Big change on the way

iBrian

Peace, Love and Unity
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The original aim of CR was to create a melting point of all religious and spiritual views - to provide resources and information, and especially an area for interfaith discussion.

I think CR has succeeded in some ways more than others, and not done so well in other areas.

Of especial concern has been the site's identity - the domain name is awful. Accidentally miss the hyphen and you end up on a Christian evangelical site which obviously has a very different aim to CR. In business it could be called "brand confusion".

In order to build on where CR has succeeded - and to improve on where we need to - CR itself will be sacrificed for the new incarnation - Interfaith.org

I bought the domain back in September, but I've only just been able to get around to start developing it.

The big job is to start moving all of the religious texts hosted on CR to Interfaith.org, while also running a new news section, which will cover religion in the news, as well as ancient history, science, and environmental issues.

Once I'm confident most of the texts have been moved, I'll then transfer the forum across.

Everything is still at the early stages, and I tend to do things in bursts - which means I'll probably just jump the forum move on everybody when you least expect it, simply because I've managed to allocate time to moving it. :)

I thought I'd therefore better give everyone a heads up on what's being planned, so it's not too much of a shock when the site is finally moved. :)

In the meantime, any questions at all, feel free to ask. :)

"Interfaith" sounds much better :)

It might even bring more people, because im assuming that more people search for "interfaith" as opposed to "comparative religion"

I hope that the changes will include fixes for some of the gremlins that afflict this site regularly. I was just corresponding with one of our newer members who is experiencing problems with being unable to save her edits and losing posts. All I could say was that this stuff happens all the time and I have no idea why these bugs haven't been ironed out by now. Very often the quick reply window just won't work. Very often I am unable to save my edits. Sometimes the whole site just seems to freeze. Any navigation just times out.

Chris

Good thing you mentioned it. Thats happened a couple of times to me aswell, where I havent been able to save edits Ive made

Good thing you mentioned it. Thats happened a couple of times to me aswell, where I havent been able to save edits Ive made

This is kind of a band-aid for the problem, but if you find yourself waiting when trying to save an edit, click 'go advanced' and save from there...don't even wait for it to time out.

I've long planned to move from the current server, so I'm sincerely hoping that this will help iron out the bugs.

I just looked it up. I love the new look. Very snazzy.

This is kind of a band-aid for the problem, but if you find yourself waiting when trying to save an edit, click 'go advanced' and save from there...don't even wait for it to time out.
The thing is, it didnt time-out or anything.. it just wouldnt save at all

The thing is, it didnt time-out or anything.. it just wouldnt save at all
my solution to this bug has been to click on the advance save button and then save, and it does so quite efficiently. I ran into the same issue described, and happened upon the fix I utilize and have not had an issue since.

It is just teaching us patience, I needed more lessons anyhow.

My issue has been that sometimes when I sign in, it says "You may" post etc. and sometimes "You may not" and sometimes it lets me for a little while and then says I may not (it has saved me sometimes from putting up ill-considered posts, but it's usually a pain!) It has something to do with which computer I am on, but not with total consistency.

I think the new domain name is a great one. One question (may be a dumb one, but never hurts to ask)- will all our archived/past posts get transferred over, or are we starting from zilch?

I ask because years ago another board I was on moved to a new site, but lost all the old posts, which was sad because there was a lot of good stuff in there.

Last edited:
Everything will be carried over - the only thing we should lose are the bugs!

Back