A Psalm

Here's a selection, Luna

1 Samuel 2:1 Hannah also prayed and said, "My heart exults in the LORD; my strength is exalted in the LORD. My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in thy salvation.
2 "There is none holy like the LORD, there is none besides thee; there is no rock like our God.
3 Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed.
4 The bows of the mighty are broken, but the feeble gird on strength.

Hi Chris —

What I wanted to point out is that it's very hard, coming out of a bad religious experience, to get to the point where one isn't over reacting in the opposite direction. It's hard to let go of the bitterness and see the parts of religion and religious experience that are good because all of religion is colored by the bad experience. For those who have never experienced this struggle, I'm saying they have no way of empathizing with what it's like.

Point taken, and understood.

Mea culpa,

Thomas

A PSALM :)
Hope in Jehovah and keep his way,
And he will exalt you to take possession of the earth.
When the wicked ones are cut off, you will see [it]. PSALM 37;34

The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
And they will reside forever upon it.PSALM 37;29

But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,
And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.PSALM 37;11:)

psalm 2
1 Why have the nations been in tumult
And the national groups themselves kept muttering an empty thing?

2 The kings of earth take their stand
And high officials themselves have massed together as one
Against Jehovah and against his anointed one,

3 [Saying:] "Let us tear their bands apart
And cast their cords away from us!"

4 The very One sitting in the heavens will laugh;
Jehovah himself will hold them in derision.

5 At that time he will speak to them in his anger
And in his hot displeasure he will disturb them,

6 [Saying:] "I, even I, have installed my king
Upon Zion, my holy mountain."

7 Let me refer to the decree of Jehovah;
He has said to me: "You are my son;
I, today, I have become your father.

8 Ask of me, that I may give nations as your inheritance
And the ends of the earth as your own possession.

9 You will break them with an iron scepter,
As though a potter’s vessel you will dash them to pieces."

Not exactly sure where to put this, it's more for praise and fellowship, but I don't mean it just for Christians. Just sharing that I found this psalm to be expressing the prayer I want to make today.

1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.

2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?

3 My tears have been my food
day and night,
while men say to me all day long,
"Where is your God?"

4 These things I remember
as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go with the multitude,
leading the procession to the house of God,
with shouts of joy and thanksgiving
among the festive throng.

5 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and 6 my God.
My [c] soul is downcast within me;
therefore I will remember you
from the land of the Jordan,
the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.

7 Deep calls to deep
in the roar of your waterfalls;
all your waves and breakers
have swept over me.

8 By day the LORD directs his love,
at night his song is with me—
a prayer to the God of my life.

9 I say to God my Rock,
"Why have you forgotten me?
Why must I go about mourning,
oppressed by the enemy?"

10 My bones suffer mortal agony
as my foes taunt me,
saying to me all day long,
"Where is your God?"

11 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him,
my Savior and my God.

Hi luna this psalm is the inspiration for one of my most favorite hyms.. As The Deer..

it never fails when I hear this hymn I start crying. If you havent heard it I hope that you will get on the internet and look for it..

Heres a link with the lyrics and a midi of the instrumentals if you’re curious

http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/deer.html

Hi luna this psalm is the inspiration for one of my most favorite hyms.. As The Deer..

it never fails when I hear this hymn I start crying. If you havent heard it I hope that you will get on the internet and look for it..

Heres a link with the lyrics and a midi of the instrumentals if you’re curious

http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis2/deer.html

Thank you Faithful! I'll check out the link...I love a good cry. :)

Hope you had a blessed Easter,
Laurie

What I wanted to point out is that it's very hard, coming out of a bad religious experience, to get to the point where one isn't over reacting in the opposite direction. It's hard to let go of the bitterness and see the parts of religion and religious experience that are good because all of religion is colored by the bad experience. For those who have never experienced this struggle, I'm saying they have no way of empathizing with what it's like.

Chris

Hi, Chris-

Although I haven't experienced this with religion, I do feel I can empathize with this- it is similar to when one is abused by someone one is close to, I think.

Reading what you wrote reminded me of how people react when they are abused by someone they trusted. It isn't just a bad experience- it's betrayal, confusion, and all the rest. It's hard to rebound from betrayal and trust again, and feels safer to avoid it all together, unless a person is addicted to these negative relationships.

