Can we bargain with God ?

From now, I will have to ignore your comments

Thank you

I can dig it. I had to put Nick_A on my iggy list. Some people just drive each other crazy. I'm not surprised I rub a few (or more) people the wrong way.

I still get to read soleil's pearls, so I think I come out ahead in the bargain. ;)

Can we bargain with God?

Isn't that what prayer is all about?
Namaste Dondi,

I don't think so. I think 'G!d's laws' were all set during the creation of the universe. We don't change them or G!d. Prayers, to me, make me move closer to G!d, closer to understanding and being within the laws. Prayers change my perception of reality, assist me in 'putting on the mind of Christ' as Paul indicates we should strive for.

Can we bargain with G!d, sure. Will we change G!d, no.

As in 'all our prayers are answered' and sometimes the answer is 'no'.

Who among us has not played the "let's make a deal" game? The true test of character is whether or not you make good on your end of the bargain. It seems to me that G-d has kept up his end without exception. I am not sure my record is so good...

The true test of character is whether or not you make good on your end of the bargain. It seems to me that G-d has kept up his end without exception. I am not sure my record is so good...

Well said. God will always forgive.

I don't see how you rubbed him the wrong way by simply sharing your opinion though, and I don't "obviously" see how you're wasting his time lol... Sure this is a christian area, but it's an interfaith site..... So go figure... I won't dare mention my opinion then wouldn't want to waste others time and get put on ignore :O Hmmm maybe I just wasted 30seconds of your time making you read this.... ah my bad.... maybe god can forgive me for it.

I think some people aren't here to engage and be challenged by alternative viewpoints. I understand the desire to hear how brilliant one's thoughts are. But I don't get the territoriality: "This is our space, see, it says Christianity on the link!"

That said, it is interesting that I don't go to the Jewish or Islam threads. Maybe I should broaden my horizons.

I don't think anybody can say how, why or when creation began. Certainly not me.

We believe in God, and that God created us. I cooked eggs for breakfast yesterday; I know that, because I was there, and saw it, and remember it. If you can't remember creation, then you must not be God, because I'm pretty sure God would remember something like that! ;)

can we bargain with God,?
Sure, I do it all the time,,,,,, and i yell and cry and beg and plead, and thank Him and just talk to Him,
like I said, all the time.
does it make a difference???
Well, to me it does.

can we bargain with God,?
Sure, I do it all the time,,,,,, and i yell and cry and beg and plead, and thank Him and just talk to Him,
like I said, all the time.does it make a difference???Well, to me it is.

Greymare, can I ask you what you yell, cry, beg and plead about if you can share. You got me curious.

Most of the time, I feel indebted to God. I let Him know what I am hoping for but leave it up to Him

oh, just "stuff". Its just the way I communicate with him now. But I also remember to thank him. You know, like this morning, i woke up, went outside, and said "wow, what a gorgeous day, thank you God". That was it, nothing dramatic , just thank you.
Sometimes, when I am alone I just talk out loud to him, just like He is there as a person, you know? That way, i am never alone. Thats just me, of course, its a personal thing.

Can we bargain with God? Bargain what?

We owe so much to God that we are not in a position to demand anything
On the other end, we can make promises and be grateful for his blessing and unconditional love

Most of the time, I feel indebted to God. I let Him know what I am hoping for but leave it up to Him

That's most peoples problems.....

I want something, I make it happen.... I don't pray to the limitliess void above this sphere.... Hoping a magical being will grant me it, Then become dissapointed and whine and complain cause I (suprisingly) didn't get it......I want it, I take it.

And this just doesn't go for material items or what not.... Peace you want it? Take it.... Nothing up there *indicates to the abodes above with his eyes* is going to bring it to you. You have to go out and get it. Hoping for it... Talking about it, praying for it... Doesn't make it. It doesn't cut it... I feel along the lines kind of CZ... You need to bargain with self..... I like some aspects of religion... They can offer peace.... But then I would say also hope but I am not totally sure if that is false hope which sure maybe it's false but I guess it's still hope eh..... I feel peoples potential is seriously cut back because of their faith sometimes and that is sad to witness..... Letting their fleeting life pass them by while they wait by a radio listening to white noise hoping for a message to come through nothing ever comes through yet they sit there listening to it and sending their message through.... I'm sending out an sos to the world.

I'm just not much on the beseeching prayer...Oh G!D if you'll only let me pass this test, I'll go to church every sunday for the rest of my life....

I don't remember doing that.

I more give thanx for what I've got, tend to look at how much better off I am than so many stories I hear about, and I'm grateful for that.

I've been broke, cold, hungry...but always known by grace I'll get thru.

Been laid up with double pneumonia and no one around to know about it, days without being able to get out of bed...thankful for a bed. Currently have a torn ACL and miniscus...but with assistance I can get around, what is my knee compared to issues others have.

No, I'll not bargain, I'll be grateful.

That's most peoples problems.....
I want something, I make it happen.... I don't pray to the limitliess void above this sphere.... Hoping a magical being will grant me it, Then become dissapointed and whine and complain cause I (suprisingly) didn't get it......I want it, I take it.

I agree with you. I was not talking about being a passive object. I am not talking about waiting for magic either. Why would I ask for something if I cannot do my 100% effort. Faith without work is not the solution.

