hi.

Celeritas

the speed of light
Reaction score
doing some research here (i'm a writer)

nice to meet you and I hope you don't mind some curious questions every now and again...

personally i'm a scientifically minded atheist/animist crossbreed as far as my spiritual state can be described and though I find some of the Taoist thought i've examined interesting..i'm very unaffiliated and perfectly content with this.

My writing genre is science fiction. but you cannot create believable worlds without giving them religion. so my purpose here is to gain insight into how people view religion and spirituality.

again, nice to greet you all.

Check out the gallery in the lounge area for some book cover ideas. This one was made by Alex.

1. What did you mean by survivor?

2. What religious affiliation do you hold?

( As a trade-off, I will answer any questions about my personal spiritual leanings that you like.)

3. Why?

(nice pic, Alex.)

1. What did you mean by survivor?

2. What religious affiliation do you hold?

( As a trade-off, I will answer any questions about my personal spiritual leanings that you like.)

3. Why?

Just a suggestion, you might wish to take your questions out onto one of the other boards. I think you'll get more exposure there.

This board really is more for simple introductions.

Once again, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the site Cel! You sure you're not Tao? lol.... Seems like you have much in common with him.

hehe... It's Mr Otis!!! My cat! :D

I am still working on my own novel... This is the cover I came up with for it... Yeah I would -expect- a trip to the gallery to help inspire!!! I would demand nothing less!!! :D Go be inspired lol...

ResSacraMiserCover.png

:D

1. What did you mean by survivor? 2. What religious affiliation do you hold? 3. Why?
I'm Christian. I enjoy Sci-fi, like Dune or Foundation as Sci-fi can explore ideas by stripping away modern culture. Its very hard on religious people, though. Religion in sci-fi is an unlikely survivor or a throwback foiled by enlightenment and evolution, so there's always an underlying question of why people cling to whatever religion the author has cooked up.

.....there's always an underlying question of why people cling to whatever religion the author has cooked up.
Maybe similar to clinging to any ideology. People identify themselves with the ideas and beliefs they hold. Henceforth they defend the ideas and beliefs as though they are defending themselves. An extension of the desire to own and control perhaps....

Maybe similar to clinging to any ideology. People identify themselves with the ideas and beliefs they hold. Henceforth they defend the ideas and beliefs as though they are defending themselves. An extension of the desire to own and control perhaps....

ummm.....well.....hello to you too I guess....=/

Welcome Celery!

I like vegetables so I will probably like you.

-- Dauer

Welcome Celery!

I like vegetables so I will probably like you.

-- Dauer

ummm....no...not celery.

in einstein's equation e=mc2 the "c" stands for Celeritas, latin for swiftness and represents the universal constant known as the speed of light.

but celery is pretty good with peanut butter..=)

Are you good with peanut butter as well?

-- Dauer

Hi Celeritas, and I bid you warm welcome to CR :)

As Alex already remarked we hold a similar start point on the big questions, or so it would seem. I look forward to reading your ideas and views. Incidentally, have you read any of Iain M Banks "culture" sf novels? They inhabit an evolution that leaves religion largely redundant in a very believable and natural way.

tao

I enjoy Sci-fi, like Dune ...so there's always an underlying question of why people cling to whatever religion the author has cooked up.
Not really a good place to discuss this, but I would disagree. I think Frank Hebert did a wonderful job in developing the religious concepts he forwarded in Dune. Considering the institutional version of religion, he was quite keen in displaying a rather wide and diverse representation; from the Orange Catholic Bene Geserits to the Fremen of Arakis to the Navigators of the Guild...all reinterpretations of existing modern religions.

The only other sci-fi I can think of that comes close, and then only in a "spiritual" individual sense, is 2001: A Space Odyssey. There it is buried under far more mundane but equally enjoyable philosophic musings. Such as "who planted the monoliths?" and "who kept Dave Bowman as a lab rat until he became the Star Child?"

there are many many authors who have used religion in science fiction. excellent examples have been provided.

though fantasy usually holds more religious undertones than science fiction.

see you guys around!

Back