amazes me in life. I walk to work looking up into the trees, and I'm fascinated by the form and color. I fascinated by the birds that hang out on the sidewalk. I could hang out and literally watch grass grow at times. I talk to the homeless people- I actually have had a few good conversations. Before long I will go from being pegged as eccentric and boring (and oddly enough, either overly religious or wantonly wild and unchurched, depending on who you ask)... to totally insane.

I figure it could be worse... At least my family accepts me as I am. They even like me.

People have told my husband I'm wierd, odd, and boring. That's what I get for being a big nerd and into religion, politics, and science.
I was under the impression that everyone is into these things. The main difference is that some spend more time reflecting and talking about them.

You seem very warm and affable to me Kim, like the sister I wish I had.

Chris

Thanks, Chris- that gave me the warm-fuzzies. :) I can say that one thing CR has given me is a whole lot o' folks that feel like my family. We disagree a lot, sometimes we have lively debates... but at the end of the day, the regulars here feel like home to me. When I've been really down about any number of things (and I've had some doozies over the years), I know people here care about me, even though they've never met me. People have prayed for me. It's a remarkable feeling.

And Netti, it seems like a lot of folks in America in my age bracket I've known (mid 20s to mid 30s) just don't want to discuss religion, politics, and so forth. To spend any big quantity of time on reading about them, thinking, discussing is seen as kind of an "uppity" activity- like being pretentious. And also, not fun. Alternatively, I tried for a few years to blend with the conservative Christian crowd, who cared about this stuff, and on the whole they did not appreciate my "come one, come all" approach to spiritual learning (even when I toned it down). A lot of them couldn't get over me being an anthropologist (and hence an evolutionist, etc.). I eventually gave up trying to make too many "in person" friends, because I just couldn't seem to be what people wanted from me, even when I tried really hard. Fortunately, I have the internet and my CR pals to kick around all the oddball topics that make me tick. :D

And now I'm increasingly on a kick where everything amazes me in life. I walk to work looking up into the trees, and I'm fascinated by the form and color. I fascinated by the birds that hang out on the sidewalk. I could hang out and literally watch grass grow at times. I talk to the homeless people- I actually have had a few good conversations. Before long I will go from being pegged as eccentric and boring (and oddly enough, either overly religious or wantonly wild and unchurched, depending on who you ask)... to totally insane.

That makes sense to me. I find the oddest things fascinating and beautiful. I love the lines in old people's faces. I love old abandoned industrial buildings and all the weird looking apparatus that goes with electrical power generation and transmission. Old cracking asphalt roads with grass growing through that no one uses anymore. I still trip on the same things I did when I was a kid: faces in the woodgrain and the patterns of the curtains at night when a car goes by.

Chris

I love the lines on old people... one of my favorite things. I find it beautiful- the emotion and lessons of life etched on the body.

Ever try looking in a mirror at the bit of light that catches on your iris? You know, the tiny bright spot of light that is captured in your eye? Look really, really close. Focus all your energy on it, all your attention. Let your sight sort of get fuzzy in order to focus entirely on that bit of light, and really up close to the mirror. It is amazing... It looks like the whole universe in there. Kind of difficult to describe, but I've run into a few other people who have done it and they all saw the same incredible thing.

Yeah, this is me. I happen to actually think one day, "I need to see my eyeball really, really close- that speck of light looks mighty interesting!"

LOL

As if looking around at the world this way weren't enough, I am liable to do all sorts of things that embarrass most adults- jump in leaves, ride the merry-go-round, ride the shopping cart back to my car... And none of that approaches the odder things I do alone in my house- I sing funny little made-up songs to my dogs and horses (they seem to like them), I am prone to dancing (in an entirely unschooled and dorky manner), I have been known to slide down my stairs (you know, most kids do it- it's fun).

I'm like a big goofy kid in a woman's body. But, you know, it is what makes life worth living for me. Otherwise, I'd be way too serious. I take the joy as I find it.:D

I feel for you, Chris. People have told my husband I'm wierd, odd, and boring. :eek: That's what I get for being a big nerd and into religion, politics, and science.

What makes me really sad is people have said they think I believe myself to be superior, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. I really believe I can learn from every person and I'm intensely interested in what other people (everyone, anyone) thinks about most stuff (ethics, religion, politics, whatever). But the combination of my intense interest, my nerdy activities, and my tendency to be quite reserved in large groups (I can't help it- I'm an introvert) means I come across all wrong to people. The lack of my capacity to gossip, know much about celebrities' lives, or have any interest in fashion means that I'm typically seen as even more boring and odd by women than men.

I figure it could be worse... At least my family accepts me as I am. They even like me.
I know you're new to the Puget Sound region, but you've come to the right place. The abundance of introverted nerds we have here are actually valued by all. There are also plenty of people who will be more than happy to engage in deep, off the wall conversations, and plenty of natural wildlife and scenery to be awed by. {Something has to compensate for all of the dark, rainy days. That, and coffee. ;) }

CR, or rather the people who post here have helped me to form a great foundation on which to build on. Blasphemy, eh? Not at all - it is the open mindedness, and the fundamentalist approach from those here that have inspired me to pursue more than just status quo. I am blessed by posting here - even as little as I do. It is such a relief to be able to voice my own opinions w/o the harsh treatment I get on other boards from those who disagree.

I find that the leaders of the board have lead with a gentle hand, and that where they have lead me, wasn't always in line with what they themselves believe. It has been a truly refreshing experience.

I have found inspiration, and realization, and a coming "full circle" which ultimately humbled me to the point of bliss, lol.

Brian, thank you for starting CR - it has been a wonderful experience, and no matter how long I leave from here, I will [more than likely] always come back for the soul food I recieve from posting on these boards.

James

Back