Yes, one can bargin with God. But it will do no good. No one has ever canged Gods mind. NO one has ever changed Gods mind. Why is this? Gods know the end from the beginning. God is perfect. God never changes. These are scripture. If God is perfect and does not change and knows the end from the beginning why in His name would He change anything. One of the most famous barginning with God stories was the one between God and Abraham. It was when God was going to destroy Sodom and Gahmorra. God told Abraham there were no rightgious men is the two cities. They were all evil and He would destroy them. Abraham said Lord what if you find 100 rightgious men will you spare the cities. Yes God says. Abraham bargin all the way down to 5 or 10 rightgious people and God agreed that He would not destroy the cities. Well it looks like Abraham bargined with God and won, got his way. But it was not so. Abraham did nothing that God knew before hand what Abraham would do. God knew before hand that there were no rightgious people in the two cities, except Lott and his family. God knew that Abraham would bargin with Him. So God did excatley what He intended to do from the beginning. God let Abraham bargin with Him, but knew what the outcome would be. No one changes Gods mind. God does not change (scripture) God knows the End from the beginning. (scripture) and God is perfect (scripture). These are the facts. Why would God change anything He has done if He is perfect is all His ways??

Darren

Yes, one can bargain with God. But it will do no good. No one has ever canged Gods mind. NO one has ever changed Gods mind.

There are many `Ifs `in the Bible. God is telling the chosen people what
would happen if they do this or this ? There are many other examples of
secondary course throughout the bible due to the faithleness of the
people. For instance the Babylonian captivity was a secondary course.

In several occasions God does not carry his announced plan;
2 Kings 20:1-6 God instructs Isaiah to tell Hezekiah he will not recover
from his sickness and will die. Hezekiah prays with tears. God relents and adds 15 years to his life.

Jonah: God tell Jonah to tell the people of Nineveh that they will be
destroyed in 40 days. The people repent and God does not destroy Nineveh.

Matthew 11:23 Jesus affirms that Sodom would not have been destroyed if` they had repented.

Why is this? God knows the end from the beginning. God is perfect. God never changes. These are scripture. If God is perfect and does not change and knows the end from the beginning why in His name would He change anything.

Genesis 6:6 The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

God did not wish to have humankind suffer for thousand of years. God did not wish to be separated from his children.

One of the most famous bargainning with God stories was the one between God and Abraham. It was when God was going to destroy Sodom and Gahmorra. God told Abraham there were no rightgious men is the two cities. They were all evil and He would destroy them. Abraham said Lord what if you find 100 rightgious men will you spare the cities. Yes God says. Abraham bargin all the way down to 5 or 10 rightgious people and God agreed that He would not destroy the cities. Well it looks like Abraham bargined with God and won, got his way. But it was not so. Abraham did nothing that God knew before hand what Abraham would do. God knew before hand that there were no rightgious people in the two cities, except Lott and his family. God knew that Abraham would bargin with Him. So God did excatly what He intended to do from the begining. God let Abraham bargain with Him, but knew what the outcome would be.
Matt 11:23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. [a] If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.

Jesus does not agree with you as I mentioned above.

No one changes Gods mind. God does not change (scripture) God knows the End from the beginning. (scripture) and God is perfect (scripture). These are the facts. Why would God change anything He has done if He is perfect is all His ways??Darren

God's will does not change but the fufillment of God's will rest on man cooperation. We can see this over and over in the bible. Man has free will because true love requires it. When Abraham fail in the first sacrifice of animals, he has to do it again later with his own son as sacrifice. He did succeed the second time

This idea that God is always in control and men are puppets and it does not matter what they do is in total contradiction with the bible. It does not mean that God will change his purpose and will for us. He needs our cooperation.

I'm still having trouble understanding why anyone would want to bargain with God instead of just asking him for what they want or need. I mean, Jesus is pretty clear on the fact that God cares and wants good things for us. The Lord's Prayer asks for daily provision, forgiveness, and safety; is there any need to ask for these things on the condition that you give something back to God in return?

Is there anything that anyone in here wants that they don't think God will give them if they ask?

I'm still having trouble understanding why anyone would want to bargain with God instead of just asking him for what they want or need. I mean, Jesus is pretty clear on the fact that God cares and wants good things for us. The Lord's Prayer asks for daily provision, forgiveness, and safety; is there any need to ask for these things on the condition that you give something back to God in return?
Is there anything that anyone in here wants that they don't think God will give them if they ask?

The point of the thread was really about God asking us something and being the ones bargaining to get out of it. My question was: How can we be in a position to bargain with God since we owe Him so much ?

The point of the thread was really about God asking us something and being the ones bargaining to get out of it. My question was: How can we be in a position to bargain with God since we owe Him so much ?

Ohhhhhhhh, so that's what we're allowed to talk about. :rolleyes:

Ok, well then let's just agree that we owe God more than we could ever give God, so therefore we can't bargain with God, and then close the thread.

This conversation is now officially over for everyone, and if anyone even thinks about adding to it, then please be advised that your thoughts are not related to the point of this thread, so keep them to yourself.

Now that that's settled, who wants ovaltine?:p

Back