This is not the thread you're looking for...move along...

mahalo nui phyllis for the reference....Easter Island, aka Rapa Nui, is well known for the moai but they only stand there waiting to tell their true story (and it is not about how they were moved in my opinion) - the moai are linked in legends (for example only seven look outward toward the ocean (Ahu Akivi), the rest look inward toward the center of the island). They have tablets that were discovered with a language that has not been deciphered to date (you can check out one source www.deniart.com/rongo.shtml but my favorite remains the works done by a man named Jacques Guy *- his passion for his work is unbelievable). Then there is a chant referred to as "Atua Mata Riri" or the god with the angry eyes - there is a translation at the Smithsonian, but I've heard that some elders on Rapa Nui say is is not accurate (and I believe it from what I have seen). And there is also the "string figures" (like the old string of the cat and the cradle) but much more complex - few people know them anymore and they are created as one chant's the history of rapa nui. One must put all of the above things together to see within.

Regarding the ancient tablets it was said "Our ko hau rongorongo are lost! Future events will destroy these sacred tablets which we bring with us and those which we will make in our new land. Men of other races will guard a few that remain as priceless objects, and their maori will study them in vain without being able to read them. Our ko kau moto mo rongorongo will be lost forever. Aue! Aue!" I say "Auwe, Auwe - the future is here and the tablets will reveal themselves .... ko hau moto mo rongorongo was never lost .... just waiting as seeds buried and waiting for the return of the sun to bloom." he hawai'i au, poh

* Jacques Guy has worked on translating the Rongorongo tablets and has also worked on one called the Voynich Manuscript.

Just to add to the historical note - most of the men that worked at Fort Ross were Native Americans and Hawaiians - in the 1821 census of 121 men, 24 were Russian and the rest were Native Americans and Hawaiians. Hawaiians were brought to California by John Sutter. Long and somewhat sad history involved. poh

Ah, yes. History's laced with so many tears, both of joy and sadness.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Back