This is why there seems to be two responses to being abused by a significant other, for example. I've known women who leave only to immediately go back into an abusive relationship with some other guy. Other women accidentally get into an abusive relationship, and leave and never go back to that again. For women of the second type, trusting any guy in any relationship is very difficult.

Religion can be something so intimate, so deep, that like a parent or a lover we trust it-- we think we should be able to rely on it for comfort, for support. If the institution (and its people) betrays us, that trust is broken and it is very hard to recover. It is not just an issue of forgiveness. Forgiving an abusive person is much easier (in my experience) than trusting a new person. Because you've been really hurt and you just never know what is waiting for you underneath the shiny new exterior...

At any rate, just wanted to say I sympathize, if imperfectly...

Kim/Path

Thanks for the psalm, Luna- it is one of my favorites too. (And, FS, I also have heard the hymn version many times, and it is lovely. Brings me to tears too. It's one of my favorites and sometimes I sing it on my own while horseback riding.)

"It is better to take refuge in Jehovah than to trust in earthling man."—Ps. 118:8.

Wow, it just occurred to me that this psalm is what Jesus was talking about with the woman at the well!
"And where are these waters, that I may drink?" But she also asked a bigger question..."who is this God that I may worship Him?" And Jesus said in as much, "Woman, you are looking at Him." Then she ran and told everyone "Come meet the man that told me my entire life!" (that knows everything about me, down to the second I was conceived)

No fear, no embarrasment. Simply awe, and excitement. Who but God could have stripped away the guilt of a woman with the past she had, so that she could spread the News? No human I'm aware of... (lol) Must have been God. Satan can't strip away guilt. He has a tough enough time trying to mask it from the human conscience...:eek:

"It is better to take refuge in Jehovah than to trust in earthling man."—Ps. 118:8.
Translation, it is better to take refuge in God than to trust the Watch Tower and the "elders" that conceived of it. And God's name isn't Jehovah (lol). Just ask Bananna Brain, and Dauer. They are real Jewish faithful, not some symbolic virgins. And for every fault you find in trinitarian thought, 100 faults can be found in JW dogma. And you and yours ain't even been 'round the block yet! Less than 160 years old, four failed end of the earth declarations, Kingdom hall being Christ's seat since 1914 (the year the world exploded), insistance that Jesus is a superman, and not God, the Holy Spirit is a force, not an entity, and you are telling all of the rest of Christendom they are wrong and you are correct???? Mee, there is a passage in the Bible about fools thinking their way is right. Perhaps you aught to consider studying that entire paragraph, instead of just the phrase.

I do know this. Don't post another JW link. Protelytising is against CR rules.

Your deliberate breaking of said rules does not help your cause any.

v/r

Q

Quahom1;143471 I do know this. Don't post another JW link. Protelytising is against CR rules. Your deliberate breaking of said rules does not help your cause any. v/r Q[/quote said:
That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. KJV the bible is good :)

Acts 9:10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
I took a look at Dan Corner's article and it seems a little harsh, and actually goes a bit further than necessary. Dan Corner doesn't improve our knowledge of the Name at all, besides which neither verbal pronunciation is actually superior. The point is that we cannot read the translation out of any book anywhere, because its not like other names. If the JW's want to insist on using 'Jehovah' I don't see that there's any worse problem with that pronunciation than 'Yah'. According to Dan Corner, it translates directly to 'Jesus', which is an even more uneducated position to take! In the first place all those who believe and obey (including Jesus!) share in the Name.
Ephesians 3:14-15 said:
For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Jeremiah 14:9 Why shouldst thou be like a man confused, like a mighty man who cannot save? Yet thou, O L!RD, art in the midst of us, and we are called by thy name; leave us not."

I took a look at Dan Corner's article and it seems a little harsh, and actually goes a bit further than necessary. Dan Corner doesn't improve our knowledge of the Name at all, besides which neither verbal pronunciation is actually superior. The point is that we cannot read the translation out of any book anywhere, because its not like other names. If the JW's want to insist on using 'Jehovah' I don't see that there's any worse problem with that pronunciation than 'Yah'. According to Dan Corner, it translates directly to 'Jesus', which is an even more uneducated position to take! In the first place all those who believe and obey (including Jesus!) share in the Name.

That is not the point. The point is Jehovah is of Catholic origin from 1270.

Harsh? Why?

Oompahs-Loompahs are cool.

Back