Moving forward

Muslimwoman

Coexistence insha'Allah
Reaction score
I am having a little cry of happiness and wanted to share.

Shortly after I married my husband I found out about his serious antisemitic attitude and was frankly devistated, it has taken us to the brink of divorce a few times.

It has taken a long time to teach him the little I know of the history of Judaism. When he came to visit the UK in December I showed him all my books about the holocaust, complete with graphic photos. It has been an uphill struggle to re-educate. I showed him the B'Tselem website and he was amazed and a little sceptical.

Tonight he came in from work, a huge smile on his face and said "I saw on the news in the shop, yesterday about 3000 Jews have carried food and water and cigarettes to take for the Palestinian people. Maybe there is good people there."

He is a little confused why I burst into tears. :eek:

So to anyone that is struggling against hatred, chin up, people can be re-educated, it just takes time and patience. I am a very happy woman tonight. There is more to be done but it is a start. :D

Salaam Sally:

Sooo happy for you and your husband. Sometimes it is almost impossible to break through generations of labeling, hatred, and propaganda. But little moves over time will usually make the difference. There are always good and a few bad people everywhere.

Hang in there my sweet. Each of must stand up to the ugliness every day for it to be effectively diminished.

Peace,love....flow....;)

These sorts of stories warm my heart, MW. This is one of the reasons the news should focus more on *good* stuff. So many good things go unnoticed, and so people assume the worst about others. I'm so glad things are looking up for you and your husband.

thats great sally, you have been working very hard obviously and you are a greater person than me to persisit for so long. Do you realize that the wisdom you share here is also breaking down the barriers. not only, with us that read it , but quite often I discuss things I have learnt on here with my family and friends. Especially the Islam/Muslim thing that people seem to be focused on lately. you are doing a important thing here and I just wanted you to know it.

I am having a little cry of happiness and wanted to share.

Shortly after I married my husband I found out about his serious antisemitic attitude and was frankly devistated, it has taken us to the brink of divorce a few times.

It has taken a long time to teach him the little I know of the history of Judaism. When he came to visit the UK in December I showed him all my books about the holocaust, complete with graphic photos. It has been an uphill struggle to re-educate. I showed him the B'Tselem website and he was amazed and a little sceptical.

Tonight he came in from work, a huge smile on his face and said "I saw on the news in the shop, yesterday about 3000 Jews have carried food and water and cigarettes to take for the Palestinian people. Maybe there is good people there."

He is a little confused why I burst into tears. :eek:

So to anyone that is struggling against hatred, chin up, people can be re-educated, it just takes time and patience. I am a very happy woman tonight. There is more to be done but it is a start. :D

Mubarak!

Tears here as well.

And cheers there!

We are simply a culmination of our thoughts and experiences. And if our thoughts and experiences are largely biased, which most of ours are in one way shape or form, it is always a struggle to overcome what was taught to us by folks we respect.

Especially since when our first inclination is that if they taught us wrong, what else did they teach us wrong, and what will happen to my house of cards.

That's great MW. It's always nice to read something positive rather than the same old news about people doing bad things... :)

What do you mean Hosny Mubarak ...... sir, sir he's swearing at me sir, tell him off sir :p

It has certainly been a 2 way process. When I first came here I was a staunch supporter of Israel - that was before I bothered to learn about the situation and history. Amazing how propaganda gets through to us - I would have supported Israel up the wazoo but had never bothered finding out what I was supporting. I now know better and am very ashamed I was so taken in.

Does that mean I am very stupid or just very gullable? :eek:

That's wonderful, Sally. :)
thats great sally, you have been working very hard obviously and you are a greater person than me to persisit for so long. Do you realize that the wisdom you share here is also breaking down the barriers. not only, with us that read it , but quite often I discuss things I have learnt on here with my family and friends. Especially the Islam/Muslim thing that people seem to be focused on lately. you are doing a important thing here and I just wanted you to know it.
Ditto that! :D

Hello MW (or can I call you Sally?), nice story.

...Does that mean I am very stupid or just very gullable? :eek:

I won't flatter you :p, but I believe it's always for the better when someone sees the bigger picture.

How do you know you aren't being taken in by propaganda now?

Because I now see both sides of the bigger picture, instead of just one side. I have learnt that the truth is virtually always lurking in the middle of what each side says.

Because I now see both sides of the bigger picture, instead of just one side. I have learnt that the truth is virtually always lurking in the middle of what each side says.
Yeah, being called "antisemitic" for criticizing Israel and being called "Islamiphobic" for criticizing wrongs done in the name of Islam gets rather old, doesn't it?

He is a little confused why I burst into tears.

So to anyone that is struggling against hatred, chin up, people can be re-educated, it just takes time and patience.
That's great news! Happy for you! I can see where you'd be invested in the challenge. Thanks for sharing. I'm personally looking at a failed mission after a whole year's of online work with someone who won't even tell me his/her name. Aint that crazy? :confused:

Yeah, being called "antisemitic" for criticizing Israel and being called "Islamiphobic" for criticizing wrongs done in the name of Islam gets rather old, doesn't it?
I see what you mean. I wonder why someone would persist along these lines when it has the potential to border on socially inappropriate.

I see what you mean. I wonder why someone would persist along these lines when it has the potential to border on socially inappropriate.

Re the perceived failure - we can only do our best and no more but at least you tried.

I don't think the issue is really what is socially appropriate, it is that we are failing to see the bigger picture. Our media pumps one side of the story all the time. I watch the news in Arabic and English and you would think they were talking about two different planets, with each side stating their biased case so convincingly. So for people in the west of course they believe what they are told, they do not have the other side of the story and likewise people over here that only watch the news in Arabic have a very biased and bigotted view.

Such a shame, it makes me so sad and yes I used to be part of the problem but until you get the opportunity to see life from the other side of the fence it is difficult to understand how bad the 'spin' is.

Back